1v1 TB Tournament Ranking

Looking forward to the next round!

Winning a game in the Legendary Level League, @spymort (1,210 points) is knocking at the door to the Top10 now!

Cool - I am 30% reliable :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like it, but for those who aren’t aware, that reliability is for the rating, not the player :smiley:

1 Like

Two players achieve new career highs this week: @panblanco is causing a rumble in the Top10 as he lands just two points shy of the Top5 at 1,480 points. On the other hand, @kinghuang is getting close to breaking into the Top28 (just 22 points away at 958 points).

Closing out the LLL 08/2021 with a victory, @Macomber (1,150 points) jumps 17 spots this week!

To resolve some of the limitations with the current calculation methodology, I may change it from a tournament week to a calendar day approach sometime.

1 Like

Would it not be feasible to just have every LLL round as a rating period? Would be so much easier, since you can only play one game every round right? Or am I missing something completely that makes this impossible?

That was actually my original methodology before I even started the LLL. What you’re missing is mainly that the LLL rounds aren’t the only official 1v1 tournament games. There’s also the classic 1v1 KO tournaments (two of which are still running with yours truly struggling). Games within a 1v1 round can vary wildly in finishing times, many months sometimes. Even within the LLL it’s not great that you would have to wait for up to two months to get your updated ranking, especially if the ranking is used for seeding in the meantime.

Ah ok, fair. I based my system (in another game) based on tournament rounds, but matches don’t last 2 months lol, it takes 1-2 hours at a specific time. Also would love to see the current ratings without the downwards confidence at some point, since that is the actual skill level of someone with a small enough rating deviation.

I bet you get more data (more games played) with short games like that too, I’m envious haha.

I gave a glimpse in two posts here (highscores though):

I think the downwards confidence is especially important with newer players, and it also encourages staying active instead of resting on your laurels.

I get too much data! The rating deviation drops to below 100 in only 2 matches if I just took the results of the game directly lol. I have to resort to doing some weird stuff with the rating deviation to have some acceptable numbers. My main change is modifying the expected win ratio so that it had a floor and ceiling. The world’s best player against the world’s worst player will (arbitrarily I admit) win “only” 85% of their games, instead of 100%, the reason for that is because the game has some tinge of luck into it, so if I don’t do that, players are just simply not encouraged to play players below them in the rating pool, so they would actively try and avoid it.

I’ll change the system a little when I have a bit more data, so that the 85% isn’t as arbitrary.

What’s the level of the worst player compared to the ai ?
If we assume the ai (playing alone) is the worst player, there is a fast and easy way to find the actual win rate : asking the best players to make hundreds of 1v1 against the ai

For NP2 1v1s, I would expect any player (if it’s not their first game ever) to achieve a 100% win-rate against AIs (starting from Tick 0) even when playing hundreds of 1v1s.

Here’s one Green Monster versus 31 AI’s in a single game … :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, I remember seeing that. 1v31 is something else entirely of course - not sure if many besides green angry players could pull it off :wink:

@csessh, @Gabrio, @Argus and @Vernitrax enter the Top28 with 1,093 points, ranking 19 to 22 after winning their first game against other newcomers in the Legendary Level League 10/2021.

1 Like

I’m thinking about adding national flags and/or continental colors to the 1v1 rankings on a voluntary basis - to add some flavor in the overview and display the global NP2 community. What’s your opinion? :slight_smile:

• I am for the addition and would provide my country information.
  • I am for the addition and would only provide my continent information.
  • I am for the addition, but would provide neither country nor continent information.
  • I am strictly against showing either country or continent information for any player.
  • I am strictly against showing country information for any player, but continents are fine.
  • I don’t have an opinion on this matter.

0 voters

Thanks to all who participated in the poll already. Those who haven’t yet, cast your vote to be heard :wink:

This week 6 games concluded, more games than in any other week of 2021.

@HULK takes a win in the April QF and rises to 1,622 points. @Dr_Gaming manages to enter the Top10 with 1,221 points and does now lead the pack hunting the Top9 (1,300+ points). Part of that pack are now also @Tanktress (1,182 points), @kinghuang (1,112 points) and @limemaster (1,093 points), all of them with new career highs thanks to victories in the LLL 10/2021. Gaining 117 points compared to last week, @iippabella now sits at 922 points.

Tournament week 100 brings some movement at the top of the ranking. @plug and @FinrodFelagund pull off victories at the top levels of the Legendary Level League and land at 1,528 and 1,526 points respectively in the Top5. Coincidentally, they are also the top seeds in the new Swiss tournament started this week.

This will likely be the last ranking with this format and methodology. I’ll be working on the new and improved version. As per the results of this poll, I plan on including national flags and continental colors on a voluntary basis.

If you’d like to represent your country in the future 1v1 NP2 World Rankings, please send me a message with it here or on Discord at any point. Alternatively, you can also submit your continent or remain unspecified.

I miss that extra-comfortable seat in the top 3, so I’m eager to climb my way back up to it, after my eventually even record and hiatus resulted in dropping down to #21. :slight_smile: