Proteus Test Game

What I really want is a way to stop people teaming me when they know each other in real life or using multi accounts and there victims have no clue… you could bypass the IP warning by using a proxy with a different web browser.

One time I am sure I had to defeat 2 people who new each other in real life and one of them was using 2 accounts which means there was 3 accounts that I had to beat by myself…

Maybe Jay could invent a new menu or UX for this. Clicking on a star belonging to another empire would draw scan range circles around your own stars ?

This feature was available in NP1. I do not know why Jay removed it for NP2.

Yeah, I think we decided that the cloaking / jamming thing was no fun. Adding a more complex model is not going to improve it

I’m really keep to try the crazy idea of only trading down to smaller players so Ive implemented that for our next game.

Ive had several false starts at the wormholes. Things I have implemented were confusing, difficult, not very good.

This week I will try and implement a different approach where a wormhole is juts a special feature of a star. You select a carrier and press a button. The carrier will be removed from the map for 24 hours, then it will appear again at the distant star. The distant star owner will receive a warning that enemies are coming. Perhaps how many ships as well. I was thinking you should pay $1 for every ship in the carrier as well.

3 Likes

Would you be able to loop carriers through wormholes? and would you be able to wormhole to an unclaimed star? so sending one ship to a star which in unclaimed because you need like 10 hyperspace… would cost 1$

Feel free to implement your current version of wormholes in the current game if helpful to you. It would be great fun for Hips and I to fling megafleets at each other.

I’ve been following most of this thread, but haven’t actually participated in the games so far.

Just from what I’ve read, I do have to say that I am nervous about the new version because it sounds like it will be much more dependent on time spent analyzing and figuring and planning- all of which I don’t usually have much time or ability to do. :confused:

Is it the plan to eventually replace the current np2 version? Or to run alongside it?

I think its as much about planning as NP2 but no more, is just that everything happens faster, credits are earned faster and ships produce faster, and research is faster. The longest time it took me to get any tech was 12 hours and thats even when you just focus on one tech, because your science gets faster at almost the same rate your tech level grows, so a level 6 tech can take just as long as a level 5 tech because you will have the money to improve science all the time.

If it runs along side I think it will eventually replace the game.

Triton and Proteus will run side by side, but it may be the case that all the hosted games are Proteus flavoured, and you will have to create your own games if you want to go back to Triton.

No, it wont be part of the standard pathing system. This is one of the problems I had with the first few attempts.

Yes. [quote=“AlienGamer, post:327, topic:5654”]
so sending one ship to a star which in unclaimed because you need like 10 hyperspace… would cost 1$
[/quote]

Thats the plan so far yes. I think it will be in a carrier so, you will need to pay the cost of the carrier as well.

Cool, I wonder how much fun this would make the early game, you could send ships just out of reach of scouting in early game to get there before the opponent or send ships straight at there home star… would be interesting ;d

Should have the players in the test game have gotten a lab rat badge or do you also have to place high in a testing game? :innocent:

I think he gave it to everyone in the first game

Did I forget to do it for the last game? I thought I did it right at the start of the game.

Cool, we did not get any badge though =

I personally did not receive one at the start of the last game but i have it now thank you!

I didn’t end up with one either. I was in the second game

Sorry folks,

I wen’t back and made sure everybody got one!

Thanks!

Give me some feedback on this idea.

Every hour you get 1 reseach point in your chosen tech for each science facility. (done)
You also get 1 reseach point in a random tech for each enemy science facility in scanning range. (new - add randomness - makes scanning better - make choosing where to build science a little more intresting)

Also. I think both science and economy at stars will be destroyed when they change hands. just to slow the growth the players a little more.

1 Like

Interesting idea…

It might not change the way people build infrastructure as much as you think, it really depends on where the resources are among all of your stars, because science is extremely expensive. People might actually still make do with building science on there front line as the opponent is eventually going to get a high scanning level and see all of your science regardless of where you build it (eventually)…

At the start of the game you might make do with not building as much science as normally if its to expensive everywhere else to not give the opponent free research, you might actually get a stand-off in science infrastructure where no one wants to upgrade which would be interesting… But you cant really say what is going to happen unless we test it because it adds a lot of depth to the game, when high scanning levels are around its really not going to matter where you build it probably.

Maybe if the opponent was to spam in science infrastructure you might have to do the same anyway?? because even though he is going to give you free techs because you will scan a lot of science you would still be behind in science I dont know exactly what would happen.

Definitely researching scanning would be highly competitive with researching experimenting, I would really be convinced that cheaper scanning would be really worth it in games with lots of players, if you are surrounded by more players, the chances are you can see more science.

Having science destroyed would also make people think more about where to build there science, you probably intended it to be like that in the first place? but at the moment its just so expensive its worth the risks if you just need to keep up, if the opponent takes risks on building there infrastructure in order to build more cheaply, then you kind of have to do the same in order to keep up. But if your science is easily destroyed then you might actually be able to use raiding tactics more or set them up instead of trying to keep up in the infrastructure…

Raiding is where you attack a star without the intention of keeping it, just to harass your opponent and weaken there economy, you will take the star the quickly retreat away from it because you might not have enough ships left to defend it, I was trying to do it in that accidental 1v1 proteus game that was made, because economy is so expensive it became more worth it to attack even when you cant keep the star.

Raids will most likely happen when you can get ships to your front line faster than the opponent even if you have less ships being produced, so I would guess building science on your front line would be very dangerous if you have the least amount of carriers.

Also, thank you for the badge :slight_smile: how do we get the wizard badge?? do we actually have to supply the code or can it be just with an idea?

yes, I was just thinking that if you had 3 stars and the science was all the same price (as happens now quite often), a good player would choose to build it where an ally can see it, but not an enemy. I think thats at least a tiny bit more interesting than just not on the front line.

The problem is, I’ve never paid attention to how many enemy science facilities are in my scanners. My guess is not many at the start, then a lot at the end.

Yes, Wizzard badges are reserved for people who go way above and beyond. I think I’ve only ever given out 2 or 3 for work on the ruler and AI. I want to keep them special.

Does @xjhdexter have one? he did a lot of work of the map designs.