Flying Swiss 1v1 Tournament [FS 01/2023]

@plug was it one of your initial starting stars?

There doesn’t really seem to be a way to prevent this from happening on these FS maps. But maybe we could catch the mistake sooner? If it was a starting star, im sure the initial set of stars have set distribution. Like a 50, 45, 35, 30, 25, 15, 5 or some such thing. Maybe we could double check those before going deep into a game?

Just to report that I’ve won my match against Bio-M6. Bit of a hollow victory as after a good start he/she dropped out so it was just a matter of hanging on until he/she was deemed to be AFK

Yes, it was open of the starting stars, but my guess is there was a transposition in this case, so a basic run-through of the values might not have shown the problem.

Damn, that’s unfortunate. Not sure how we can avoid this…

In any case, the deadline is nearing:

@plug @Kaine game will end at Tick 216
@BelSon @Satirael game will end at Tick 144

Please post in the forum once you reach that final tick. Results will then be assessed based on stats.

OK - sounds good. I’ve just about managed to turn round the in-built disadvantage, but it will be a close finish.

Will post when reach it.

216 reached, we await the verdict… But plug definitely turned it around. I tried to convert to an early win and it backfired when he capitalised on those moves. Gg

Yes, we reached the 216 @Trucriot - I ended up with an 8-star lead and pulling away on income, ships & science, but @Kaine came within three stars of winning earlier on, partly because of the asymmetric start we discussed earlier. It was an interesting and fun game - we’ll wait to hear what you feel on your adjudication.

@plug [GB-2] vs. @Kaine [AQ-11] 64-58 at Tick 216: WIN for plug (-184)

GG both!

@BelSon and I just reached tick 144 in our game!

A lot of my matches this Flying Swiss has been rather slow, I want to apologize for that, I ended up being a lot busier than I expected when I signed up for the tournament, so I haven’t been able to submit as frequently as I would have liked to.

For those wondering, the stats are currently as follows, with @Satirael and I being equal in star count, and Satirael being ahead in every other measure besides economy, in which I have a lead.

That’s alright, as long as it’s not a big difference to your opponent there is no penalty for that. It’s a longer tournament so unforeseeable things can always come up :wink:

@Satirael [DK-6] vs. @BelSon [AU-10] 50-50 at Tick 144: DRAW (+19)

Will post the final table and the finalists in a bit.

Table after Round 4:

Rank Player Points Buchholz
1. Solfyre 16 37
2. plug 12 40
3. panblanco 12 31
4. Satirael 9 35
5. Kaine 8 48
6. Skilly146 8 40
7. spymort 8 36
8. BelSon 8 28
9. gaz123 8 28
10. Lorentz 8 20
11. Gissni 7 33
12. Binbo 4 25
13. tenerezu 4 23
14. Bio-M6 0 24

Thus, the finalists are @Solfyre and @plug! Congratulations, the final map is ready for your battle :wink:

Special FS Awards :cowboy_hat_face:

Fondue Master @Kaine who had to face the most impressive opponents overall according to Buchholz!
Mountaineer @gaz123 who outperformed their initial seed the most!

Hope everyone had a good time with the tournament. Don’t forget to check out the xjhd Memorial Tournament - sign-ups open for a few more days.

Considering i played against the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 9th players (9th being gaz who got the award for best performance over seed) i feel that fondue is well earned!

1 Like

Overall I didn’t enjoy this format too much so I don’t think I’ll be doing the next Flying Swiss. Games against Plug and panblanco were interesting but I almost felt rushed to get through them and definitely did not feel like I was doing my best. My other games were over in 3 cycles and were very underwhelming. So I think I’ll stick to LLL where I have a bit more time and get to fight people with a consistent rating. Thanks for organising though!

The tighter deadlines certainly aren’t for everyone :slight_smile: Gotta make trade-offs for multi-round tournaments to avoid massive long term commitments.

Just a quick update to say that @Solfyre and I are in a very tightly fought final game of this tournament, with star-count equal at this stage but plenty of movement. NP 1v1 at its best!

1 Like

Interestingly, it went from a up and down match to a diagonal and now is almost approaching a left/right.

Wowza!

Here is our original expansion line.