July/2019 1v1 EPIC Tournament with Mirrored Maps

Everyone starts in the same position and anything can happen.
Rest assured @Gruffler22 that we are ALL cheering for 'ya to take down @SuperDave! :wink:

@HULK surely you’re the reigning champ… you beat me in the final.

@Karmadrome ---- that’s what I say too! I haven’t won this kind of tournament for like 10 months or so. I then took a break from NP for 5-6 months. The result is I’m rusty at this 1v1 format. I’m only good now at teaming up with @HULK and getting him to do crazy things :wink: My plan is potentially to lose to @Gruffler22 so I don’t have to face HULK next round and instead drop down into the “come-back-kid” bracket where I can get my strategy legs strengthened again so I will ready later. (By saying this now I can always claim later—if I lose my current game—that I’m just following my pre-arranged plan!)

Agreed (and I like your “plan” :wink:)
@HULK stop hiding, you are the reigning champ, so there!
Everyone’s out to get ya.

@HULK Why 6 tick jumps and not 8 tick?

@Ralx…the format started with 8 hour jumps but there were too many big surprise moves made and the more aggressive offensive players were rewarded too much. Not everyone plays that way. To balance it out for more conservative players, the format got adjusted to 6 hours which makes play a bit more defensive in nature. The idea is it gives an opportunity for different styles to win.

ex. Manufacturing research used to be normal level (vs expensive now). The problem then became that certain players would go super heavy on industry and dominate since weapons is fixed. By making it more expensive it balances it out again. It forces you to go for Terra, HYP, Scanning & build up your economy for warp gates.

@Karmadrome : While I’ve won my share of 1v1 tournaments, I’m pretty sure @SuperDave has won everytime he has played except once. He definitely has a lifetime lead over me!

LOL on is strategy to drop down into the loser’s bracket … I might be joining 'ya as I can tell already that it’s going to be a fiercely contested game with @Ralx

@Ralx : Ditto what @SuperDave said about the parameters - they’ve had quite a bit of tuning as the goal is to allow different approaches to win plus minimize luck (ex: mirrored maps, locked experimentation). Another example is LOCKED weapons … since wayyyyyy too many NP games end up being a weapons-fest … so that becomes the predominant strategy.

Always open for suggestions on how to improve playability.

@HULK so I’ve gone back as far as I can be bothered and the previous results are:

May 19 - Hulk
Jan 19 - Hulk
Oct 18 - Hulk
Aug 18 - Karmadrome
Jun 18 - Hulk/SuperDave draw
May 18 - AnnanFay

Hmmm… :wink:

Wellll … I can’t argue with that data analysis … although I just checked a bit further back and @SuperDave “kicked my big fat hairy green a** again!” … and I assure you that in our various 1v1’s, he has won the majority.

I can definitely agree that @SuperDave is a formidable opponent.

Things might not be going well for the home team in universe 4681909383987200… maybe? I thought I was doing well out the gate, but I have this feeling…

DID YOU SPIKE MY LONG ISLAND TEA, @HULK?

Just bringing on the HULK SMASH! :wink:

Gruffler and I finished up our game. He did well for his first game and should give a strong challenge in his next one! As for me, I’ll advance on and try and take down the BIG GREEN GUY for the rest of us in this tournament.

Thanks for reporting the results and I have updated the first post. That’s a tough first round draw @Gruffler22 … hopefully you aren’t discouraged and learned a lot from the GrandMaster. Remember in NP there is always another galaxy.

With the double-elimination format, you can come storming back through the bottom bracket.

While I have a lead on @Ralx in our game, it’s still TBD who will win. Per the brackets, @SuperDave will play the winner while @Gruffler22 will player the loser.

@Gruffler22 I feel your pain, bro. Better to play them early and learn a lot though, am I rite?

Yeah it was a learning experience alright. To SuperDaves massive credit he explained, very patiently, where I went wrong. It was a long list but I feel I learnt from it. We will see…
[Gruffler22 rubs his hands in anticipation]

@Gwimweeper has just conceded. He was probably being a little generous by doing so this early, but i had made a good start and built up a healthy lead. Good luck to @Gwimweeper in the repechage (or whatever it’s called).

Thanks for the update - brackets updated in the first post and as the other games finish and we have pairings, I’ll set those up.

Some really fast play - thanks for keeping the tournament moving along! :wink:

I got the upper hand on @Ralx and he graciously conceded … so I have updated the first post and also posted links to the 2nd round games. @Ralx and @Gruffler22 can start their game (link here) and I’ll square off against @SuperDave … who I only beat about 1 out of 5 times … so I’ll spend a day to get really ANGRY in order to hopefully HULK SMASH! :wink:

@ZeusAlmighty and @HOUSEBOAT_THANGS are even on stars with @ZeusAlmighty having a lead in the stats, especially Economy. Appreciate you guys keeping the game moving along … but please don’t feel rushed to finish.