Proteus in Open Beta

I’m jumping onto the topic of trading. I agree with some of the previous posts where not being able to trade with someone who has more stars is a pain in the ass. A suggestion that I have is being able to trade with someone who has x amount of stars more than you, pick a number, 5, 10 maybe? that way if you are working with an alliance you don’t have to worry about delaying an attack before you can trade a tech, 1 star doesn’t make much difference in the game, but if stops a trade being able to happen, 5 stars is a similar story. I can definately see where you want to stop someone who has 20 more stars than someone by giving them trading restrictions for a different game style, but I do think it needs to be a little more relaxed than it is.

1 Like

A threshold within 3-5 seems reasonable! That still serves the purpose of ensuring allies grow alongside one another.

1 Like

I prefer not being able to trade up, since I’m always winning and nobody trusts me anyways. :grin:

I have found one minor bug Jay,
when defending a star, if successful the message states “player captured the star” star’s not being captured, it’s being defended

1 Like

You are unable to give players renown in Proteus, you also can’t see a players victories, rank or renown.

1 Like

I know it’s in Beta testing, and I am no programmer so I have no idea how much work is involved, but one thing that I would like to see is a list of the techs that you can research and exactly how they work, similar to how they are done in Triton. The list should be in the research area similar to Triton.
Also, when it come in, there should be a mention on how carrier experience works, how it’s gained and what benefits it has, this could be mentioned in the same place

1 Like

I noticed this too.

Agreed. Exp gain relevant to Experimentation level would also be a nice factor making it relevant to research.

One thought with carrier experience, Carriers might have multiple abilities available, what the abilities are doesn’t matter for the sake of this post. From here there are 2 options

1 Choose which ability you want for your carriers when you are joining the game, similar to choosing tech strengths and weaknesses, as soon as your carrier gains the required experience it gains the ability. This would give players more variability and add to the strengths and weaknesses you have in techs, making each player have a slightly different race to each other.

2 when a carrier hits x experience you are able to upgrade the carrier to gain 1 ability, different abilities might need different amounts of experience before they are gained. Carriers shouldn’t be able to have more than 1 ability, but you might have different levels of the same ability available for a carrier, so it can level up a few times and better it’s ability. This would mean you could have carriers with different abilities to each other.

Continuing on with carriers

If you have multiple abilities on the carriers, they could work alongside the techs, you could even have the science strength you choose also coming with the carrier ability.

weapons - your carrier gains a combat bonus… maybe it strikes first in a fight instead of the defender striking first

range - there are a few different options that i can think of, flight speed advantage? every tick the carrier travels slightly further each tick than they normally would, or it has extended range beyond your normal range, or it travels through worm holes faster

Scanning - the number of ships on board this carrier is incorrect, or vague or hidden as far as opponents see it,

banking, the carrier generates income, maybe it could create x$ for every x ships on board

manufacturing - the carrier builds ships

experimentation - the carrier generates science and helps research your techs

Thanks for all the great feedback @Squishy, and sorry for taking so long for get in here on the forum. You can see when things get busy I’m just as bad on the forum as I am in email.

I really like your ideas about carriers. I started keeping the experience with the idea that I would implement something like this, but I have been hesitant to actually implement anything because I’m concerned might make the game too complicated, or less fun because you have to keep a track of all the various abilities of the other players carriers.

I have real trouble what’s the right amount of complexity for the game.

Hi Jay

In my opinion the way for the carrier abilities to be least complex are the carriers automatically grow their ability when they gain enough xp. If there was only one ability it’s nearly brainless, you only have to know about the ability. If there are multiple abilities, the least complicated method would be you gain the carrier ability that matches your science bonus. abilities on ships could be determined by a different colour or pattern on the ships that have the ability. I think this could be the easiest way to balance tech strengths as well, if you think a certain tech is weaker than others then make it’s carrier ability slightly buffed to compensate for it. Doing this, you would also have to implement an ability for someone who takes no strengths and weaknesses

We understand you’re busy and don’t expect an instant response

In one of my recently completed games (Xi Altair) it seemed like the wormholes were spread out in a MUCH better way than previously. Previously it seemed like they were clustering a lot in the middle of the map. In this recent game there were lots of outer-edge connections to other outer-edge connections, along with a few in the middle. It was awesome. It allowed outer empires to have another border to worry about or exploit. Nice change if that was intentional, and if this was a happy accident, I wonder if it’s possible to have more like this!

Its very random at the moment. It would be a good idea to force them to the edges somehow.

Will there be turn based Proteus?
Many of us don’t have time for real time games…

1 Like

Won’t bother to write a lengthy review as I can see above most of my comments have already been made, but will say that after 2 Proteus games I think it’s brilliant. Love the worm holes and the changes to research and production. The tech trickling downwards thing… I understand why it’s been done that way, but I’m still not totally convinced about it.

Sorry if this has been asked already, but how come victories/rank/renown don’t show up in Proteus games?

played a few more games now. okay, still hate the you must be equal in order to trade thing. it really hurts smaller players. and they have nothing in which to contribute to an alliance. they are just wealth sinks. make it must be equal in stars +/- 5 would help.

also hating what happened with warp gates. the diminishing returns suck. if we’re spending that much for a gate they should function as a gate no mater what the distance.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I ditched these because players were reading to much into them, and then players were “gaming” them to try and look more prestigious. Players can still buy themselves badges to make themselves look cooler, but then they are actually contributing to game by paying hosting costs - so they are cooler - so that’s OK by me.

Its been a few months since I played so I will jump into the next game and have another think about the warp gates. Last I remember they did get better over time.

I was just looking at short distances there is no difference between two worlds that are close together (4 or 5 light years) even if you have gates on both worlds. kind of surprised me, works okay for longer distances. its just different from what I’m used to. sorry was venting

Thanks for the response Jay.

I ditched these because players were reading to much into them, and then players were “gaming” them to try and look more prestigious.

Seems like a shame to me… feels a bit like we’re losing history. Yes, some players are going to cook the stats, and shame on them for doing so, but what about all the honest players? Why should we have to lose this feature?

Badges are more prestigious, and I’m glad they help support the game, but I don’t see why we can’t keep both.