April/2021 1v1 EPIC Tournament with Mirrored Maps

June 1st update.
Round #1 - all games are complete.
Round #2 - three games are in progress and look close.
Round #3 - @FinrodFelagund is waiting for you @Trucriot, so I’d recommend you guys start your game.

Wanted to avoid a very slow start caused by external circumstances. Given we’re the only Round #3 match ready - with the others still looking far from getting started - this seemed feasible, but will join soon.

@Zatoc has conceded in our match. It was a very close contest, partly due to the map which only allowed a small number of attack points early on. Once it had settled into the mid game, I made most of the attacks with little success, so I knew it was going to take a little more planning to break through the defences. I targetted a star in the East of the map which would open up a number of vulnerable stars to me, but needed range (plus an expensive gate) to make the plan work and I was already falling behind in the stats. So I slowly built the gates, moved the necessary ships about, continued probing defences so @Zatoc didn’t suspect anything (and to see if another opportunity arose). Thankfully I managed to break through and the plan worked. Good job really, as it was a risky plan that would’ve left me even further behind in the stats. At that point @Zatoc conceded as it meant the east of the map was effectively under my control as I’d managed to shift a large number of ships there.
Tough contest.
GG @Zatoc

Sounds like a good battle and sorry the map didn’t play out too well - I actually put a lot of time trying to generate maps that have multiple contact points, but it’s hard to know how things will actually develop.

I’ve updated the OP and @Karmadrome moves to the Quarter-Finals against the Jolly Green Giant.
Does this map look good to you?

FYI that I’m actually traveling all of next week … so I won’t join for a bit. Plus I’ve got an ongoing game against my nemesis @Solfyre that I actually stand a chance of winning … although I’ve made some sucky moves in the last several turns.

Joined. Looking forward to the battle… :crossed_swords:

Another chance for 1v1-hungry players is here - sign up for the 4th edition of the Legendary Level League! It’s only a commitment for one game :wink:

Pinging the players here who are not already involved: @TheLastHero - @kinghuang - @Karmadrome - @SimonMiaou - @gaz123 - @Dysp - @wint3ermute - @spymort

1 Like

Ok, count me in!

Better to sign up directly in the LLL thread linked above, but glad to have you on board too! :smiley:

I just conceded my game against @wint3ermute. He played very well and didn‘t make any mistakes. He took an early lead in techs and stats. I wasn‘t able to catch him up and in the end he succesfully launched a full attack on my weakest spot. Nothing left to do for me to turn the game…

You deserve it!

Good luck against @plug :smiley:

Two points:
Early in the game I started an attak and was really impressed that DarkDragonwing managed to defend. I wouldn’t have been able to defend if he had launched a similar attack against me.
During the final offensive I kept a gate open near my home star but outside of DarkDragonwing’s scanning range. He somehow guessed it and attacked my home star which I barely managed to defend.
Despite my lead in almost every stat it was hard to figure out a way to actually win the game. Good game.

Nicely done @wint3ermute - I’ve joined the next round game already, so whenever you want to make a start just jump in, but no rush if you need a pause. Sounds like the match between you and @DarkDragonwing was full of excitement.

I conceded to @Dysp. I’ve just missed my 3rd turn and it’s pretty clear that I can’t balance the game with everything else going on right now. Hopefully things will settle down enough for me to join the Aug/Sep round. Congrats to @Dysp, you had me beat either way. We may have had a long war ahead of us, but I’m pretty sure your lead after the first couple cycles would’ve slowly compounded into a win.

Yea, it’s real tough if you miss a couple of turns.
I’ve updated the OP and all brackets are into the quarter-finals.
Please join your game @Dysp & @panblanco and start the carange! :wink:

well I conceeded to @Trucriot forgot to buy on the first tick and it really makes no sense to play out a game against the top dog that way :smiley:
I hope I will be more on top of it next time. Promise you not go that easy again if we meet!

Quite unfortunate mistake, but I feel like you had a good chance to still come back from a missed Eco purchase. My whole gameplan was just beginning to unfold and so did yours most probably, should have made for a good fight. Let’s see when we meet next, it’s surely gonna be a challenge!

Boy … that’s a bummer to have the game end after one cycle … because while @FinrodFelagund is fairly new to 1v1, I’ve played against him and he’s really good … so I was hoping the up-and-coming “Rookie” was going to give the Wily Veteran @Trucriot a run for the money! :wink:

I’ve updated the OP with the results … but if by chance @Trucriot would be willing to play a rematch (no obligation), let me know and I can generate another game.

@FinrodFelagund may be new, but is working hard on closing that experience gap :smiley: In just a quarter he’s already played as many 1v1 games as I have in the 10 months since my 1v1 start (no 1v1 friendly yet). His future opponents will need to continue to watch out as he continues to soak up NP2 knowledge :wink:

Unfortunately I’ll have to skip on a rematch for the same reason I skipped the last two editions of my “own” LLL tournament - my current time constraints.

I agree with @Trucriot it’s my own mistake.
no rematch necessary I’ll just try to reach the later rounds of more tournaments again to get a rematch. :slight_smile:
Fairly happy to not have too many games going on anymore aswell, as this push in experience has certainly taken its toll with my own time being limited at the moment. It’s just not feasible to play more than maybe 2-3 games on a high level at a time.
Edit: @HULK thanks for suggesting though

Match 26 is just done, and I managed to edge out @wint3ermute - it was closely fought, and I was worried about my tech choices. I went for a Range surge to pick up various outlying stars which can be risky, but it worked this time. I got lucky on some early border battles as well.

Looks like I have @Trucriot next, gulp… maybe a slight pause before I plunge in…

Yeah, somehow it slipped my mind that Range2 can be researched early and can influence the initial routes and deployments.
Mirrored maps mislead me into thinking that if I am weak in some position that my opponent must also be weak at the corresponding position on his side. Somehow it is never the case and I run into a wall.
Congratulations @plug and good luck in you next games.