Proteus Test Game

I should have 1,000,000 ships by tomorrow!

A lot of them parked uselessly on far flung rocks.

I’m afraid that even a million won’t top my record :wink:

EDIT: And this is with regular Triton mechanics

Maybe I should have read through this thread before joining the test game :blush:

But seriously, these changes look fun!

But much more efficient, only 500 industry…

I only have email evidence, but your record is 5 million under mine!

Edit: And with 108 less stars too :wink:

I am pretty sure the trading tech system in the big test game is broken. it is asking me for $100+ per tech level before i am allowed use the send tech button then it gives me a different charge price when i go to confirm the send the tech and in the history it says that i only payed $64 which really sucks considering i waited over 10 hours to save $400 to make the trade when it didnt cost that much at all and it wants $625 before i can try to send a level 5 tech

Apologies. The server was not charging as much as the cleint advertised.

The client and server should now agree.

Tech trading sure seems like expensive right now, but on the other hand I’m making 2k a day so… I honestly dont know whether ist better to trade right now or just invest that cash into your economy.

@JayKyburz, How much should cost the tech trading for an X lvl tech?

What “Is squared”? It means: cost = $25 * (X^2)? After the trade bug I don’t know if I know!!

Yes, that’s what the formula appears to be

yes sorry, I will write it in the interface.

So are renown and other stats not a thing anymore? I really liked having them around

The stats might actually be hidden because the game might be set on anonymous settings hard to tell, also I would be interested in trying a game where if you lose the home star you are immediately defeated, Is there any chance for this to happen if Jay believes it to be good for his game and if everyone else would consider??

Or would there be some problems with this?

The idea would be that it makes more use of the faster ship production because this is a natural defence and there is not really need for that much defence at the moment it makes attacking harder and less worth it. The home star would give more reasons to be aggressive especially when carrier experience and star experience come into play which would make people prefer defensive play, So if the home star was a one shot snipe you encourage defensive play and offensive play just as equally.

It will add new strategies and more risks involved, would you really want to leave your borders undefended even against your allys?? (that might be a problem or it might be part of the fun.)

It would speed up the end game which is the most boring part of the game because thats when someone already has won the game but all they need to do is prove they won by finishing everyone off. Which is when everyone quits and turns to ai.

It would also give weaker players a chance to still win the game.

With the settings in the test game, you could come close to that by creating a stacked hw with say 20 20 5 that would be irreplaceable and represent a huge chunk of production and sci maybe through game end. I have played games like that, lots of fun.

I often make custom games where the homeward starts at 30-30-2, and if you lose it then you’re basically out unless you retake it immediately. Usually pretty fun.

It can’t be anonymous because we can see all the badges and it’s easy to tell people apart by them.

I am LOVING Proteus so far. Here are some random unsolicited thoughts:

The snowball effect from constant production feels like a great change, and it’s HUGE. It will be an adjustment from normal NP2 getting used to everything happening on a different scale- more ships, more production, more opportunities to reinvest in infrastructure. The best tactic seems to clearly be to focus on manu/exp/banking during the first few cycles to get a good snowball effect going, with the other techs being ignored for now. Then after you have a critical mass of infrastructure, it will be VERY quick to get the other three techs up to speed. You can also get the other three updated “on the move” during an attack. I’m not sure if this is problematic yet or not, should there be a such an effective early tactic?

It feels like an obvious choice as an Inferior tech would be Range. By the time you need to hit level 5/6/7, which is generally sufficient, your incredible experimentation bonus will get you to those levels incredibly quick. Therefore, maybe Range needs a bonus of some sort like the Cloaking effect from Scanning.

Cloaking effect from Scanning: Not sure what will happen with it yet, I haven’t experienced it. However it seems like it will create a constant need to invest in it, making this something you’ll always want to stay on top of throughout the game. Bravo! I hope Range gets something like this to make it something you’ll want to keep updated.

I am very much looking forward to whatever is coming in Proteus. Awesome work, I can’t wait!

I second all these comments.

Wrt range, since gates are now very expensive, there is some incentive to keep researching range in order to connect high resource stars. Perhaps advancing range levels can reduce gate expense by some percentage every level?

That was exactly my thought! Range making Warpgates cheaper (like Terraforming but for Warpgates!) would be a great way to make the tech remain competitive, yet also not meaning that the old NP1 speed tech would return.

Is Carrier experience doing anything right now?

I also noticed that all the Carriers have a “special: none” area on their page. What sort of awesome stuff is going in there?

The problem with making things cheaper is that it doesnt really scale.

What about if warp gates were not 3x faster, they were constant speed 6h, no matter how far apart they were. Then if you can connect two warpgates with long range you get a speed increase.

For carriers, in addition to Experience (which is not working yet), I was planning to have some special one off buffs for them of some kind.

Oh,that’s good. Works for me!

yeah, that would make me invest in Range tech. I just looked at the game and the increase from existing gates would start to kick in at tech Range 6 or so.

Would enemy gates give you the same bonus? If so that means I’m destroying ALL my gates within enemy hyperspace range each night…