April/2021 1v1 EPIC Tournament with Mirrored Maps

I’m game to call it and start a new map. @Dysp, what do you think?

Wanted to see a few more rounds, but I feel the same way. We could play another 400 ticks and the situation would not change. Econs and researches are even and defender bonus is so huge that any attack would be a total suicide. @HULK @panblanco If we can get a very tight map with lots of small gaps on projected border, we might have a better go at it…

@HULK , I wonder whether setting HW distance to medium would help to reduce playing duration & reduce some of the stalemate problems ? A lot of stars would be lost during map generation because they are too near each other though.

Any excess maps that you do not use could be shared on the 1v1 Friendlies thread.

Sorry the map didn’t work out @panblanco and @Dysp … rest assured I spent a bit of time trying to generate one exactly as you mention - fairly tight with lots of small gaps on the border. Keep in mind that sometimes the border is not “horizontal” … a good number of games end up being diagonal.

So standby as I’m going to use @Dysp’s excellent tool to try to delete a game in progress. If that doesn’t work, I’ll generate one manually for 'ya to try.

OK - so @Dysp’s tool didn’t allow me to delete the game in progress (which arguably is the “right” thing to do), so here’s a couple of maps for you guys to consider:

Password is “1v1” … so take a look 'em and if one is mutually agreeable, then “fight’s on!”

LOL some examples of not-so-good maps:

The next opportunity to participate in a 1v1 tournament game is here: Sign up for the 5th round of the Legendary Level League now! It’s only a 1-game-commitment :wink:

@TheLastHero - @Keeves - @Cryptious - @ignaloidas - @Zatoc - @Tanktress - @Karmadrome - @SimonMiaou - @gaz123 - @Dysp - @wint3ermute - @DarkDragonwing - @FinrodFelagund - @LeDazz

@panblanco I might vote for the 1st or 4th on, but any map is the same for both so let me know… :wink:

I joined game 1. Seems alright to me.

Sorry for the delay…

No problem. I was busy for the last few days, I just jumped in myself. Should be more time tomorrow and afterwards to get things going.

Thanks for starting your game @panblanco and @Dysp - I have updated the OP to reflect the stalemate in the first game and that you are battling in a 2nd game.

A reminder @Trucriot that @plug is ready for 'ya in your game here.

@Karmadrome and I are 444 ticks into our LINK FIXED game here. I just got back from a week of travel and very limited Internet connectivity, so I can submit on a more timely basis now.

Opps ! wrong link. :slight_smile: It is important to wear your safety helmets. LOL

The question is who of you represents which: PHL PA32 or EVY HELO*? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Joining my game tonight.

@Dysp just conceded in our rematch game.

Congrats @panblanco … especially since @Dysp is a worthy foe.

You will play the winner of myself and @Karmadrome - our game is currently in tick #504 and while I’ve had the lead in stars for a couple of hundred ticks, I haven’t been able to put the HULK SMASH on him yet, although I did get ANGRY in the NE sector! :wink:

I generated several games before I ended up with this one - please take a close look and let me know if you think that is playable - i.e. likely NOT to end in a stalemate.

I think the map looks alright. Let me know when you two wrap up :slight_smile:

Thanks for checking that game @panblanco.

@Karmadrome and I are at tick #540 and while I’m holding my lead in stars, he’s putting up a heck of fight despite my HULK SMASH attempts which have yet to yield a breakthrough.

The next opportunity to participate in a 1v1 tournament game is here: Sign up for the 6th round of the Legendary Level League now and influence its settings via the polls! It’s only a 1-game-commitment :wink:

@HULK - @TheLastHero - @Keeves - @Cryptious - @ignaloidas - @Zatoc - @Tanktress - @Karmadrome - @SimonMiaou - @BelSon - @Dysp - @wint3ermute - @LeDazz

I’m done, just conceded to @HULK
I thought I had him at one point, with a big ship advantage, but I just couldn’t break down his defences. Well played yet again @HULK
It’s kind of fitting that I got beaten again by @HULK as this may well be my last NP game.
I’ve had so many years of enjoyment playing this game all the way back to NP1, so a big thanks to @JayKyburz for that.
Time to move on, but of course I may have to check back once in a while if I’m feeling nostalgic, or to reignite old rivalries, or just if I realise I’ve made a huge mistake in leaving :rofl:
Finally, good luck to the rest of the 1v1 competitors!

There is a lot of work on the map, you are good, I wish you successful completion!!

I finally (!) defeated @Karmadrome in a game that could easily have gone either way for the longest time. It was certainly a top-10 game and definitely set the record for longevity at 678 ticks - I think if he had kept playing, it may have taken me a 1000 ticks to finally defeat him!

This was over four months of intense play - and a LOT of hours analyzing the map and trying different strategies - some worked (HULK SMASH!), a bunch of “Damn @Karmadrome, I didn’t see that coming!”, a bunch of “wish I hadn’t changed my moves - coulda/woulda/shoulda”, and numerous “just barely won’s” that kept me in the game.

I’m sorry to see @Karmadrome take a break from NP as he is a very worthy foe and we have had countless battles. A great long-time resident of the NP Universe.

@panblanco - Thanks for patiently waiting for us to finish. I send you a PM to see if you are ready for your semi-final match against the Jolly Green Giant! :wink: