Flying Swiss 1v1 Tournament [FS 10/2021]

Great participation, the tournament is already full for this time!

Here’s the seeded match-ups for Round 1 (in brackets the preliminary Top28 ranks for T-Week 100):

1. @FinrodFelagund [4] vs. @Sneferu
  2. @Vernitrax [25] vs. @gaz123
  3. @Macomber [14] vs. @Kaine
  4. @kinghuang [18] vs. @puffin
  5. @plug [6] vs. @Kwhwwymwn
  6. @Gabrio [23] vs. @HabitableFiction
  7. @Dr_Gaming [10] vs. @iippabella
  8. @DarkDragonwing [21] vs. @SUP

Use the according link I provided for your game in @Dysp’s tournament tracking tool - press the hyperlink symbol to the right of the names:
https://np2stats.dysp.info/tournament.php?tournament=73

Password is 1vs1 - please join your game within 72 hours. Also be mindful to try and submit at least twice per day so we can get as many clear results by November 10 as possible. The next round will start then.

In alignment to the tournament rules in the OP, I decided to adjust the in-game win condition to 60% of stars.

Good luck and have fun everyone!

1 Like

GG to @iippabella ,we managed to wrap our game up quite quickly. For me the settings definitely feel more fast paced compared to the usual 1v1s with the increased starting stars,plentiful resources and only 60% needed for the win. Rare warp gates sadly didn’t have the chance to affect anything since the only one that spawned seemed to be in the far corner. I was a bit worried at the end there with me being 1 star short of victory but unsure whether I can take more stars than I’d lose next turn. Looking forward to the rest of the tournament.

Congrats on the speedy win and thanks for the feedback! Very nice that you two submitted so much and quickly. Sounds like the settings delivered what I hoped for in your game. Just the very rare warp gate is a bit of a concern, though common might just be a little too much. Curious to hear other experiences in regards to warp gates of these maps.

I played a round in the LLL 1vs1 with common warp gates and they were fun there. But I agree that with everything else in these setting common would be pushing it.

@puffin and I also finished our game earlier today. The 28/7 style settings definitely move things along!

@puffin kept a science lead throughout the game. But, I was able to succeed with brute force industry. The rare warp gates came in useful positions. I built two to connect with the random ones, which provided a couple paths to the opposing stars.

I managed to take the victory against @Kwhwwymwn in game 5 - these settings are fun, and I like the Swiss style of tournament. It could even work with several league divisions of 16 players, and after each tournament you get two ‘promotions’ up a division (the players who won all three games), and two ‘demotions’ for folks who lost three games. The top division would have the final 1v1 show-down for the Grand Title instead of promotion, like you’ve planned for this iteration @Trucriot.

Just an idea, if we get lots of interest and say 32 or even 48 participants.

In my game gates made a fun early invasion on both sides, both me and @gaz123 attacked on one side at the same time, after that we both destroyed each other’s gates, it was hilarious.

Yes, it was brilliant! @Vernitrax and I are having a very good game and it could go either way at the moment. On the whole I like the idea of random gates as it adds an extra dimension to the game which allows different tactics than normal.

1 Like

@Sneferu and I concluded our game.

I was able to gain an early advantage by spreading my fleets on the flanks through early hyper research and securing some planets on his side of the map.
I was lucky to predict a few of his subsequent moves trying to regain control. This allowed me to push my lead and eventually snowball the win.

GG and I am looking forward to the next round. The settings are really quite interesting and in my opinion allow for even more early game strategy.

Well played @FinrodFelagund. Your summation of our game is very polite. :grin:

I was overwhelmed. You managed to take Alhecca early on with an attack I honestly didn’t see coming. Nothing on the scanners then 6hrs later it was gone. It disrupted my supply line of ships and the rest is history. You have taught me a valuable lesson. :pray: My warp gated stars need to be further back. :roll_eyes:

I too enjoyed the settings. Look forward to future games like this.

Awesome to read that y’all seem to enjoy these tournament settings. Half the games have concluded already and the rest are well on their way. If all games finish earlier than the deadline, we can start the second round earlier as well.

Thanks for the suggestions! The issue with a “real” league system is the need for nearly all players to consistently sign up again. Don’t want to force anyone either to join the tournament if they don’t have time to submit consistently. I’d probably just take the latest rankings to split the groups if need be.

If this tournament is a success in the end, I plan on doing the next one with four rounds for everyone (14 days each) and opening up the player limit. If there’s more than 24 sign-ups, I’ll take up your suggestion and split it into groups :slight_smile:

1 Like

In game 6 @HabitableFiction has 72 stars, but the game shows as not yet finished… Is that a bug? :stuck_out_tongue: I mean 71 should be a win right? :smiley:

They need 76 stars to win that game - randomly, there’s more stars in their galaxy than in yours :wink:

Oh I see :slight_smile:

And our game with @gaz123 just ended, at the beginning we had pretty fun invasion on both sides with random warps, from then it was slow contest of building a lead, I was just slightly ahead for most time in ships, but economy ad science was pretty even with one of us or another always slightly ahead, we both made few small invasions in between, but nothing big.

Finally, I made successful attack, it was defended shortly after, but It broke the status quo and I was able to push my lead in neighbouring stars, then another invasion and it was too much, I were able to snowball it to victory :slight_smile:

Really close and intense game, lots of suspense and tactical moves, I loved it, well played @gaz123 thank you once again for this game and for nice talk in chat, good luck in other galaxies, I hope I will meet you again :slight_smile:

small note, it was 294 tick game, and that makes it 7 turns submitted per day, awesome speed :slight_smile:

Awesome speed, and thanks for the insights!

It looks like @HabitableFiction prevailed over @Gabrio too (any reports from the battlefield?), so now there’s only two games of this round still running.

Yes we had a really great game and well played @Vernitrax, especially as this was your first 1vs1 game!

2nd* but still thank you :slight_smile: