December/2020 1v1 EPIC Tournament with Mirrored Maps

While we are still wrapping up the August 1v1 tournament, I figured it’s time for some more mano-mano carnage! See bottom of this post for how the brackets were drawn.

SUPER AWESOME LIVE Tournament Tracker here - thanks to @Dysp
Please be sure to join the game using the SAME name as your Forum name.

Round 1 (Confirm params are correct and maps look “good”):
2. @TheLastHero vs @kinghuang - game link - kinghuang WIN
3. @Zatoc vs @panblanco - game link - panblanco WIN
4. @BelSon vs @HOUSEBOAT_THANGS - game link - Belson WIN
6. @SimonMiaou vs @Keeves - game link - Keeves WIN
7. @Roedhip vs @Cryptious - game link - Cryptious WIN
10. Birel Feca@Zatoc vs @exOrbitant - game link - Zatoc WIN
11. @GluteusMaximusII vs @Macomber - game link - GluteusMaximusII WIN
12. @Kaine vs @gaz123 - game link - Kaine WIN
13. @DarkDragonwing vs @Tristanvds - game link - DarkDragonwing WIN
14. @DarkLord123 vs @Dr_Gaming - game link - Dr_Gaming WIN
15. @rubensan vs @plug - game link - plug WIN

Round 2 (Confirm params are correct and maps look “good”):
17. @HULK vs @kinghuang - game link - HULK SMASH!
18. @panblanco vs Belson - game link - panblanco WIN
19. @Dysp vs @Keeves - game link - Dysp WIN
20. @Cryptious vs @Trucriot - game link - Trucriot WIN
21. @Solfyre vs @Zatoc - game link - Solfyre WIN
22. @GluteusMaximusII vs @Kaine - game link - GluteusMaximusII WIN
23. @DarkDragonwing vs @Dr_Gaming - game link - DarkDragonwing WIN
24. @plug vs @Karmadrome - game link - plug WIN

Round 3:
25. @HULK vs @panblanco - game link - panblanco SMASHED the HULK! :wink:
26. @Dysp vs @Trucriot - game link - Trucriot WIN
27. @Solfyre vs @GluteusMaximusII - game link - Solfyre WIN
28. @DarkDragonwing vs @plug - game link - DarkDragonwing WIN

Round 4:
29. @panblanco vs @Trucriot - game link - Trucriot WIN
30. @Solfyre vs @DarkDragonwing - game link - Solfyre WIN

Championship:
31. @Trucriot vs @Solfyre - game link - @Trucriot WIN

Changes from before are Experimentation is going to be locked at ZERO - big thanks to Jay for modifying the NP code to allow this change that removes that element of luck. I have mixed feelings about it since the randomness was kinda fun and something to look forward to at the Cycle … but it could unduly influence the game.

Similar setup as before with the following mods from default params:
Weapons start at Level3 and are LOCKED (whoever gets W4 first has a too-big-of advantage)
Experimentation is LOCKED at Level ZERO, Manufacturing is Expensive, and Banking is Cheap
Cheap Science (this seems to work well and provide some balance to an Indy-fest)
EPIC (64 stars/player) Galaxy with Far Distances
HomeStar is 20/20/4 rather than 5/5/1
Starting Cash is $2,000 (don’t spend it all at once, but lots of carriers to expand is recommended)
You start with ONE star that has 100 ships
The Map is MIRRORED … so you each have IDENTICAL starting positions.
Real-time games favor those who are willing to forgo sleep, so the play is turn-based SIX ticks/turn.
Password is “1v1”

There’s no “right” way to win (except HULK SMASH is always a good strategy!) but do take time to map out your opening moves - you should be able to submit quickly after that. I’d recommend a fair number of carriers to expand rapidly … but you probably don’t want so spend all your cash on the first Cycle.

BTW, please report your results here and I’ll update the brackets and setup subsequent games.

Since this is an EPIC map, it will take a while to play out. So please do NOT sign up if you can’t commit to AT LEAST a move/day … ideally a couple/day to keep things moving along.

Note that you are allowed 48 hours to submit which is to take care of the (hopefully very rare) situation where something comes up in RL and you can’t submit in a day. Since it is 1v1, there is no diplomacy (except razzing your opponent!) and with turn-based, if you are the 2nd person to submit (and advance the turn), then please try to make your subsequent moves and hit that SUBMIT button! :wink:

Note that you do NOT need to be a premium NP player to participate … but if you have a “free” account, you are limited to 2 games at a time … so please don’t sign up for the 1v1 tournament if you can’t keep an open slot. Or better yet, consider signing up for premium and toss Jay a few bucks for a great game! :wink:

Hopefully we can keep things moving along so people aren’t delayed, but (assuming players start at about the same time), lets try to keep it to one month for any game/round but if everyone else finishes, then you have a week (and at least 2 cycles) to finish. Winner decided by most stars with tiebreaker being most ships. Stalling to win by time is lame (in NP and any sport), so please don’t abuse the time limits. Most of the tournament games finished in 2 weeks, so hopefully we can move along at a similar pace. I just don’t want people to have to wait around too long and lose interest.

If “something” comes up, the Tournament Director (aka the Jolly Green Giant aka the Rule-Meister!) will attempt to make the fairest decision that benefits the most people. Sorry for all the fine-print legalese!

In the past, I’ve picked some random method of seeding … but this time, we’ll try to use @Trucriot rating system to pick the slots. I put the top-8 seeds in their “own” 2nd bracket using standard seeing of 1-8-5-4-3-6-7-2 from top to bottom. I then put the rest of the players in the 1st bracket in the order they signed up.There’s no “perfect” way to do this … but the idea here was not to make a new player go mano-mano in the first round against a veteran who ranks high. And if we get a few more over 24, then I’ll just add 'em against the #8 seed, #7 seed, etc.

Signed up so far - number in parenthese is “ranking” as of December 1st, 2020.
@HULK(1) - @Trucriot(10) - @TheLastHero - @Karmadrome(3) - @kinghuang - @Zatoc - @panblanco - @SimonMiaou - @Keeves - @DarkDragonwing(21) - @Roedhip - @BelSon(22) - @Cryptious - @Birel - @exOrbitant - @Kaine(15) - @Solfyre(9) - @GluteusMaximusII - @Macomber - @DarkLord123 - @Dysp(12) - @Dr_Gaming - @rubensan - @plug

EXTRA PLAYERS added after initial 24 player setup:
@Feca (did not join) - @HOUSEBOAT_THANGS - @Tristanvds - @gaz123 ( @Birel did not join)

Please reply here in this thread if you’d like to join in on the carnage (and can commit to keep the games moving along) and I’ll setup the tournament! At some point, I’ll close down any more new entries.
Tournament CLOSED to new entries - sign up for the next one! :wink:

In!

Good idea to introduce a tiebreaker to keep the time under more control in future games :wink:

Regarding the ranking used for the seeds - we will take the updated one up to Round 39 which will include most of the concluded matches (released soon).

I’m in! Ready to get smashed yet again :smiley:

Count me in.
I’m raring to go seeing as it doesn’t look like I’ll know my opponent in the earlier tourney until 2021 (or maybe even 2022 at this rate). :rofl:

1 Like

Please count me in!

Sign me up

Sign me up.

I’m in!

I would like to Join. Thanks for setting this up.

Signed up so far: @HULK - @Trucriot - @TheLastHero - @Karmadrome - @kinghuang - @Zatoc - @panblanco - @SimonMiaou - @Keeves

I‘m in.

I’d like to try.

Sign me up again please :slight_smile:

Sign me up !! :slight_smile:

if it starts it a week I am in!

Yeah I’ll toss my hat in to be summarily eaten and set on fire! :+1:

I’ll join :slight_smile:

sign me up!

Sounds like fun. Throw my name in the hat.

Per first post, added @DarkDragonwing - @Roedhip - @BelSon - @Cryptious - @Birel - @exOrbitant - @Kaine - @Solfyre - @GluteusMaximusII … so we are up to 18 so far.

@Birel (and others): My guess is we probably will start in about a week … BUT … this tournament will go on for months … so if you only have a time window of the holidays to be available to play, probably not the best for 'ya.