August/2018 1v1 EPIC Tournament with mirrored maps - Karmadrome WINS!

So we’ve had a couple of 1v1 tournaments which have been a blast - the most recent one is here.
There have been some EPIC battles that have lasted 15+ Cycles - some fun carnage!

1A: @HULK vs. @BelSon - game link - HULK WIN
1B: @Karmadrome vs. @TheLastHero - game link - Karmadrome WIN
Finals: @HULK vs. @Karmadrome - game link - Karmadrome WIN

Similar setup as before with the following mods from default params:
Weapons start at Level3 and are LOCKED (whoever gets W4 first has a too-big-of advantage)
Experimentation is LOCKED at Level1 and Manufacturing is Expensive to Research
EPIC (64 stars/player) Galaxy with Far Distances
HomeStar is 20/20/4 rather than 5/5/1
Starting Cash is $2000 (don’t spend it all at once!)
You start with ONE star that has 50 ships
The Map is MIRRORED … so you each have IDENTICAL starting positions.
Real-time games favor those who are willing to forgo sleep, so the play is the default 8 ticks/jump turn-based.

Since this is an EPIC map, it will take a while to play out … please do NOT sign up if you can’t commit to AT LEAST a move/day … ideally a couple/day to keep things moving along. Note that you are allowed 48 hours to submit which is to take care of the (hopefully very rare) situation where something comes up in RL and you can’t submit in a day. Since it is 1v1, there is no diplomacy (except razzing your opponent!) and with turn-based, if you are the 2nd person to submit (and advance the turn), then please try to make your subsequent moves and hit that SUBMIT button! :wink:

Hopefully we can keep things moving along so people aren’t delayed, but (assuming players start at about the same time), lets try to keep it to one month for any game/round but if everyone else finishes, then you have a week (and at least 2 cycles) to finish. Winner decided by most stars with tiebreaker being most ships. Stalling to win by time is lame (in NP and any sport), so please don’t abuse the time limits. Most of the tournament games finished in 2 weeks, so hopefully we can move along at a similar pace. I just don’t want people to have to wait around too long and lose interest.

If “something” comes up, the Tournament Director (that would be the Jolly Green Giant aka the Rule-Miester!) will attempt to make the fairest decision that benefits the most people. Sorry for all the fine-print legalese!

Please reply here if you are interested and once we have a critical mass, I’ll setup a single elimination tournament.

Still interested. Done some advertising of this tournament in my group of players.

Bumping thread.

If only @BelSon, @TheLastHero, and @Karmadrome are interested, we can have a 4-player quickie.

Interested, but would rather have a larger game, it’s more fun with more players.

Definitely agree with @nick.muzzio one of those multi player tourneys would be my preference.

I am in if we can do a 48 hour turn limit. I’m moving back to school soon so I’ll be pretty busy.

Yea, game is 48-hour time limit to submit … so you have time if needed, but hopefully you can do more often to move it along … so should we just start a 4-way?

I’m thinking since I have played both @TheLastHero and @Karmadrome, we’ll pair those guys up in one game and I’ll go against @BelSon - you guys ready to start?

Yes, go for it.

Yeah if we start today I’ll have plenty of time to play faster. I don’t move in for a week.

Even when in school I can probably submit twice a day, it’s just good to have 48h as a fall back if I get busy.

I may not be able to submit so quickly, but I’ll try to do once a day at the very least.

Do people get badges for these tournaments?

If not maybe say so in the description. And if badges are awarded then also say so. Either way it avoids potential confusion.

2 Likes

Yep I’m ready.

@Karmadrome vs. @TheLastHero - two choices for you guys - let me know what works for 'ya:

Straight up the middle slugfest!

Kinda of a funky setup - might play well

@HULK vs. @BelSon - either of these two look good - pick one to your liking and join!

I’d rather not impose on Jay … so no badges … just the fame and glory (and fun) of competing in a 1v1 deathmatch! :wink:

Either map is cool with me, let me know which one you prefer @Karmadrome

I prefer the first one. It should be carnage.

Alright, I’ve joined

@BelSon and I have concluded our game - nice to have it move along zippity fast.
He made a bold mega-attack up the middle, but I was able to win by 1 tick and 1 ship … so that tipped it heavily in my favor and he graciously conceded after that. I have updated the first post to show that I’ll play the winner of @Karmadrome and @TheLastHero

Wholeheartedly agree.

Slow going in our game, after 104 ticks…
@Karmadrome 51 stars, 1043 ships
@TheLastHero 47 stars, 825 ships

I have the lead in econ and ind, @TheLastHero has the lead in science.
We’ve had different stategies on tech, I lead in scanning, but @TheLastHero leads in terra and manu.