Inspired by the thread on map balance, I thought we should have a place to discuss how difficult maps should be. I know a couple people’s opinions, but I think it would be valuable to hear from others about how hard they think the game should be.
To kick things off, here are my thoughts.
Right now I think most maps are too easy overall. In my view, an ideal map would have these characteristics:
- For new players:
- Somewhat challenging–enough to be engaging!–on Normal.
- Difficult on Hard, especially without a veteran in the group to help out. Definite chance of failure.
- Downright impossible on Nightmare.
- For veteran players:
- Interesting on Normal (primarily as a playground to try new strategies, etc).
- Challenging on Hard, at least for the first couple days. High chance of victory.
- Overwhelming on Nightmare, but conceivably winnable if everything goes very well. Very low chance of victory.
This curve makes each difficulty compelling, no matter the experience/skill levels of the players involved. Beating a Hard MP scenario for the first time should feel like a real accomplishment. Similarly, any time you can beat a Nightmare map, it should be cause for celebration!