Tournaments

I wanted to have a go at tournament, but didn’t think it was fair to actually complete for a place. I scored a 46%.

What’s the “Your Tournament Scores” box supposed to show? I was expecting it to be my best performance in all Tournaments I’ve participated in, but instead it’s showing me the current high scorer in the current one (not me (yet)).

Update: I’ve completed another game. “Your Tournament Scores” now shows my second score, as well as Zzz911’s score (which was the top score at the time that I completed the first game). Looks like every time you complete a game, it’s inserting the top score from that Tournament (whether it’s yours or not) into this list.

Thnaks. Must be a bug there.

I now see Zzz911 has the 2nd-5th place in the tournament. How will you handle multiple submissions from the same user?

i’m going to write some code sometime soon so that you can only have one high score for any mission.

You plan on making whole new maps for tournaments? They seem like the perfect opportunity to quickly slap together a one-off map and see how the public handles it.

1 Like

First of all, @MikeLemmer’s thought of using Tournaments as testing grounds for new/crazy maps seems awesome. What better way to ensure that a bunch of people play one specific map several times in a short timeframe?

Second: does Tournament history go anywhere visible? I wasn’t able to get online at all today to take back my #1 spot (Curse you @Aran!), so when I got the email saying it had ended I was hoping to at least see a listing of at least the top eight, maybe the whole scoreboard. I think going back to look at past Tournaments would be a lot of fun, and certainly in the short term it would be good to be able to see who it was who displaced you at the last minute (cough happened to a friend of mine cough).

1 Like

I came second and got an email. Would be nice to have a list showing the top 8 and maybe a history board.

It would also be neat to be able to see the final map and maybe even the deck of the winner.

Yes, final map and deck would be very interesting, as I consider myself a decent player but haven’t even been able to break 40% on this tournament map on multiple retries. Obviously there are some strategies in play that I’m completely unaware of.

I think the ability to trade valor for mana and gold is a problem. I think another use for valor needs to be found.
I was thinking this about the blind justice and high elf fixes (which I’m thinking about making a separate post for, because I think the recent change has unexpected and unfun consequences), because it allows them to “feed themselves” essentially off of their valor.

But even moreso, I was thinking this with this new tournament map. Having gem miners or gold miners on this map is useless. You get more than enough gold and mana purely through valor. By the fact that the mandatory deck contains 6 of each miner type, I’m fairly certain this wasn’t the intended behavior, as actually playing these cards is detrimental. Their benefit of producing gold and mana is useless, and they provide less strength than other more valuable cards.

The starter deck makes a lot more sense on Normal on that map, where you can play with simpler strategies. In general, I think the ability to trade Valour for Gold/Mana is a sort of “advanced” strategy that feels very strong on easier difficulties, but is actually flat-out the only possible way to survive some situations in Nightmare.

Which I think is just about right: doing anything in a highly-optimized way should be overkill for easier scenarios, but the hardest situations should absolutely require that players use every trick available to eke out advantages.

In the recent tournament (Round 21), it seems that it was supposed to be a survival based one, but instead of attempting to see how long you can survive, the player scores are determined by the number of units left, whether they lose or win. I’m not sure if this is a bug, but it seems like it should be based off the maximum amount of time survived instead of units left at the end of the match, not how many people can u have live while still losing.

Does it really give you a % score if you lose but still have an army? I can’t reproduce this; I got a “n days” score when I abandoned my towns, but then it wouldn’t have been my highest score anyway.

In a truly unwinnable scenario, the ranking is done as you say, by the maximum length of time you survived. But this week’s tournament map is indeed winnable, and the scores (at least the ones I’ve gotten) have all been the number of survivors in a victory, not a loss.

I did not win on my attempt, but i had troops still alive at the end and it gave me a percent left instead of time survived as my high score. I also am not trying to say its unwinnable, but I think its weird that the score is purely based on how many troops survive at the end and not whether or not you win the scenario.

Wow! There is no way that’s the intended behavior; I bet something in the Tournament scoring code is checking whether the living population is nonzero instead of whether the game is in a loss state. I still can’t reproduce it, because I haven’t been able to beat my previous score, but I’ll definitely link this in the bug report thread to make sure the devs see it.

I think the correct behaviour should be that if you lose your last settlement your surviving soldiers dont count towards anything and you get a 0.

Thanks for the heads up Gears!

You can now see the results of past Tournaments. There are arrows at the top of the Tournament screen to scroll through previous Tournaments.

1 Like

What happens when there’s a tie? There’s one now for third place. Would both players get the reward?

The scores are sorted by the number of living souls, then the speed at which you killed the zombies.

We dont show speed in the leaderboard, but they should be sorted correctly.