1v1 Legendary Level League [LLL 10/2022]

GG and fast game, grats both.

Unfortunately yes! Hope you’ll be in next time again.

1 Like

I see @Akika and @FredGarvin have won their games too. Please post about it in the forums next time, otherwise I cannot keep track accurately and your win may fail to show up in the world rankings.

Sorry, will do that next time.

Great, and grats for the win!

sorry
my flag is us

I just resigned in my game with @Lex. I took a strong early lead despite leaving one of my flank stars unprotected and thus allowing Lex to claim it for free. But the game turned around when I was using one of the naturally spawned WG in my network. I saw Lex upgrade their HR, and I knew that they’d attack when the new cycle came in two turns, so I didn’t destroy my WG right away. And when the new cycle came in two turns… I completely forgot to destroy the WG. Lex took advantage of my open WG, sent a large fleet behind my lines and took over a sector of my front line. I was not able to recover from that as they then put a focus on ships, and the cost of even just removing Lex’ WG was just too much.

But lesson learnt: it is better to destroy a WG and have a safe but slow logistics line than to have a fast but risky one. Well played @Lex!

Thank you @BelSon! You made me sweat for it despite the tactical advantage I had with that warp beachhead… your Econ lead was very upsetting for a while.

Grats @Lex for defending your LLL title for the first time! Those warp moves can certainly be game-deciding.

Could you post what other tournaments are available? I have only seen and participated in the Flying Swiss.

Likely going to concede vs @panblanco in a few submits. Will notify when I have conceded.

Just like in my duel against plug, I sent too many initial ships to the flanks which weakened my centre. Sending large amounts of initial ships to the flanks doesn’t really secure many gains. Instead, it cost me vital centre stars which were costly to recover later on.

However, I managed to maintain a 100 or so ship lead throughout this, which I thought would help me be able to pull it back. However, this was not the case. panblanco’s initial lead forced me to blow two natural warp gates on the front (there was only 1 other natural warp gate, back line and would be useful but was very high cost to link up).

During this time I managed to match on income, industry (while keeping a ship lead because he was playing rather aggressive) and science, which gave me range 3 before him which I intended to use to unlock 6 extra stars. Turns out, it wasn’t worth it for science or economy as they were all rocks, and any ships they would produce would be too long to help.

With my ship lead I tried to gain an advantage in the centre, but I had to divert most of my ships to the flanks as somehow even though I had a ship lead of 100 (1000-900), he ended up being able to have consistently more ships on the front than me, most likely due to the fact that I had to blow the two warp gates but he was able to keep his, meaning he could slap up 3 gates for not too much cost or risk. One on his homeworld, one on a 46 resource star which linked to one front Natural gate, and one on a 21 resource which linked to another front natural gate. My overall ship and industry lead was therefore useless as his ships reached the front well before mine, meaning he ended up always matching or having more ships on the front than me. As building early warp gates is not my style, I instead decided to default to not pay attention to the frontline ship counts until it was too late, as I assumed due to my lead I would definitely be ahead on the front (which I was not), and therefore I continued to invest in industry and neglect any warp gate routes.

This brought me to the position to which I am in now. Pretty bleak, 12 stars behind. About to be finally passed in ships after he surpassed my industry and chose to do manu instead of terra.

In conclusion, even though I can’t pinpoint any mistakes or errors on my end with ship combat, my early game ship distribution once again set me up for a gradual loss. While my playstyle seems to be efficient and effective in a flank heavy or split centre map with notable chokepoints, turns out I have a few tricks to still learn when it comes to more-close quarters maps in the early game. Oh and I also need to revisit my warp gate theory

Part of the game is timing submissions. You can time your submissions to get a strategical advantage over your opponent. By drawing it out and submitting not long before the deadline to grow their frustration and force an error due to loss of focus, or by submitting instantly and force them to submit fast in a hope they miss something by pressuring them to submit quickly for ‘good etiquette’.

Also, people in advantageous positions tend to submit more quickly, perhaps a sense of eagerness of the coming win which keeps them involved in the game and encourages them to submit more quickly.

It’s been a good game so far. It’s not over yet!

I’m not sure where your invested your industry, but I also tried to to keep all of my early industry invests exclusively on the battlefront side of my homestar. You pay more initially so you can’t create as many ships, but they are closer to the battle lines.

@Solfyre taught me these games are often less strategy and more logistics.

1 Like

I don’t really thinking timing your submits is part of the game. You have a 48 hr window to submit to mitigate checking the game all the time. It’s for convenience. Unless you’re hoping your opponent has a heart attack or other emergency where they are unable to finish, I don’t see the point to intentionally dragging one out.

I’m really lazy so I just purchase industry at the cheapest star lol

I would like to request a draw in my game with SimonMiaou.
Current star count is
Tenerezu - 73
SimonMiaou - 61
This count has not changed in 120 ticks

Is it a stalemate though? You have a star lead, which means you have cheaper resources and will be able to scale faster than your opponent and eventually win, even if it takes a lot of time.

Because stars is what determines winner/loss, and you have more stars and your opponent has been unable to fight back, that means you would be the winner. Of course, SimonMiaou would have to concede, but a 73-61 is not a stalemate. Even if the frontline has stabilised, you have a secure star lead which would mean that you would be the winner

I view stalemates as events where neither player can win. I am requesting a draw.
Since there has been the same star count for at least 96 ticks, either player may call a draw. I am exercising the option formally via the forum per the requirement.

1 Like

Game between me and @olus2000 unexpectedly ended with @olus2000 conceding defeat (and going AFK for a turn or two before).
We started with quite different strategies and it would be very interesting to see who would win in the end. I went for all stars in my range as soon as possible with focus on economy and industry while @olus2000 went for science and pushing banking and manufacturing to catch me.
I enjoyed this one, too bad it had to end early.

Hello! Had some false returns in the past but I think I will finally start playing this game again. Put me in coach! @Trucriot

1 Like

I do not think we’re at a draw yet.
Sure you do have more stars and number of stars didn’t change for a while. But it doesn’t mean it won’t change. I could go on why, but that would reveal my gameplay :wink: