In every game I play, I find that I always end up with a glut of Food. I’ll end up selling hundreds (sometimes hundreds per turn!) of food throughout a game. I’ve always thought Food should have some continuing role to play in the upkeep of your goblin kingdom. Right now, you spend 8 Food and 8 Wood to build a ship, but then after that, it’s 4 metal, 8 wood, 4 wood & 4 metal. Food doesn’t factor in again.
Metal for Attack and Wood & Metal for Armor make sense, but plain wood for Health seems off to me. Yes, you need wood to make repairs to the ship - that makes sense. But you’ve got a goblin crew aboard that ship. They need to be fed, right? I’d like to suggest the following change to the Health of a ship:
- Increasing the health of a ship (+4) requires 4 Wood + 1 Food per Buccaneer aboard the ship.
- Increasing the health of a settlement (+4) requires 4 Wood + 4 Food.
- Ships and settlements cost 2 Food each to maintain per turn.
- Increasing the health of a ship (+4) requires 4 Wood + 1 Food per every 2 Buccaneers aboard a ship.
- Increasing the health of a settlement (+4) requires 4 Wood + 2 Food.
Just a thought to make Food more of a required resource, balance resource needs, and tie in the population of ships to the amount of resources needed for them.