Blight Beta: Known Issues and Bugs

And another one: the new Dread Knight seems to be stacking his buff on his followers rather than refreshing it. This group of Zombie Humans has +12 Strength: +6 from the Plains and +6, apparently, from the Dread Knight buff:

The buff list shows the correct value, though. The duration seems to be stacking as well, unless it’s a 12h refresh but a 24h buff:

I don’t have any real-time games with Dread Knights where I can check out the ongoing behavior (and this one is about to die in my SP game). My guess is that if this is indeed a 24h buff, the two castings are just not recognizing that they’re the same effect, and stacking when they shouldn’t be.

do you know if this was one of the games that ended and I force restated?

I will have a look at the dreadknight again later today.

Ahh. It was definitely one of the games that was ended prematurely; I restarted it with the B key refresh fix you’d mentioned someplace, but it never did find its way back into my active games list. I bet that’s the issue.

This week’s Tournament map is an easy place to reproduce the Dread Knight bug, since it starts with two Human Bosses.

If you’re “lucky” enough to get two Dread Knights to start, you can also see that where their effects overlap, zombies receive the buff from both of them. In the screenshot below, the selected stack of Zombie Humans has a total modifier of +9: +3 from each Dread Knight’s most recent buff, plus another +3 from the previous casting of the closer one.

@IronGears seems to have found a fun bug in the Tournament scoring: if you lose, but still have a surviving army, your Tournament score is based on the living population instead of the game timer.

fixing now

I’m just watching the DrBwaa and Jay back and forth like a tennis match. Good stuff!

2 Likes

By the way, my serpent charmers started working as expected when I put them where they could only target unblighted settlements. Maybe that could help figure out what was going on? When they were hitting a mix of blighted and unblighted settlements (or the one I put where it hit only blighted ones), I was getting values that didn’t seem to correspond to any subset of settlement types in particular.

Do you remember if any of the locations were empty of civilians not not producing anymore.

edit: just tested this in the editor and all seems to be working as it should. It’s a little weird that settlement with no people produces gold but whatever.

Yes, some of them were empty but not blighted.

For clarity, should blighted settlements count for the serpent charmer? I could go either way on that, but the targets definitely indicate that blighted ones will count.

I’ll let you know if I get another game where I can reproduce the weirdness with any consistency.

A player in this game has ended up with negative Mana after using a High Elf with exactly 20 Mana available:

Oops, thanks, I will fix that today.

I’ll do some more testing of the Serpent Charmers today. Jay says that Blighted locations don’t produce Gold, but if they’re showing a target then they might.

I wonder if it might be a better power if they had to go to the town and add a buff so that they town produces more Gold each payday, so it would be scaled by population.

I think the fact that they’re not scaled by population is what makes them so important right now. Trolls have so little population and money to work with in general, the Serpent Charmer is effectively their only source of income on maps without a whole bunch of easily accessible Goblin or Dwarven towns. If the Serpent Charmer had to run around (or rather, walk around very slowly) visiting towns in person, it would have to be a pretty enormous payoff to make it worthwhile.

To be clear, I think the Serpent Charmer is very good (and a cool concept) as it is, maybe even a touch too powerful in certain situations. But if he’s not intended to generate Gold from blighted settlements, he definitely shouldn’t be producing targets on them :wink:

1 Like

They are currently showing a target on Blighted settlements, but not getting any gold for them. Was this the issue, or do you think was there other weirdness from blighted settlements being in the area, and unblighted settlements not paying?

There was definitely other weirdness. The first thing I did was take a count of how many of the targeted settlements were blighted, unblighted, and unblighted but empty, and no combination of those sets was able to add up to the gold I was actually getting.

I haven’t been able to reproduce this in any of my SP games, though, and I’m not playing the Trolls in any MP games right now, so maybe it was just something weird going on temporarily, or a really incredible series of coincidental production rounds at exactly the same times that I was using the Charmers.

That is weird. Empty settlements do pay, but blighted ones do not. We’ll have to keep an eye out for it happening again.

1 Like

The last tutorial has some incorrect info; it still says you can only add six different types of card to your deck. It also says that drawing a card costs 1 Valour, not 2.

Also there’s some brokenness with the tutorial boxes being offset a bit from whatever they’re intending to point at. It seems to be related to which side you put the UI on; UI on the left offsets the tips to the left; UI on the right offsets them to the right.

Thanks for the heads up. I’m might have another pass on the tutorial next week. I want to add some heroes to the first tutorial and see if we can’t make it more dramatic.