The Legendary Level League offers an opportunity to participate in an exciting 1v1 game for players at all skill levels - from newcomers to veterans.
Reply by January 8 (Saturday) if you want to join. Signing up earlier is recommended - because if there is an uneven number of sign-ups, the last one will literally be the odd one out for this round
For the uninitiated: 1v1s are a fun challenge for all NP2 players. You will face off on an epic mirrored map with no experimentation so you have the exact same starting position as your opponent. No diplomacy - instead it’s 100% strategy and game theory. It’s turn-based with only two players, so games can move along quickly - but if you need some more time sometimes, there’s also a very generous turn deadline (48 hours).
So what’s the gist of the format? You only ever sign up for one game at a time - and that game is likely going to be with a similarly experienced opponent. This makes it a perfect place to build your 1v1 skills in tight matches. The main goal is having fun games, but if you’re looking for a competitive one it will be rising to the Legendary Level over time and defeating the defending Legendary 1v1 Player to claim that title for yourself!
Although the game is turn-based with a 48h deadline, please make sure you can start your game within one week after it’s set up and generally have enough time to keep the game moving along at a steady pace, i.e. at least two submits a day, preferably more (as it’s 1v1, the game will move forward in absence of your opponent after you submit and you can submit your next turn already). No worries if you don’t have time for NP2 some days though. If star counts stay the same for both players over a period of 96 ticks, both have the option to call for a draw in this thread.
*** Hall of Fame ***
(Legendary 1v1 Players)
fine-print on how the concept started and works
- Players sign up and get placed on a level according to their latest world ranking (link) - new 1v1 players get the starting rating of 1000 and likely play each other first.
- They get paired up through the (active) ladder, 1 vs 2 (legendary level), 3 vs 4 etc., thus will play others on a likely comparable skill level.
- Winner of the top level match is the “Legendary 1v1 Player” until next round.
- Ladder gets re-arranged according to results (winners go up slightly (except #1), losers go down slightly (except last)). Players sign up for the next round -
… if previous ones choose not to, no problem: they won’t be considered in pairings, but lose their position on the ladder (to encourage staying active even high up or as leader) - for come-back players the new-joiner rule will apply.
… if new ones join, they will be placed on the ladder according to their relative ranking with a slight malus (to encourage joining early)
After that, back to step 2 and repeat indefinitely. I’m thinking of one round happening every two months, giving ample time for games to fully play out without a hurry. If a match hasn’t finished when the next LLL round is about to start, the players will be warned and after another week a tiebreaker will be applied (stars, else ships) to determine the placement on the next-round-ladder. The game can continue on afterwards until it’s settled though.
If everything works out, it will be an endless casual tournament with players never having to sign up for more than one match, but lots of interesting matches on all skill levels, with the top being particularly competitive and the lower end being a good place to gain experience and raise the level / staying engaged due to not facing impossible opponents, but similarly experienced ones instead.
Here’s all settings deviating from the default NP2 ones:
- Stars For Victory: 66%
- Turn Based: On
- Tick to Jump Each Turn: 6 Tick Jumps
- Turn Deadline: 48 Hours
- Dark Galaxy: Disabled
- Stars Per Player: 64 Stars, Epic
- Home Star Distance: Far
- Random Gates: Rare Gates
- Starting Stars: 1
- Starting Credits: $3000
- Starting Ships Per Star: 100 Ships
- Starting Economy: 20
- Starting Industry: 20
- Starting Science: 4
- Cost Science: Cheap
- Cost Scanning: Normal
- Cost Experimentation: None
- Cost Manufacturing: Expensive
- Cost Banking: Cheap
- Cost Weapons: None
- Starting Experimentation: Level0
- Starting Weapons: Level4
Settings are subject to change based on poll results below.
Which one-time setting deviation/s (randomly generated and potentially crazy) would you like to see in this round? (Only the most voted option is picked.)
- Starting Tech: level 9 Scanning
- Research Costs: Crazy Expensive Weapons Research
- Build Warpgates: Expensive
- Research Costs: Very Expensive Terraforming Research
- Stars For Victory: 50% of all Stars
- These changes are all too crazy for me
The poll will close when sign-ups close. You can also propose ideas for permanent setting changes in the thread below.