Joined Cluster 1v1 with AI Bots

There’s a thread about the NP 1v1 tournament … and I was thinking about how one might make it a bit more interesting/challenging … and came up with the map below.

It’s basically a “joined cluster” where the two Human players take the middle positions (right next to each other - green circle and blue square) and they are both surrounded by AI’s. The coordinates to create this are:
[ [0,0],[-11.99,0],[11.99,0],[-5.995,10.39],[5.995,10.39],[-5.995,-10.39],[5.995,-10.39],[23.98,0],[17.985,10.39],[17.985,-10.39] ]

I’m not sure how this would play, but I created a password’ed game in order to force-start it with AI’s. BTW, it would be nice if the map/game generator had the ability to specify certain positions as being AI … then one would not have to password protect plus it could be a DARK galaxy. I used default params and turned-based, so easy on the sleep schedule, but can move along quite quickly if both are submitting.

If anyone wants to give it a shot, shoot me a PM.
UPDATE: Also scroll down to see slight modification/stretch of this map.

I like where you are going with this approach of yours of setting up 1vs1 with multiple A.I’s mixed in. I think it has a chance to make games much more challenging for 2 experienced players to really match wits, rather than win games based on who gets the luckiest starting planet set up.

I, too, like turn-based games as they are more convenient to play and also interfere with real world activities less. What is your opinion on the difference between turn-based vs real-time in terms of the advantages/disadvantages? It was suggested to me awhile back that turn-based games favor the aggressive offensive player against more defensive minded players, while real-time balances out more as the defensive player can’t be “surprised” so easily and has time to react and shift ships around. I’ve found this to be the case more often than not, especially since I’m a hyper aggressive attacker and like to overwhelm players who are more passive. Imo, the greater the number of hours in a move (ex 24 hours per tick vs say 8) makes it even more unbalanced. I mention this because I see where you have 8 hour moves. If it was 4 hour moves, would it balance the game more for different style of players? I realize it slows things down a bit, but if it is just 2 players who are committed, you can still get 4-6 moves in per day, even more in the early stages of the game.

My schedule is really busy right now (I’m trying to just wrap up the games before heading on vacation), but after the holiday season I would very much like to do some Hulk battling :slight_smile:

WRT luckiest starting star setup: Note that I did a twin-ring to address that exact issue. Until mirrored galaxies are enabled (which would be GREAT as twin-ring is kinda boring), it’s just not fair for someone to get a dealt a crappy starting position in a 1v1 game.

WRT turn/real-time: I pretty much ONLY play turn-based … real-time can totally interfere with RL … plus when do you sleep in a real-time game?!?

Yea, some advantage to being aggressive in a turn-based game … and as you correctly point out, even more in a 24-tick jump game … those are just crazy … especially once Warp Gates come into play.

For this particular game, I just did a 8-tick jumps because that is the default. There is an option to do 6-tick jumps … but nothing for 4-ticks … would be nice if Jay added that. There actually is a 1-tick jump option. I’ve never played that before, but that would combine aspects of both types of games since you could only advance a tick at a time (i.e. you would be able to see someone coming and react) and if players are committed to playing/submitting, the games moves along at a greatly accelerated rate … plus you can take a break for RL.

FYI FWIW: Here’s a similar 1v1 map … basically I just added a layer of AI’s between the two players … so you wouldn’t start out right next to each other, but there certainly would be a Battle Royal for the middle!

The other Human player would take Yellow Square - Coordinates are:
[ [0,0],[-11.99,0],[11.99,0],[-5.995,10.39],[5.995,10.39],[-5.995,-10.39],[5.995,-10.39],[23.98,0],[17.985,10.39],[17.985,-10.39],[35.975,0],[29.98,10.39],[29.98,-10.39] ]
PM me if you are have any suggestions/preference … and/or want to try to SMASH the HULK! :wink:

@HULK - I think I may want to try out this map.

Really though, 25 stars/player, and 13 positions = 325 stars = 163 to win for 50% or 217 for 66%, so… yeah.

I’m traveling for the next couple of days, but will send you a PM when I get back to see if you (or someone else?) wants to give it a go.

I’m back from traveling - ready to go mano-mano.
We can do the map above … or below is a simpler/faster map which is 1v1 plus 5AI’s - basically a cluster with you and I taking the far ends - coordinates are:
[ [0,0],[-11.99,0],[11.99,0],[-5.995,10.39],[5.995,10.39],[-5.995,-10.39],[5.995,-10.39] ]

PM me if you want to take on the HULK! :wink:

Click on image to see full-size … top part is truncated by the forum software.

Bumping thread as I’m between trips if anyone wants to take on the Jolly Green Giant … :wink:

Wouldn’t this just require the “players” to not fight each other? Lest it becomes unwinnable? Or do you also win if the opponent has like 1 star left and you have 2?

Seems to me the one who emerges victorious is the one who can keep “1 less star than opponent” for as long as possible - while still having no invasion from the AI (so you can trade most techs).Feels more like you win by “gaming the system” than actual skill with so many ai.

Winner is first to 66% of stars - you must eventually face off against the other human player to win.

There certainly is a balance between expansion to make yourself strong and playing “nice” with the AI. Plus at some point, you will become the leader, and then everyone goes hostile against you, which gives the other player a chance to catch up …

Well I think it will end up just waiting to see who is first attacked by the bots. And that person will get a constantly bigger drawback as he can’t trade with the bots nor “end the war” in an efficient way.

The other person can just force feed the bot…