Proteus Test Game 3

Congratulations Zoquete!

Its always good to see a player come out of a bad start to take the win.

3 Likes

Everybody should have an extra Lab Rat Badge.

Thanks everybody for testing!

I have to do a few days work on Colossus (which has turned into a goblin pirate game), but after that I will get the next Proteus Test game set up.

Probably just need one more game before I push it out on everybody.

3 Likes

Does Proteus indicate KO, QUIT and AFK players like Triton does ?

I think so, how come?

These are not visible from a spectator view.

I really like the idea of having the points split- 50% to tech you are researching, and 50% random. That would make it a little more likely that someone would try to trade with neighbors if possible, and would make some have to pay more attention to tech research. I mostly had mine set to weapon tech, but I frequently switched to another desirable tech that would not take too long to research (vs. Current weapon tech)

I must say, as someone following this relatively closely but having not participated yet, I am quite looking forward to playing this final test match!

However, I’m not so sure the “ease of play” has been maintained. From the outside, it looks like TONS more tabulating and postulating is required. I could, obviously, be wrong but it seems daunting!

Thanks for everyone’s feedback and testing around this! I look forward to NP eating up more of my time than it already does =]

I didn’t particularly feel that tbh. There was a lot of new stuff to get your head around but it played relatively easily. For me I think the payout every tick probably made things slightly easier - you were never long from a cash injection even if you happened to over- or mis-spend. There were a lot more ships and infrastructure but that didn’t really change the fundamentals afaik. Attacking 100K ships with 110K ships is much the same as attacking 100 ships with 110 ships, in principle. More or less.

There are some advanced tactical/strategic considerations to grapple with eventually I’m sure, but I think that would take time to evaluate and test (e.g. do you try to keep science facilities out of enemy scanning range? What’s the best high/low tech combinations?)

But overall the most overwhelming part for me had nothing to do with Proteus specifically. This was the most players I’ve faced in one game. :scream: It was fraught, but very exciting. There was always a war nearby.

2 Likes

I am all tingly on the inside! Thanks for assuaging my concerns =]

And also, more so than the 64 player CF that’s currently available???

Oh heavens no. :smiley: It was only 16 players, but I’ve only played 8-10s so far. Plus it was 16 of some of the best players (or longest serving at least :stuck_out_tongue: ). Including Jay (bit star struck tbh :wink: ). I’ve only been playing a few months! :astonished:

I keep looking at the 64 but too scared still. If for no other reason than the potential time commitment! One day though, one day…

1 Like

I wasn’t totally inspired until you mentioned goblin pirates. I’ll keep a closer eye on development now. :slight_smile:

Hi guys! This seems interesting… Any new games with Proteus-enabled I can join? (Hopefully turn-based)

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to drop in and apologise for taking so long to get the next (and hopefully last) playtest game for proteus ready.

Penny and I have launched into our side project Colossus full time for December and January because we hope to have it ready in the first quarter next year.

I hope to take a day or two to make some minor tweaks to the settings we had for the last game in the next week or so, then we might have to wait till the new year to actually start the game. I would not want to induce any additional stress on folks over the holiday period.

Just incase I havn’t said it loudly or clearly enough, thanks to all the testers so far, the games have been great fun, and I really can’t build this without all of your help!

Jay.

4 Likes

I’d definitely play again. :thumbsup:

Additional stress? I’d see it as stress relief… It’s much easier to try to handle 7 diplomatic relationships with hostile galactic space empires than it is to please the in-laws.

2 Likes

I’m in as well.

I’ll check back in early next week.

If you’d like my help I’ll join in. Just message me :slight_smile:

If there is going to be any turn-based test game I would like to join. Family, job and a few other things don’t mix that well with RT games. :slight_smile:

Jay if you ever do make a Nova Bomb, I think you should also make a Genesis Device.

cool idea!