Flying Swiss 1v1 Tournament [FS 01/2023]

@Skilly146 took the win this round. An excellent and very enjoyable game. I saw exactly when the tide shifted, so it always pays to triple check your looping ships to ensure you are dropping versus just collecting. Unfortunately I was unable to recover.

Thats always a terrible sinking feeling, when you see your ships heading away from the battle lines.

@tenerezu fought hard to the bitter end, but werenā€™t quite able to counter my early game warp gates that allowed me to secure the center, which with the way it was set up would have been very hard for tenerezu to recapture without a foothold. It was a great game and I hope to play them again sometime!

yep

Iā€™ve just lost my Round 3 game to @Solfyre - it was a comprehensive defeat on an open map. I made a few errors, and never seemed to be able to judge the right moment to try an aggressive move.

Nicely done Justin!

Thanks @plug . it was hard to feel comfortable on that map, for sure. I managed to snipe a warp gate in a key spot and then the resulting advantage snowballed. Good game Ed. :slightly_smiling_face:

Always great to have the dominators of the 1v1 World Rankings collide in a high class game! New chance for @plug in the LLL top level straight away :wink:

I just finished up my game with @Binbo. It was a short, sharp game, where I got a small advantage on one side that allowed me to snipe a WG star right next to their home world. I then quickly tidied up and finished the game by passing the required star count.

And while we are at itā€¦ I just accepted victory in my round-2 game against @Gissni. Well played mate! It was a long, tough battle, lasting a whopping 450 ticks. The ending was pretty wild, with ship counts topping out at 26k ships for Gissni and 23k for me, before plummeting to ~15k apiece only one cycle later. Attached are some graphs for your viewing pleasure.

1 Like

Unfortunately I didnā€™t get around to set a tick deadline this round, but to stay on our timeline towards the final game, Iā€™ll call the two outstanding games now based on the stats. Waiting times are also considered as both games did not reach the tick goal.

@Satirael [DK-7] vs. @Gissni 55-49 TIGHT WIN for Satirael (-73)
@panblanco [US-8] vs. @spymort [AU-11] 56-48 WIN for panblanco (-210)

Table after Round 3:

Rank Player Points Buchholz
1. Solfyre 12 23
2. plug 8 24
3. Kaine 8 24
4. Skilly146 8 18
5. panblanco 8 16
6. Satirael 7 23
7. Gissni 7 17
8. BelSon 6 19
9. spymort 4 20
10. gaz123 4 20
11. tenerezu 4 15
12. Binbo 4 13
13. Lorentz 4 8
14. Bio-M6 0 12

Going to prepare the match-ups and maps for Round 4 later today.

Here are the Round 4 match-ups based on the table above (no repeats as per the Swiss rules):

1. @Solfyre [US-1] vs. @Skilly146 [US-19]
  2. @plug [GB-2] vs. @Kaine [AQ-11]
  3. @panblanco [US-9] vs. @Gissni [26]
  4. @Satirael [DK-6] vs. @BelSon [AU-10]
  5. @spymort [AU-8] vs. @Binbo
  6. @gaz123 vs. @Bio-M6 [BE]
  7. @tenerezu [MX] vs. @Lorentz

Use the according map link I provided for your game in @Dyspā€™s tournament tracking tool - press the hyperlink symbol to the right of the names:
https://np2stats.dysp.info/tournament.php?tournament=87

Password is 287 - please join your game with your forum name by April 5, otherwise it will be forfeited and your opponent automatically wins. Also be mindful to try and submit at least twice per day so we can get as many clear results by April 22 as possible. Afterwards, the Top 2 will compete for the Flying Swiss title in the final game.

Good luck and have fun everyone! If your game concludes, please post about it in this thread.

Coincidentally @spymort resigned today.

Actually - I saw the message here then decided to resign

My game with Gissni concluded today. It was a different sort of game. I ended up reaching the star count first while remaining behind in ships the whole time. Good game!

Finished my game against Binbo.

Lorentz took the win. I was not expecting him to build so many carriers so early and it paid off for him in the end. Very much enjoyed it.

1 Like

My game with @Skilly146 just ended with me claiming the necessary stars for victory. He missed a turn at least while some RL stuff happened and it snowballed from there. GG!

In my game with @Kaine we discovered a non-symmetric star - I have a 10 and my opponent has a 45. Its location was a crucial early-game staging-post, which I feel is why I went behind at the start (@Kaine slammed a gate on it right away, which obviously I couldnā€™t afford). However, Iā€™m happy to play the game out as I think I still have a chance of turning it around.

I came across this once before in a game against @Solfyre - did anyone else ever see this glitch also?

Whoa thatā€™s weird! Ive never noticed if it did occurā€¦

Iā€™ve seen this glitch twice. Once I had a 40+ NR star to my opponentā€™s 25 or less, and another time the initial distribution of 7 stars was different. The latter me and my opponent had a re-match. See Flying Swiss 1v1 Tournament [FS 06/2022] - #40 by BelSon