Game won't load

I would vote for this too. :relaxed:

From what you guys wrote here, I guess it is indeed a matter of fleet sizes. Was a major battle taking place this turn? And are your weapons fixed?

Weapons are fixed; I believe the largest battle to take place that turn was just over 100k ships per side. I don’t think that would be the issue because a few turns prior a 300k+ battle took place without any setbacks.

If it is just the massive ship count, probably under 6 million total, can the ship count and build rate both be reduce by a factor of 100 allowing this game to come to a conclusion?

I’m really sorry about this guys, when I first build the game I never expected fixed weapons games and for battles to get so large. You are really pushing the bounds of what the server can handle.

I’d rather not open up the game and try and reduce ships numbers because last time I tried I actually fucked it up and didn’t do it properly.

That’s fair, it’s a shame the winners won’t get their records but if I see them in another game I’ll send through some renown.

Perhaps another victory condition would fix this. Say when total game shipcount exceeds some threshold, game over. Call it a tech victory. Might also address what you were trying to achieve with this thread: New Rule - Ship limits at stars

The new combat algorithm fixes this problem. Won’t be an issue in future.

1 Like

Any way to apply that algorithm to that game?

If it’s FUBAR anyway, better to try than not???

I had created and started this game before the problem happened with the Double Einstein Rings game. If that had happened prior, I would have set this one up differently. Like I said it was specifically designed for big fleets late in the game. It’s been really fun and very different from other games.

Trying anything to salvage the game would be great. The game finally started moving after several weeks of buildup to have enough ships to mount a valid attack across the maps gap of 2 - 4 days of travel between clusters.

How about if I patch the weapons tech to 200 instead of 2. That might be a better method that trying to reduce ships counts.

@cptcrackers this is your game right?

I’ll wait to hear from you before doing anything.

@JayKyburz. Is there some weapons number in between that might still be ok? Or can you up the defensive bonus?

@monkeywrench @Scape @Blank What do you guys think? Are we good with weapons at a level where the defensive bonus won’t really have much impact?

If there was a way to install the new combat algorithm, that would be best. As far as I know, that wouldn’t change any advantages.
If that can’t happen, I’m just as good with a weapon increase. The total ship count shouldn’t get more than twice as large as it is now (and it probably won’t even do that), because the combat has finally started, so I’m not sure if we need to jump from 2 to 200 on weapons. However, a 3-2 advantage in combat is a pretty big deal. Once you get to past a certain point (like 11-10) the defensive advantage really doesn’t mean as much so going to 200 might just be the safer route anyhow.

um yeah, that would be an easy solution. Would be good to see how well it deals with such large numbers as well.

Does the game have formal alliances?

Yes it does have formal alliances.

I think suddenly having allies docking or leapfrogging stars in this particular game would be the lesser of two evils.

The reason is that the distances are really far so someone that already put 100K on a star to defend against a ship coming in slowly with 200K would get burned pretty bad since they probably don’t have enough ships nearby to make up the difference.

Monkey, Scape, and Blank? Am I on the right track with that? Scape is a very different tactical position than I am right now, so hopefully he’ll say what he thinks. I’m not sure who Blank is in the game.

Ok, I have a patch written for the game that changes it to combat version 2. Please let me know asap if you want me to pull the trigger.

Looks like you have missed two turns already.

My vote is the new algorithm. It seems like that would change the current situations the least, and would allow more testing of the new algorithm at high ship counts.
Cptcrackers would just need to post the new combat rules on the game’s message board because at least one of the players isn’t on this thread.

If we’re voting, I’ll go for the new algorithm. Has the game been playing while we’ve been locked out, or will we pick up where we left off?

two turns have passed and any unfortunately there is nothing I can do about it.

It’s nearly 4pm here in Australia. If I don’t hear back from @cptcrackers in the next hour or so with a solid yes another turn might tick over before I can submit the patch tomorrow morning.

Yes, the new algorithm is the safest way and I don’t think anyone can have anything against it. So I guess you can deploy it.

uploading now. fingers crossed.

well it seems to be opening now. - let me know how it works out.