Proteus Test Game 3

Yeah, something is going on. I got three notifications for a single update last night, and today I got another notification when I didn’t complete anything.

There might be problems now that we are getting crazy amounts of reseach from Experimentation. I think I can seen about half the map and i’m getting over 2k and hour.

As I said earlier, I think espionage is overpowered. Either make it less than 100% of scanned capacity, or perhaps limit it to credits in superior tech (i.e. steal advanced technology instead of capacity)

What happens if a carrier is half way between two stars and two warpgates are created between those stars?

For example:

• Travel between A and B is 1d.
  • I sent a carrier 12h ago from A to B.
  • Now I create a warpgate.

Will it “scale” the speed like with the old 3x warpgates, so now the carrier is just 6h to arrive?

@JayKyburz : Other bug with tech

This case is just the opposite as in the previous bug:

1. I were weaps lvl 11 in Tick 242
  2. I reached new weaps lvl in Tick 243
  3. I reached new weaps lvl in Tick 253
  4. I’m weaps lvl 11!!!

I should be weaps lvl 13 instead!

EDIT:
It may actually be other thing. I’m now thinking the notification message has the wrong text. Instead of saying “Your scientists have made a breakthrough in the field of WEAPONS”, they should say “Experimentation” and other tech I were developing before.

Yea, sorry, not sure what is going on. I can’t look into it on monday.

agree with bb that its too powerfull. will scale back for the next game.

I was a big player and i couldn’t afford buying carriers willy nilly, and when buying a new resource in anything was $800+ a $400-600 carrier wasn’t the smartest thing to buy to save a bit of time anyways and would also put more prevalince on sitting around til you have a single huge carrier with 10k ships that just rolls through everything instead of multiple strikes that could be defended

Espionage is amazing when you can see lots of stars, which helps the core people from getting totally fucked up be the people on the edge, ish. and it also was causing me to push out and take those little crappy stars just so i could see more of the map and get more spies.

taxing like this will also just slow the game down and it is already slow enough as it is waiting for people to throw their deathball carriers at each other. If players have to worry about affording going to war till will be more likely to just sit there and not go to war causing a map to just sit idle

1 Like

It appears that in short order all of the middle players will have been eliminated. Several suicided or went AI. As usual.

I had hoped that the introduction of wormholes would lead to more optionality. But I think too many terminated in the center of the map, which only increases the threats faced by those players.

I understand that some randomness in the wormhole paths is fun. But if it were up to me, I would fix the paths, by connecting north edges to south edges and east edges to west edges. That might end up being more fun for middle players, by putting them on an equal footing. Which would lead to more alliance optionality and less AFK. Which might be more fun than random wormholes.

1 Like

What is the planned function for the “Special” field for carriers?

1 Like

You’re right, the wormholes in this map mostly joins the center with the edges. So the center position is even worse than before!!!

In addition, it seems center guys didn’t make advantage of espionage as much as they could. One of their main “assets” was their stars: they could exchange stars with others, keeping some neutrality with the mutual benefit of research points. I started in a corner but have 4 neighbours (3 wormhole, 1 adjacent in map) and what I did to survive was just that.

It seems also they didn’t collaborate a lot with others (maybe I’m wrong, but when looked at the Intel, each one of them looked like a lonely player).

Well when the match started Jay did say "I want to break, the culture in NP of getting together as a big trading block and steamrolling everybody. I think it could be even worse in Proteus. NP is supposed to be a game where there can be only one winner, everybody is out for themselves, but if there are mutually beneficial alliances to be had at various times, then so be it! " but I guess that was just a ruse so that he and Void could be a power couple the whole match.
And before I was attacked on all sides by the people i was trying to get together to stop him with one of those mutually beneficial alliances he spoke about my espionage alone was keeping me above tech of everyone on the map till i lost most of my stars, so trading came more down to give people stuff for their trust and that is hard to do in a corner filled with big names and even bigger badge bars.

Yes, but If this had not been Proteus, 4 or 5 of us would have banded together. Void and I had to ally becuase we were about the same size, but much smaller than everybody else.

I think there is intresting stuff happening right now in the game, I’m keen to see how well the southern alliance can work together, and what will happen when the the south meets the west.

Victreebel, perhaps it’s just an adjustment for Proteus, but when I reached out looking for freinds your response was “your star collection is a bit small…almost not worth it to be friends lol…”. That made you number 1 on my list. :slight_smile:

bb is number 1 on my list now.

:scream:

@Victreebel I don’t know what you’re so upset about. It not as if @JayKyburz used one of his long-rumored nova bombs on you.

I’m just glad I have lots of witnesses…

Yea i said that too you in a joking manner because you where talking about ending trading with

0 IHG
"Thats a good question, lets find out together.
I want to break, the culture in NP of getting together as a big trading block and steamrolling everybody. I think it could be even worse in Proteus. NP is supposed to be a game where there can be only one winner, everybody is out for themselves, but if there are mutually beneficial alliances to be had at various times, then so be it!"

0 IHG
"Formal alliances might be a thing of the past.
I really have no idea where new tech trading will go. People might just not trade anymore or players might try and take turns being the leader or a small group?"

You said this Jay, then you went about making your own god damn alliance, so sorry for trying to play the way you said you wanted us to play then went making your alliances anyways and killing me because i didnt join it. and my comment was right because you didnt have enough stars to trade with me till you started taking mine, so was it all a rouse from the start so that you could have the rest of us fighting alone while only you and void worked as a team? Its kind of a mix message when you say you want to end alliances then go about building your own.

Sorry Victreebel, didn’t mean to lead mislead you like that.

I meant to say I have some concerns about the big trading groups, where everybody researches a tech and distributes it to the rest of the group, and then basically the best trading group to just race for victory with no intention of fighting each other.

Void and I were both on the bottom of the ladder and next to each other so we formed an alliances and swapped a few stars so we could share tech. Worked for a while.

I didn’t mean that people should not ally at all.

Can the next test game be complete anonymity because i dont know about others but it swayed who i talked too based on the game before and even the amount of badges or the select badges you have can give away who you are. and that might also have played into the alliances we see on the board today instead of causality of the game mechanics we seem to be trying to implement, Such as the wormholes

And then the Evil Northern Alliance caused an alliance arms race to try and defeat them… We were mostly fighting amongst ourselves in the south before the ENR started rolling towards us. This potentially created a bigger monster than we started with. :scream:

2 Likes

You should imagine this whenever reading any of my diplomacy for the rest of the game.

3 Likes

Aww, look, a baby Void on the left. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

When targeting the Void… ahem Wormhole from itself, the first eta is correct, after that it takes 13h to travel nowhere each subsequent time… I’m assuming this isn’t intentional, but who knows how this crazy science stuff works.

I believe in fact it only takes one tick, so it’s just a display error.

1 Like