1v1 Legendary Level League [LLL 01/2021]

Happy new year everyone!

I’m starting up the Legendary Level League to offer an additional opportunity besides the traditional 1v1 tournament series to participate in exciting 1v1 games.

For the uninitiated: 1v1s are a fun challenge for new NP2 players and veterans alike. You will face off on an EPIC mirrored map with no experimentation so you have the exact same starting position as your opponent. No diplomacy - instead it’s 100% strategy and game theory. It’s turn-based with only two players, so games can move along quickly - but if you need some more time sometimes, there’s also a very generous turn deadline (48 hours).

So what’s the gist of the new format? You only ever have to sign up for one game at a time - and that game is likely going to be with a similarly experienced opponent. This makes it a perfect place to build your 1v1 skills in tight matches. The main goal is having fun games, but if you’re looking for a competitive one it will be rising to the Legendary Level over time and defeating the defending Legendary 1v1 Player to claim that title for yourself!

Reply until Thursday (Jan 7) 11PM CET (GMT+2) if you want to join. Signing up earlier is recommended - because if there is an uneven number of sign-ups, the last one will literally be the odd one out for this round :wink:

Players that signed up in another thread (please re-confirm your participation in this thread):
@panblanco - @Lord_Davo - @DarkDragonwing - @Karmadrome - @SimonMiaou - @Macomber - @ignaloidas - @gaz123

Although the game is turn-based with a 48h deadline, please make sure you can start your game soon after it’s set up and generally have enough time to keep the game moving along at a steady pace, i.e. at least two submits a day, preferably more (as it’s 1v1, the game will move forward in absence of your opponent after you submit and you can submit your next turn already). No worries if you don’t have time for NP2 some days though.

Here’s the fine-print on how it will work:

1. Players sign up and get placed on a level according to their latest ranking (link) - new 1v1 players get the starting rating of 814 and likely play each other first.
  2. They get paired up through the (active) ladder, 1 vs 2 (legendary level), 3 vs 4 etc., so will play others on a likely comparable skill level.
  3. Winner of the top level match is the “Legendary 1v1 Player” until next round.
  4. Ladder gets re-arranged according to results (winners go up slightly (except #1), losers go down slightly (except last)). Players sign up for the next round -
    … if previous ones choose not to, no problem: they won’t be considered in pairings, but lose at least one position on the ladder (to encourage staying active even high up or as leader) - a second skip would cause the removal from the ladder for the time-being (for come-back players the new-joiner rule will apply).
    … if new ones join, they will be placed on the ladder according to their relative ranking with a slight malus (to encourage joining early)

After that, back to step 2 and repeat indefinitely. I’m thinking of one round happening every two months, giving ample time for games to fully play out without a hurry. If a match hasn’t finished when the next LLL round is about to start, the players will be warned and after another week a tiebreaker will be applied (stars, else ships) in case it’s still not finished. Shooting for the full victory is advised as a tie will potentially impact your rating adversely.

If everything works out, it will be an endless casual tournament with players never having to sign up for more than one match, but lots of interesting matches on all skill levels, with the top being particularly competitive and the lower end being a good place to gain experience and raise the level / staying engaged due to not facing impossible opponents, but similar ones instead.

The settings are the same as the main tournament’s ones. For detailed reasoning check @HULK’s tournament thread.

Here’s all settings deviating from the default NP2 ones:

• Stars For Victory: 66%
  • Turn Based: On
  • Tick to Jump Each Turn: 6 Tick Jumps
  • Turn Deadline: 48 Hours
  • Dark Galaxy: Disabled
  • Stars Per Player: 64 Stars, Epic
  • Home Star Distance: Far
  • Starting Stars: 1
  • Starting Credits: $2000
  • Starting Ships Per Star: 100 Ships
  • Starting Economy: 20
  • Starting Industry: 20
  • Starting Science: 4
  • Cost Science: Cheap
  • Cost Experimentation: None
  • Cost Manufacturing: Expensive
  • Cost Banking: Cheap
  • Cost Weapons: None
  • Starting Experimentation: Level0
  • Starting Weapons: Level3
1 Like

Write me in!

Yeah I’m in

Yes please!

Sign me up pls :slight_smile:

Sign me up.

Yes please!

Count me in.

Count the Jolly Green Giant in - HULK SMASH!!!

Update: I’m currently in two 1v1 tournaments, so I might delay doing this for a bit.

Count me in!

Wouldn’t be very legendary if I didn’t participate, sign me up!

I‘m in :grin:

I’m in

Grudge match v @Slicertos1 please

Phil

1 Like

He can’t blame the newbs if he is the only newb there… @Slicertos1

:rofl::rofl:

LOL fuck sake zatoc, two revenge encounters and counting!

Hey, I’m interested!

I’d like to but I’m in the same boat as HULK. Got tournament games going now, so it will depend on timing.

I’m taking a bit of a rest from NP, so I’ll skip this round.

I’m in!

Been thinking about this, and I’m not going to take the plunge - I’d rather use my NP time to play in knock-out 1v1 contests, and keep the bigger games going as well.

But keep me posted on how it goes, and whether you get a lot of repeated match-ups. Good luck everyone!

1 Like