Proteus Test Game 3

I can scan 2 alien *ahem* science facilities. I have level 3 scanning so I get
2 * 3 = 6 research points in a random field each tick. You can see it on the research page (the points increase) but there is no notification/event. This is working for me.

I really like the idea of espionage but to my logical brain it should only give points in any fields that your scanned enemies have higher than yours.

E.g. Arthur can scan science from Bob and Carol. Bob has higher Weapons than Arthur and Carol has higher Banking. Arthur should get a random Espionage bonus in either Weapons or Banking each tick.

If Dan then builds a science in scanning range but has no higher tech then Arthur doesn’t get any extra Espionage (we hacked their emails sir, there was nothing we didn’t already know). Dan however, would benefit from scanning Arthur’s higher science…

Should the difference in levels also factor into the bonus? I.e. The more levels above you the scanned enemy has, the more bonus points you get (in that field).

Too complicated? Too unbalanced?

1 Like

Oh, thanks, that wasn’t clear to me. So you are stealing a neighbor’s science capacity, not their superior technology, at the moment.

Essentially, I suppose that’s how to look at it, yeah.

@JayKyburz Did we revert back to cheap trading? I just noticed I sent level 4 tech for 80. Last game that would have cost 400.

edit: the formula now appears to be level * level * 5, last game it was level * level * 25

1 Like

This unfortunately favors the most powerful alliance.
The strongest empire in a weaker alliance will not gain any trades from his allies, so would have a difficult time catching up with the most powerful alliance.

How exactly does star experience work? That wasn’t enabled for the test game I played before. What are its bonuses?

Perhaps. But it might promote more instability in the strong alliance, by giving number 2 a better shot of unseating number 1.

Perhaps this favors vassal relationships ?
The strongest ally can decide to not trade down, at times, to maintain weaker vassals allies.

my thought exactly. and hopefully, it is true from time to time that the vassals are revolting :wink:

I’m going to bring in my suggestion from the other thread (we seem to have a splintered discussion).

1 Like

WOW ! . . . instability . . .

This just breed mistrust in all alliances. HA HA !

Can you even call it an alliance without mutually beneficial trade?! :scream:

I get it now. Jay is just staying true to the description in the 64 player game.

You’re all untrustworthy !! :stuck_out_tongue:
I have always known this was true !!

It seems the trade modifications have backfired. As a weaker player (by star count) with potential to catch up, in trying to get tech from stronger players. But since I have literally 0 to offer them (other than promises of tech in the future) no one will send me anything. Makes it even harder for small guys to catch up imo

1 Like

bend a knee to a bigger neighbor, offer to march under his flag for tech. Then if and when he gets too high and mighty, overthrow him with the other serfs

Aaaand… that is why I am leery of sending tech.

Yes, I deliberately reduced the trading cost again becuase I wanted it to be cheap to gift tech.

Don’t forget there is still a massive advantage to trade, so if for example two players were organised enough to stay the same size, they would have a big advantage. - I havn’t been able to convince anybody of this in the current game though.

I think scan espionage is going to be a great equalizer. I know my neighbors are laughing all the way to the bank…

1 Like

Espionage is probably the most interesting addition for me. I almost took cheap scanning to try and exploit this to its full potential.

(I can only see one of your facilities. So far… :wink: )

I think the espionage is a wonderful addition, and it is actually very viable, at least so far as I see. Helps the leaders a lot, though that might induce an aneurism in Jay. :wink:

1 Like