KING OF THE HILL - don't believe?

I had three of the four stars for a short time. :smiley:

1 Like

Thatā€™s why you only have 1 now, Matt. :smiley:

Yea, I certainly agree that points alone donā€™t determine who truly is the top team as other parameters (such as stars, science, ships, and industry) can clearly show who is actually going to come out on top. Iā€™d suggest the skill/tenaciousness of the players plus any formal (or informal) alliances play a huge factor too ā€¦ and not easily seen in a table of numbers.

You may recall that in the team game, I said early my team was NOT going to win ā€¦ even though we had a substantial lead in total stars and other misc. It was clear to me (based on the above factors) that the Enders were going to win ā€¦ which is exactly what happened.

What is REALLY interesting/different about your ā€œKing of the Hillā€ game is the winner is determined by cumulative count, not last standing. So what very well might happen is a team that is strongest at the end of the game (Tick 840) may not have the most number of points.

I.e. unlike a normal game where if you aggressively grab some stars, but eventually lose it, you have ā€œnothingā€ ā€¦ whereas in this game, if it is a ā€œmiddle starā€, you get points that you never lose. Plus at the end, you might as well throw everything you got at the middle.

Again, very cool concept Qwerty and curious how the strategy is evolving in the game.

#Letā€™s talk

Movable hills. If every X ticks, the scoring hills change (on a predetermined timetable) the game would be more fluid.

If the hills moved you would need a mechanism to advice us which was the current ones.

As a tactic I would camp out and hold as many if the possible stars as I could, waiting for their turn.

My 2c is that teams should be able to trade and that you should be able to take out the home worlds.

But the rules should not change in this game, we have embarked on a strategy based on current rules.

My original suggestion had one key element missing from this game- i.e. that ships may not leave the hill, and that every time a point is scored, all ships and infrastructure on the hill are destroyed. I would imagine that without this, players would just dump thousands of ships on the hill without thinking, securing themselves points forever- or at least making any attack pointless, as the attacking player is unlikely to even hold the hill afterwards.

1 Like

I think its interesting that if you have thousands of ships sitting on the hill, the other teams have thousands of ships, not on the hill.

And if they are not on the hill what are they doing? Thats right, they are smashing up your empire.

The interesting question is then, can a team afford to fight, then rebuild and take the hill?

1 Like

Sure, but what the result is there has been a lot of defensive posturing with no one wanting to make a move.

Thatā€™s kinda what I expected!

score points once/twice a day / once every two days and reduce hill stars to less than 1/2 number of teams to enforce fights over those stars?

I dont know what side of the galaxy you are playing on, but our side of the galaxy has plenty of moves.

I gotta say as this game unfolds Iā€™m appreciating it more and more. Its got a really interesting set of elements that set it apart. The only thing Iā€™m not for is the no-trade rule.

The indestructible home-star is a weird wrinkle that Iā€™m sure some are hating but I think it adds a really interesting tactical element to the proceedings.

Iā€™d be really interested in playing another one when this one is done.

1 Like

How many points are left now, I reckon you guys must be cutting it fine to try and catch up to the OTHERS.

id team points
3 OTHERs 609
1 Trekkies 474
4 SEVER 325
2 Sherpas 227
5 TEAM 5 50

This game mode needs overtime rule so that if some teams are within a small number of points, the game keeps going until there is say 25% difference.

That way teams will be incentivised to at least get near the leader.

25% could take a long time to achieve! how about 10% or a few hundred points.

Current score
id team points
3 OTHERs 721
1 Trekkies 524
4 SEVER 438
2 Sherpas 344
5 TEAM 5 50

On tick 587 of 840, giving 1012 points still to be won.
Current hill star holdings are Sever = 2, Other = 1, Sherpas = 1.

@Qwerty have you been keeping a running tally of these scores so we can plot a graph over time, or are you just updating the latest score?

Cool to get an update.

Yea, if I were playing, I like the idea of an ā€œovertimeā€ ā€¦ but agree it needs to be a smaller value so it doesnā€™t take forever.

I canā€™t see the game, but sounds like 4 teams are still in the running - glad itā€™s not a runaway.

I am storing every information every tick.

Technology levels, E/I/S totals, ship totals, star ownershipā€¦

ticks ->300 : http://nptriton.cqproject.net/ticks/-300/4610412414763008/stars
ticks 300-> : http://nptriton.cqproject.net/ticks/300-/4610412414763008/stars

the hill star ids are 16,17,112,117.

See how exactly the API works here. See the ā€œusageā€ part at the bottom.

#edit

Here you go :slight_smile: