Dark Spiral

I’m likely to be eliminated soon in my third game. If yours is still open by then, I’ll jump in.

@eDave, on your test map, what were the approximate distances across the gap between the spirals.

@Brian_Flowers I think it us about 12 LY between home stars across the gap.

Could I see the coordinate batch used. You could send me a private message if you don’t want to just post them here.

So I’m thinking something more like this as a suggestion for future map design. It avoids the isolated center position by creating a second tail. I’m not sure if that will make much difference in actual game play, but just what I was thinking about.

Perhaps my ring map is the only way to avoid someone from having only one direction to head.

1 Like

Love it for dark galaxies!

How is the game going guys?

eDave setup a great game and it has been quite a challenge with the Dark Galaxy … but unfortunately a major dramafest ensued that then resulted is some pretty harsh language by a couple of folks - real shame to see in a GAME … :frowning:

Then call them out, Hulk.

(I’m not in the game)

1 Like

Not my style to slander people Matt …

Just sad to see people throw hissy fits when things don’t go their way and use profanity … but HEY, maybe it’s their way of playing the game - I’ll give 'em the benefit of the doubt they aren’t like that in RL.

For those interested, here’s what Dark Spiral looks like at Tick #709.
I have some periodic screenshot that might be interesting to see as a time-lapse.

I have a 2560x1600 monitor … but in order to see the fleet movements (issuing orders to 387 carriers takes a while!), I had to take two full size screenshots and combine them … and still chopped off a little bit on the side.

Click on the image below to see HUGE SIZE!

4 Likes

Nice! Shame Beard kicked the bucket. He was my favourite Australian.

Beard certainly had … personality! :wink:

BTW, I have no idea what happened to him - all of a sudden, he just dropped out - no notice. Hopefully not something bad in RL.

He had his account suspended.

Thats not good. You have to play by the rules though.

All props to Jay for giving him the chance though. The last thing I want to do is get people kicked.

Speaking of Beard (Orange Triangle), he sent me this screenshot early on in the game.

At the time, I think things were generally friendly with multi-way tech exchanges going on (remember we were limited to “scan range tech trade” only) … and he said that Yellow Triangle wanted to send some ships up North to go after me - I’m another player further up North from here … so yea, pretty crazy early in the game to think that’s viable since it takes forever to get there … and by then, the natural inflation of the game means your ships won’t amount for much.

He felt that Yellow Triangle was attempting to make a linkup with the allies (Lookup Andy is Blue Square - Crow1170 is Red Triangle and already being squeezed) and then be able to bypass Beard for tech trading and put the squeeze on Beard.

My comment upon seeing this map was it’s pretty crazy letting another player pass right through your system … but regardless, Beard said YellowTriangle going after that Warp Gate was enough to make him realize this was a mistake and he then went to war …and then the drama-fest broke out … :wink:

Here’s a time-lapse from the start up to Tick 459 of the game - at that point, it got too big and I had to zoom out another level - I’ll post that once the game is over … which should be in a few days.

Note that at Tick 194, I had to zoom back out a bit to fit everything in.
Click on image below to see really big!

2 Likes

Beard was so full of it. I wanted to send a carrier up to gain range with lookupAndy, for trade purposes, as Beard was unreliable and a bit psycho, which he proved. I do love how you like posting taunting and boasting shots. I guess when you alienate most people in game, you need to come here for the praise you so need.

After starting on June 18th, Dark Spiral just ended after 31.5 (RL) days later after 756 ticks. Below is the “larger map” snapshots I took with the final layout after that. This was a pretty cool map and thanks eDave for putting together.

The one thing I would change is having more “bridge” stars between the empires - once I got fairly strong in the inner circle, it was very difficult for other players on the outside loop to make a successful long jump to attack me as this was a HR6/7/8 leap - they certainly tried, but because I could see it coming a long time in advance, I was able to defend with nearby WG’s. I’ve mentioned it before, but hopefully Jay can improve the map generation code - maybe an option to specify the maximum distance between stars to close those gaps.

Great game everyone.

Click images below to see really big!

Final ScreenShot