KING OF THE HILL - don't believe?

He still has two hours… But be ready.

Ross, there is no point in making it incredibly high. When one team mistakenly captures such a star, they lose all their points and a chance to place, enraging them to go against the game.
Punishing for something doesn’t mean to forbid it. And when I say that, I am talking from personal experience from both sides - I was the one who did something despite being penalized and also the one making a ridiculous penalty for something I didn’t want others to do, which they did anyways, accepting the penalty.

This game was invite only for few reasons, one of them was personal communication with the candidates, which would discourage and filter the trash.

If someone breaks the rules or decides to ruin the game for others, it will only strengthen the bond between ourselves and they will probably end up on 14 black lists in game and in G+ or forums.

I wasn’t being totally serious. I agree, damage to long term reputation would be punishment enough. :smile:

So has this game started? How is it going? I believe there are a number of people who are interested in seeing how/whether this idea works well - updates please!

1 Like

#Cycle 3, Tick 94*
[size=9]*1 cycle = 28 ticks.[/size]

Green: Trekkies
Purple: Sherpas
Red: OTHERs
Yellow: SEVER
Cyan: TEAM 5

[size=9]*Shrike is part of OTHER team.[/size]

#King of the Hill API
[size=18]http://nptriton.cqproject.net/koth-api.php[/size]

Usage:

• visit the link just like that and you get the scoreboard
  • add ?html to obtain a html input-ready code and a JSON
  • add ?json to obtain a JSON
  • add ?stars and you get the JSON of hill star ownership through the whole game
  • or you can even specify a tick range ?stars&ticks=<range>

<range> can be

x     to get specific tick
x-    from x
-x    to x
x-y   from x to y

for example /koth-api.php?stars&ticks=72-73

*I will soon create a bookmarklet to display the score right in game.

The API is just part of my other project, which is pretty complex actually. It is a powerfull tool, and uses a 3-milion-items large NP database. If you have any programming skills or knowledge of plotting data to graphs, contact me :wink:

#Cycle 4, Tick 121*
[size=9]*1 cycle = 28 ticks. Game ends at cycle 30, tick 840.[/size]

[size=12]There will be approximately total of 2800 points.[/size]

WOW - most organized game I’ve ever seen - thanks for taking the time Qwerty to provide the updates and tools, not just for the folks playing, but also for those interested in how it plays out.

P.S. wfmcgillicuddy/BrianB was on my team in the first team game - not surprised to see him kicking butt in this game.

But given the big lead by the Sherpa’s, I can’t help but wonder if the other teams will start to collude (I didn’t see any rules again that?) to even things out a bit?

Yeah, the bad thing is that people don’t realize that it isn’t the points which is a threat, but the number of stars, science, ships and industry. I am gonna make a table view for that, so it is visible who actually is a threat.

#Cycle 5, Tick 146*

[size=12]There will be approximately total of 2800 points.[/size]

#Cycle 6, Tick 193*

##OTHERs made it up the hill!

[size=11]There will be approximately total of 2800 points.[/size]

I had three of the four stars for a short time. :smiley:

1 Like

That’s why you only have 1 now, Matt. :smiley:

Yea, I certainly agree that points alone don’t determine who truly is the top team as other parameters (such as stars, science, ships, and industry) can clearly show who is actually going to come out on top. I’d suggest the skill/tenaciousness of the players plus any formal (or informal) alliances play a huge factor too … and not easily seen in a table of numbers.

You may recall that in the team game, I said early my team was NOT going to win … even though we had a substantial lead in total stars and other misc. It was clear to me (based on the above factors) that the Enders were going to win … which is exactly what happened.

What is REALLY interesting/different about your “King of the Hill” game is the winner is determined by cumulative count, not last standing. So what very well might happen is a team that is strongest at the end of the game (Tick 840) may not have the most number of points.

I.e. unlike a normal game where if you aggressively grab some stars, but eventually lose it, you have “nothing” … whereas in this game, if it is a “middle star”, you get points that you never lose. Plus at the end, you might as well throw everything you got at the middle.

Again, very cool concept Qwerty and curious how the strategy is evolving in the game.

#Let’s talk

Movable hills. If every X ticks, the scoring hills change (on a predetermined timetable) the game would be more fluid.

If the hills moved you would need a mechanism to advice us which was the current ones.

As a tactic I would camp out and hold as many if the possible stars as I could, waiting for their turn.

My 2c is that teams should be able to trade and that you should be able to take out the home worlds.

But the rules should not change in this game, we have embarked on a strategy based on current rules.

My original suggestion had one key element missing from this game- i.e. that ships may not leave the hill, and that every time a point is scored, all ships and infrastructure on the hill are destroyed. I would imagine that without this, players would just dump thousands of ships on the hill without thinking, securing themselves points forever- or at least making any attack pointless, as the attacking player is unlikely to even hold the hill afterwards.

1 Like

I think its interesting that if you have thousands of ships sitting on the hill, the other teams have thousands of ships, not on the hill.

And if they are not on the hill what are they doing? Thats right, they are smashing up your empire.

The interesting question is then, can a team afford to fight, then rebuild and take the hill?

1 Like