May/2018 1v1 EPIC Tournament - AnnanFay is the winner!

SuperDaves taken the lead and work has me too busy to promise timely submissions.
He’ll be moving to round 3

I’ve updated post #1 to show @SuperDave as the winner of his match and advancing to the semi-finals.

@AnnanFay requested a game pause for the weekend - thought we would resume on Monday, but guessing that RL has been busy as I haven’t heard anything yet.

@HULK Sorry about the wait. I’m working on the turn right now.

@Grunter and I just exchanging blows. Nothing notable has transpired just yet but, I get the sinking feeling he’s trying to lull me to sleep and then POUNCE ON MUH FACE like the Jackalope I know he is deep on the inside…

Jackalope? Ain’t nobody here by that name. :wink:

1 Like

@AnnanFay and I are having daily duke-outs … very interesting & close game as I got totally hosed by the Experimentation Gods (see below) but made some incredibly lucky guesses so currently have a slight advantage in stars & ships … but wayyyyy behind in Economy and Industry.

Here’s an image (click to see big) of the first 4 Exp hits I got - crossposted from this thread.
In a nutshell, I spent a bunch of effort finishing (expensive) Exp2 just before Cycle3 ended … and got a Weapons hit (no help) for Cycle3 … and then got ANOTHER weapons hit for Cyle4. Glad to say I didn’t hit the trifecta and finally (!) got something else for Cycle5.

Per that thread, Jay has fixed things so this won’t happen again. Which I think is the “right” thing especially for 1v1 games since you can’t trade for tech, and have to develop all your own. @nick.muzzio was right! :wink:

1 Like

HAHAHA! It’s still not as bad in the 3vs3 game we played and all 3 my accounts hit weapons!

Yea @nick.muzzio , that was a pretty brutal trifecta.
But wasn’t that later in the game where Exp wasn’t as important?
I kinda “wanted” to get a third Weapons hit just to even more make your day! :wink:

FYI to all that per the “Exp Locked” thread, Jay has rolled BACK the change so we can finish the current games. I’ll ask him to re-roll it back into production before we start the semi-finals. Speaking of which, it looks like @Grunter is pulling ahead in his game.

@AnnanFay and I are having quite the wild battle. This is completely different that the “Trench Warfare” game that @SuperDave and @Karmadrome had as there are ships attacking all over the place … and both sides have made inroads into the other’s territory. Again, my lead is stars/ships is balanced out by his big lead in Econ/Indy … and he just launched a 81-ship strike out of the blue.

Yeah, I am toast.

@Grunter submitted a couple of turns that broke my back, now with the momentum at his back - this game will be over shortly. He’s warped in DA TROOPS to steal ma HOUSEBOAT MACHINE…GL HF everyone that’s left! HOLLA AT ME NEXT TIME :wink:

We should 2v2 Tourney soon <3

It was a difficult victory but I managed to pull it out. Great game Houseboat!

Thanks for the update @HOUSEBOAT_THANGS and @Grunter
I have updated the first post to show the results.

I want to HOLD on the semi-final matches until @AnnanFay and I are done (just started Cycle 7 - close game that could go either way) since I think we all agree (especially @nick.muzzio ! :wink: that we want Jay to roll the code changes so Experimentation doesn’t hit locked tech.

BTW, any suggestions on the overall game design and parameters?
I did make a note to try to insure the layout is more spread out so that you don’t end up with trench warfare.

Be fun to do another tournament.

1 Like

EXP hits on weaps allow me to have something to pray for when I’m in deep crap. Are you sure we want to get rid of them? Then I’d have to win on my own merit and that’s a daunting thought.

We could completely disable experimentation. As of the latest update we can now disable Experimentation and Banking without the game crashing.

1 Like

I like the idea of players using different approaches to try to win as most games just turn into a Weapons-fest … so that’s why those are locked. But if we also disable Exp, then there only are 5 techs to “play” with.

I did make Exp expensive to research … so it’s a risk/reward move early on in the game … which as we saw on my current game, hammered me with two worthless hits early on.

I do think a little bit of randomness is a “good” thing - just don’t want it to be a game changer.

But we can certainly consider it for the next round of games, so let me know what you guys think work best and any other possible changes.

I prefer to leave exp in since chance (in moderate amounts) is an important element to any game, otherwise it becomes prescriptive over time. I do think that preventing exp hits on weapons is a good change.

I think we leave the parameters the same as before. I see no reason in disabling Exp. It’s worth researching now that you know that the bonuses from it aren’t going to be wasted.

I think keep the science where it is @HULK and just change exp to not hit locked techs. I am really enjoying the format as it is and it’s obviously working for me, so lets keep going! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback guys and glad its worked out well. In case @SuperDave and @Grunter wanted to start early, we can’t do that (with Exp not hitting locked techs) since we have to wait until my game with @AnnanFay completes … and then we’ll ask Jay to switch the code.

Speaking of which, that is a raging battle that could take a while.

After a requested game pause, we finished Cycle 5 on June 7th and are just about to finish Cycle 8. I’m usually able to submit fairly quickly (RL isn’t too busy right now) but most turns have been the full 24 hours … I get the Email just after that, so @AnnanFay is logging in to check the results, but am guessing his RL is busy as he often doesn’t submit. Just make sure you don’t AFK because that would be a bummer to accidentally end the game that way! :wink:

@AnnanFay has made some smart moves and reduced my lead in ships, plus jumped out in Industry.
It continues to be a wild game with attacks all over the place - truly an epic 1v1! :wink:

I’m quite surprised I’m still contesting the game with a 15 star difference. HULK 65 vs my 50. The early economy has helped a lot - but also part of the reason for the 15 star difference.

Yeah, you guys are not only toe to toe in ships but also toe to toe on the battlefield. Looks like a great match!