Flying Swiss 1v1 Tournament [FS 06/2022]

Hi all,

it is time for the third edition of the Flying Swiss: A relatively fast 1v1 tournament with Swiss rules - the turn deadline is 28 hours.

Reply by June 19 (Sunday) to sign up for the 1v1 fun on a fixed timeline! There’s a maximum capacity of 24 players or any even number of players below. Please only participate if you can commit to playing four to six subsequent 1v1 games for up to three weeks each and submit turns at least twice per day for the most part (see timeline and new rules further below). If you are not a Premium player, make sure you have an account with one free game slot for the tournament games.

For the uninitiated: 1v1s are a fun challenge for new NP2 players and veterans alike. You will face off on an epic mirrored map with no experimentation so you have the exact same starting position as your opponent. No diplomacy - instead it’s 100% strategy and game theory. It’s turn-based with only two players, so games can move along quickly.

There will be four rounds to determine the four top players of the tournament who will fight for the title of Flying 1v1 Champion in the semi-finals. Each round has a time-limit (14 or 21 days) and if a game hasn’t concluded in time, the tournament master (yours truly) will determine the points for the tournament based on various factors (e.g., stars, ships, wait times - see rules below). In each subsequent round, players will play others who have similar results in the tournament so far.

Deadlines

• 06/19 Sign-ups
  • 07/02 Round 1
  • 07/23 Round 2
  • 08/06 Round 3
  • 08/27 Round 4
  • 09/17 Semi-finals (4 players only)

New game links will be provided for the subsequent round after each deadline. Once game links are up, players have 72 hours to join, otherwise the game will be forfeited.

Settings will be 28/7 style (essentially a fast-start). Important changes compared to “normal” 1v1s:

• Turn Deadline: 28 hours (instead of 48 hours)
  • Random Warp Gates: Rare (instead of none)
  • Home Star Distance: Medium (instead of Far)
  • Natural Resources: Plentiful (instead of Standard)
  • Starting Stars: 7 (instead of 1)
  • Starting Ships per Star: 28 (instead of 100)
  • Starting Credits: 2807 (instead of 3000)
  • Starting Economy: 28 (instead of 20)
  • Starting Industry: 28 (instead of 20)
  • Starting Science: 7 (instead of 4)

Technology settings (Weapons fixed at 4, Experimentation 0 etc.) and 6-tick jumps remain untouched.

Previous Flying 1v1 Champions

@Solfyre (02/2022)
@plug (10/2021)

Tournament Rules

The most important metric in this tournament is points.

• 4 points for a clear win
  • 3 points for a tight win
  • 2 points for a draw
  • 1 point for a tight loss
  • 0 points for a clear loss

In case a game does not conclude within the alotted time, it will end regardless and players will be given 0 to 4 points each by the tournament master. These things will be considered:

• Did the game surpass 28*7=196 ticks (for 2-week-games) or (28+7)*7=245 ticks (for 3-week-games)? If not, the wait times will be evaluated to make sure no player stalled the game.
  • Is there a clear leader in stars?
  • Otherwise all other stats will be evaluated to determine 0 to 4 points for a player.

While points are the primary focus, Buchholz scores, number of wins and rank will be deployed to determine a definite ranking of all participating players after each round.

Best regards
Trucriot

Pinging players from other recent tournaments or who have expressed interest in future ranked 1v1s:
@spymort - @Lex - @Bio-M6 - @drgert - @MalcolmReynolds - @BattleBorn - @Kir - @Necria - @Nat20 - @AliKebab - @HULK - @Chumbles - @50game - @nick.muzzio - @Bruce - @BOssHogg - @SuperDave

1 Like

Sign me up!

1 Like

Please sign me up!

1 Like

Sure,i could go for some aerial fondue. Sign me up.

2 Likes

Please sign me up :grin:

I’m in

1 Like

Sign me up too please!

1 Like

Yes sir. :raised_hand:

1 Like

Count me in!

1 Like

How often do you host these Flying Swiss tournaments?

1 Like

I’m down for this again!

How often do you host these Flying Swiss tournaments?

Trucriot has hosted one on the 10/21, 2/22, and now 6/22, so the track record seems every four months.

1 Like

Im in!

1 Like

Yes @spymort, I’m starting Flying Swiss tournaments in February, June and October as long as I still have time to run them (may become difficult soon). 4 months should give ample time for an FS to fully wrap up before another one starts.

1 Like

Ah, I might sit this one out and try my first FS in the october one.

1 Like

Yeah sign me up as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m in please!

1 Like

Put me in coach!

1 Like

Thanks for the sign-ups so far. One day left until sign-ups close. At least 4 months (or possibly much longer) until the next Flying Swiss starts afterwards, anyone undecided should keep that in mind :wink:

1 Like

Almost missed this, sign me up.

1 Like