Allow starting level of ZERO for techs

I’ve been meaning to write this for quite a while, but Jay should consider adding ZERO as a an option for the starting level of techs. IMHO, this is a simple/elegant solution to address the requests from numerous players to (effectively) disable experimentation.

I.e. if I setup a game with starting Experimentation of 0 and “NO Experimentation Research”, it effectively becomes a no-op in the game. I.e. you do NOT get any bonus tech points at production.

Allowing a starting level of zero can be used as-is for all the other techs:
Weapons=0: you basically can NOT attack - you’ll never win!*
Manu=0: you just keep cranking ships per the existing formula.
Terra=0: ditto comment above that existing formula still works for construction
Range=0: Same formula - just one less LY of reach
Scan=0: Same formula … see a pattern yet!
Bank=0: Ditto (i.e. you get no bonus)

• The one corner case is two ships hitting an unoccupied star at exactly the same time from exactly the same distance. I don’t know how @JayKyburz handles that corner case now (i.e. who gets defensive bonus), but if he does not randomly assign it, then it is zero versus zero … black-hole annihilation! :wink:

I’ll bet a trivial code change of just adding a “0” to list of “Allowed Starting Tech Values” … or if you are worried about the other params, just add it as an option for Experimentation.

Please fix experimentation in games with locked techs
Please fix experimentation in games with locked techs
Weapons 1 is absurd weak
Duelling Tournament - THE FINAL
Tweaks to create game options

I second the idea. Especially for the small, even duel games disabling exp would be great.

It’s not quite as simple as that for weapons. I think the game assumes there are no enemy carriers sitting at a star together.

It would be easy for some techs, but I’m not sure I want to enabled it for some and not all.

I will fix it up one day, but i’m not sure its a huge priority unless we want to have a lot more 1v1 duling tournaments!

I’m all for this. that way we can lock down that pesky experimentation. I can fight another player but it’s real hard to fight experimentation luck.