April/2021 1v1 EPIC Tournament with Mirrored Maps

While we are still wrapping up the December 1v1 tournament, I figured it’s time for some more mano-mano carnage! See bottom of this post for how the brackets were drawn.

Click here to see @Dysp’s awesome Tournament Tracker.

24-singlemod4

Please be sure to join the game using the SAME name as your Forum name.
Round 1 (Confirm params are correct and maps look “good”):
2. @ignaloidas vs @Lex - game link - @Lex WIN
3. @BelSon vs @FinrodFelagund - game link - @FinrodFelagund WIN
6. @Tanktress vs @wint3ermute - game link - @wint3ermute WIN
7. @SimonMiaou vs @spymort - game link - @spymort WIN
10. @kinghuang vs @Macomber - game link - @Macomber WIN
11. @Zatoc vs @suedenim - game link - @Zatoc WIN
14. @TheLastHero vs @gaz123 - game link - @TheLastHero WIN
15. Keeves @LeDazz vs @Sneferu - game link - @LeDazz WIN

Round 2 (first players were seeded high enough to get a BYE in the first round)
17. @Trucriot vs @Lex - game link - @Trucriot WIN
18. @Cryptious vs @FinrodFelagund - game link - @FinrodFelagund WIN
19. @DarkDragonwing vs @wint3ermute - game link - @wint3ermute WIN
20. @plug vs @spymort - game link - @plug WIN
21. @HULK vs @Macomber - game link - @HULK WIN
22. @Karmadrome vs @Zatoc - game link - @Karmadrome WIN
23. @Dysp vs @TheLastHero - game link - @Dysp WIN
24. @panblanco vs @LeDazz - game link - @panblanco WIN

Quarter-Finals:
25. @Trucriot vs @FinrodFelagund - game link - @Trucriot WIN
26. @wint3ermute vs @plug - game link - @plug WIN
27. @HULK vs @Karmadrome - game link - @HULK WIN (678 ticks!)
28. @Dysp vs @panblanco - game link (STALEMATE!) so this game. - @panblanco WIN

Semi-Finals:
29. @Trucriot vs @plug - game link - @Trucriot WIN
30. @HULK vs @panblanco - @panblanco conceded due to RL issues

Championship - @Trucriot vs @HULK - Both players agreed to “Not Decided” due to RL issues.

A slight change from before is Starting Cash is $2,500 instead of $2,000. The hope is that this opens up the game a bit more and gets things going faster - I’ll be curious to hear how it plays out.

Similar setup as before with the following mods from default params:
Weapons start at Level3 and are LOCKED (whoever gets W4 first has a too-big-of advantage)
Experimentation is LOCKED at Level ZERO, Manufacturing is Expensive, and Banking is Cheap
Cheap Science (this seems to work well and provide some balance to an Indy-fest)
EPIC (64 stars/player) Galaxy with Far Distances
HomeStar is 20/20/4 rather than 5/5/1
Starting Cash is $2,500 (don’t spend it all at once, but lots of carriers to expand is recommended)
You start with ONE star that has 100 ships
The Map is MIRRORED … so you each have IDENTICAL starting positions.
Real-time games favor those who are willing to forgo sleep, so the play is turn-based SIX ticks/turn.
Password is “1v1”

There’s no “right” way to win (except HULK SMASH is always a good strategy!) but do take time to map out your opening moves - you should be able to submit quickly after that. I’d recommend a fair number of carriers to expand rapidly … but you probably don’t want so spend all your cash on the first Cycle.

Since this is an EPIC map, it will take a while to play out. So please do NOT sign up if you can’t commit to AT LEAST a move/day … ideally a couple/day to keep things moving along.

Note that you are allowed 48 hours to submit which is to take care of the (hopefully very rare) situation where something comes up in RL and you can’t submit in a day. Since it is 1v1, there is no diplomacy (except razzing your opponent!) and with turn-based, if you are the 2nd person to submit (and advance the turn), then please try to make your subsequent moves and hit that SUBMIT button! :wink:

Note that you do NOT need to be a premium NP player to participate … but if you have a “free” account, you are limited to 2 games at a time … so please don’t sign up for the 1v1 tournament if you can’t keep an open slot. Or better yet, consider signing up for premium and toss Jay a few bucks for a great game! :wink:

Hopefully we can keep things moving along so people aren’t delayed, but (assuming players start at about the same time), lets try to keep it to one month for any game/round but if everyone else finishes, then you have a week (and at least 2 cycles) to finish. Winner decided by most stars with tiebreaker being most ships. Stalling to win by time is lame (in NP and any sport), so please don’t abuse the time limits. Most of the tournament games finished in 2 weeks, so hopefully we can move along at a similar pace. I just don’t want people to have to wait around too long and lose interest.

If “something” comes up, the Tournament Director (aka the Jolly Green Giant aka the Rule-Meister!) will attempt to make the fairest decision that benefits the most people. Sorry for all the fine-print legalese!

We’ll use @Trucriot’s rating system for seeding for the top-28 players (“ranking” (in parentheses) per April 11th, 2021 table) and then order of signup:
@HULK(3) - @TheLastHero - @kinghuang - @Keeves(21) - @Cryptious(15) - @plug(8) - @ignaloidas - @panblanco(9) - @Zatoc(17) - @Lex - @Macomber - @Tanktress(28) - @Karmadrome(11) - @SimonMiaou(27) - @Trucriot(3) - @gaz123 - @BelSon(16) - @Dysp(5) - @wint3ermute - @spymort - @Sneferu - @suedenim - @DarkDragonwing(6) - @FinrodFelagund
We’ll cap the tournament at 24 entries - anyone else signing up after this will be on the “sub list”
Sub List: @LeDazz (replaced @Keeves)

Please reply here in this thread if you’d like to join in on the carnage (and can commit to keep the games moving along) and I’ll setup the tournament! At some point, I’ll close down any more new entries.

2 Likes

I’m in!

Count me in! :slight_smile:

Count me in. Thanks Hulk!

In!!! :slight_smile:

Please sign me up @HULK - thanks

Count me in!

Sign me up :slight_smile:

I’m in

I would like to join!

I’m new to 1v1 tournament and the forum, but not new to NP

I have added everyone above this post to the OP - we are up to 10 players so far!

Count me in!

alright alright you talked me into it. i like to try

This might be my NP swan song, count me in (i hope I haven’t forgotten how to play)

Count me in!

In.

Ok, I’m up for it… if I’m not too late that is??

You’re definitely not too late - we have some flexibility thanks to potential bye rounds for the top seeds, thus every player signing up before HULK closes sign-ups is guaranteed a spot in the field.

So to everyone reading this - sign up now, before HULK does just that :wink:

1 Like

I have added everyone above this post to the OP - we are up to 16 players so far … which is a power-of-2 and therefore perfect for a tournament.

Can we get to 32?

I’d like to, but I’ve potentially got some big changes in RL coming up and might not be able to commit to the whole thing. If I hear otherwise, I’ll let you know ASAP and see if I can still sign up. :slight_smile: