Organizing a Team game

I’d be more in favour of turn based. What about 6T/8H to speed things along?

I’ve been discussing that with others. We might even ask Jay for another option, such as 10H turns, just to keep the Turn deadline rotating timezones. I was even thinking of asking for a 3/4 speed setting for real time.

I would love to play in a team game. I go by sekoms or tardigrade. No team but I’d play with ^kelad^

I’m in. My user name is Jonboy, and team members itsmarty and DiscoJew are interested.

I appreciate you guys testing out the team games so we have an idea of what works when I implement some actual rules for them.

You are welcome to join us Jay!

Oh, and I have a wish list of settings in this thread:

yeah, all that kind of stuff is need to support team games properly.

I’m keen to do the work because even in a game of cutthroat trust and betrayal, it can be nice to have some friends you can rely on.

Jay it would be great to really rely on your own team. Instead of wondering when you will get screwed over. I hope that we can have some good reliable team play in this game, with nobody trying to break the spirit of the game.

I had mentioned adding some additional Timeout lengths before (6h and 8h), and I just checked, you added them! Yay!
I can’t wait to play a real time turn based game (6 tick turns with 6h max timeout - or 8h - I know people may miss turns in their sleep, tough).

Anyway, Brian mentions 10h max timeout for this game. That is interesting. If a couple of players decide that they like a 12h game at a specific time of day, and hold off submitting their turn to control that turn time, then a 10h max wait would prevent them from intentionally slowing the game. It would have to cycle through and people would be more encouraged to submit their turn a bit earlier.

So I am in support of that. Give it a go.

Yeah, that was my thought, even if a player or two tried to force the game to run at it’s slowest possible rate, a 10h turn submission would cycle around the world over the course of the game. Ten hours would be sufficient time to compensate for people’s work/sleep schedule.

Six or eight hours would be great at keeping a game moving. People would generally just have to treat it like a real time game, or route ships for twice the time period, so their missed turn over night or while working wouldn’t set them back too much.

You’re Tardigrade too?

What’s up, buddy? Kelad reporting in.

Yea I use aliases sometimes but sekoms is the “true alias”

I’m keen for this game. 10 hours sounds like a good medium, too!

For future team games - it’d be great if each team was a different shape of the same colour.

1 Like

Good point Andy. Colour coding teams FTW.

1 Like

I’m in, will be nice to play a game with no itchy shoulder blade syndrome :slight_smile:

Hey Andy, that would probably be easier for Jay to implement than my previous suggestion of a toggle between individual and team colors.

I was thinking of waiting a few more days, then cutting off the recruitment so we can generate a custom map.

Some great suggestions here … and just to echo’s Brian’s comment (and make sure it is seen here), this is what I suggested in the other thread.

1. Some means of identifying to NP the teams … and pre-setting alliances … and disallowing any tech/money transfers outside the team. This might be easily doable via the admin options. So you can setup 5x3, 6x2, 4x4, etc … and also specify which positions on the galaxy they go. Obviously more work if a Dark Galaxy, but maybe in version

2.Win-by percentage should be team total stars, not individual.
This game is set to 33% so it will be very tempting at the end for a team to abandon stars to one player to shoot for the win … rather than galactic domination. Implementation would not only be in the “win” code, but nice if “team leaderboard” and “team stats” (showing team totals) was visible.

BTW, I’m pretty sure several of you are in the current 5x3 team game … and I might be up for round #2.

Be nice if Jay could implement some of those changes before we start though.

I’ll start compiling a list tomorrow. I have a couple full teams that want to join together, then several solo players to group up. Right now I think my rough count is 16, possibly 17. We will need multiples of three to make it work. I’m going to start playing with map design based on 18 players. and see what the new custom maps does with a 24 player game with only 18 starts. It would be great if we could get enough for 8 solid teams.

Edit: yeah, so it won’t allow a custom map without starts for everyone. This could be easily solved for our purposes if I design a map layout with a few intentional AI to start the game. Maybe teams start on arms, and the AI hold the center…

1 Like

BTW, curious why you say “multiples of three to make it work”

I wonder about a 4x4 game (maybe NOT have them placed together) … or conversely, teams of 2 (starting back-to-back) would be interesting.

Just thinking out loud.

I had thought of that Hulk, but as Jay currently has only the top three getting any rank, I figured everyone would want at least something when it came to rank. I had considered teams of 4, but pairs starting across from each other. that way everyone would be in battle right away. Instead I’m going to spend some time playing with the map design to make it interesting.

Until Jay gets around to implementing a secondary coordinate system for place holder stars, we may have to go with AIs for a few locations. I’m fine with that, it will delay direct conflict between teams while dealing with the AIs and give an interesting shape to the map.