Flying Swiss 1v1 Tournament [FS 01/2023]

Will post when reach it.

216 reached, we await the verdictā€¦ But plug definitely turned it around. I tried to convert to an early win and it backfired when he capitalised on those moves. Gg

Yes, we reached the 216 @Trucriot - I ended up with an 8-star lead and pulling away on income, ships & science, but @Kaine came within three stars of winning earlier on, partly because of the asymmetric start we discussed earlier. It was an interesting and fun game - weā€™ll wait to hear what you feel on your adjudication.

@plug [GB-2] vs. @Kaine [AQ-11] 64-58 at Tick 216: WIN for plug (-184)

GG both!

@BelSon and I just reached tick 144 in our game!

A lot of my matches this Flying Swiss has been rather slow, I want to apologize for that, I ended up being a lot busier than I expected when I signed up for the tournament, so I havenā€™t been able to submit as frequently as I would have liked to.

For those wondering, the stats are currently as follows, with @Satirael and I being equal in star count, and Satirael being ahead in every other measure besides economy, in which I have a lead.

Thatā€™s alright, as long as itā€™s not a big difference to your opponent there is no penalty for that. Itā€™s a longer tournament so unforeseeable things can always come up :wink:

@Satirael [DK-6] vs. @BelSon [AU-10] 50-50 at Tick 144: DRAW (+19)

Will post the final table and the finalists in a bit.

Table after Round 4:

Rank Player Points Buchholz
1. Solfyre 16 37
2. plug 12 40
3. panblanco 12 31
4. Satirael 9 35
5. Kaine 8 48
6. Skilly146 8 40
7. spymort 8 36
8. BelSon 8 28
9. gaz123 8 28
10. Lorentz 8 20
11. Gissni 7 33
12. Binbo 4 25
13. tenerezu 4 23
14. Bio-M6 0 24

Thus, the finalists are @Solfyre and @plug! Congratulations, the final map is ready for your battle :wink:

Special FS Awards :cowboy_hat_face:

Fondue Master @Kaine who had to face the most impressive opponents overall according to Buchholz!
Mountaineer @gaz123 who outperformed their initial seed the most!

Hope everyone had a good time with the tournament. Donā€™t forget to check out the xjhd Memorial Tournament - sign-ups open for a few more days.

Considering i played against the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 9th players (9th being gaz who got the award for best performance over seed) i feel that fondue is well earned!

1 Like

Overall I didnā€™t enjoy this format too much so I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be doing the next Flying Swiss. Games against Plug and panblanco were interesting but I almost felt rushed to get through them and definitely did not feel like I was doing my best. My other games were over in 3 cycles and were very underwhelming. So I think Iā€™ll stick to LLL where I have a bit more time and get to fight people with a consistent rating. Thanks for organising though!

The tighter deadlines certainly arenā€™t for everyone :slight_smile: Gotta make trade-offs for multi-round tournaments to avoid massive long term commitments.

Just a quick update to say that @Solfyre and I are in a very tightly fought final game of this tournament, with star-count equal at this stage but plenty of movement. NP 1v1 at its best!

1 Like

Interestingly, it went from a up and down match to a diagonal and now is almost approaching a left/right.

Wowza!

Here is our original expansion line.

Yellow x is homeworld

Purple circle is a juicy clump of 30+ NR stars that swung momentum diagonally early on

Green circle is an area of 40+ NR stars that is further pushing the diagonal shift.

Itā€™s definitely a great map! And weā€™ve followed different Science vs Income doctrines as well, just to spice it up some more.

And can you believe that BOTH homestars have fallen into enemy hands?!?! Unthinkable!

Really one of the most interesting 1v1s Iā€™ve played. The whole game we were like two snakes, chasing each otherā€™s tails. Until both homestars were eaten, it was a slow and steady build and progress. Now, all hell has broken loose.

I love it!

1 Like

Ok, the epic 360 tick finale has come to a close. In what was a tight, back and forth affair, ended mostly because i was able to reclaim my homeworld while maintaining control of @plug 's. From there, it snowballed very quickly.

Congrats and thank you @plug for the perfect finale for this tournament.

1 Like

Was a great contest, and @Solfyre is a worthy winner of the tournament. Thanks for organising it @Trucriot.