June/2018 1v1 EPIC Tournament with mirrored maps - a draw

So we’ve had a couple of 1v1 tournaments which have been a blast. The most recent one started with 16 players and it has whittled down to the Final Four - read more here.

Since most of us have been eliminated (including yours truly!), I’d like to see if we can start another one while those guys finish up … although they are happy to join in also. @SuperDave suggested using “brackets will be built by going alphabetical by the 4th letter of the name”, so that’s what I did:

1A: @Mcdarwinn vs. @Bruce - game link - McDarwinn WIN
1B: @SuperDave vs. @Badgerbadgerbadger - game link - SuperDave WIN
2A: @Mcdarwinn vs. @SuperDave - game link - SuperDave WIN

1C: @HULK vs. @Karmadrome - game link - HULK WIN
1D: @Tr0n vs. @Affordable_Desk - game link - Tr0n WIN
2B: @HULK vs. @Tr0n - game link - HULK WIN

**Finals: @SuperDave vs @HULK ** - Both of us got super-busy in RL, so we are going to call it a draw! :wink:

Similar setup as before with the following mods from default params:
Weapons start at Level3 and are LOCKED (whoever gets W4 first has a too-big-of advantage)
Experimentation and Manufacturing are Expensive to Research
EPIC (64 stars/player) Galaxy with Far Distances
HomeStar is 20/20/4 rather than 5/5/1
Starting Cash is $2000 (don’t spend it all at once!)
You start with ONE star that has 50 ships
The Map is MIRRORED … so you each have IDENTICAL starting positions.
Real-time games favor those who are willing to forgo sleep, so the play is the default 8 ticks/jump turn-based.

Since this is an EPIC map, it will take a while to play out … please do NOT sign up if you can’t commit to AT LEAST a move/day … ideally a couple/day to keep things moving along. Note that you are allowed 48 hours to submit which is to take care of the (hopefully very rare) situation where something comes up in RL and you can’t submit in a day. Since it is 1v1, there is no diplomacy (except razzing your opponent!) and with turn-based, if you are the 2nd person to submit (and advance the turn), then please try to make your subsequent moves and hit that SUBMIT button! :wink:

Along those lines, a new time based rule for this tournament is:
One month for any game/round but if everyone else finishes, then you have a week (and at least 2 cycles) to finish. Winner decided by most stars with tiebreaker being most ships.
Update: I wrote this with the intent that games started at the same time - it’s a bit unfair if you are delayed due to an earlier round game taking longer to finish.

Stalling to win by time is lame (in NP and any sport), so please don’t abuse the time limits.
Most of the tournament games finished in 2 weeks, so hopefully we can move along at a similar pace.
I just don’t want people to have to wait around too long and lose interest.

Please reply here if you are interested and once we have a critical mass, I’ll setup a single elimination tournament.

2 Likes

Some GREAT advice from @SuperDave … who won both of the first two 1v1 EPIC galaxies and is a semi-finalist in the most recent tournament - dude is unstoppable! :wink:

Look at the parameters closely. Weapons is fixed, Man & EXP are expensive. Keep those things in mind when strategizing. If you are playing an opponent equal to you, then the game is going to go 7-8 or more cycles for sure - @SuperDave had one game go 19 cycles! As such, plan for the long haul in deciding your approach

Buy lots of carriers to begin the game. You have the money and you can be assured your opponent is going to figure out if he/she can make it to a planet a split moment before you. It is far easier to defend a planet in this game then take it back.

Save your money for more than just the first cycle. You will want more cash than you realize to buy industry on the edge planets of the galaxy. They are harder to defend later (as it takes awhile for a carrier to get from your core over there) so making them strong to support themselves is wise.

There is no right or wrong on the balance of how much industry vs science vs economy you buy. It’s up to you to figure out your own strategy. Obviously ship count is important, but advanced sciences will make a difference late in the game.

Think carefully before submitting. It’s too easy to submit quickly in a 1vs1 game if your opponent is doing the same too. It’s great to move the game along, but bad if you are making mistakes.

On that note, plan on making mistakes anyways. The plus is the format allows you to make up for it.

I will sign up :slight_smile:

I don’t really play other N.P. games much anymore so I can do two at once. I do think we should set up the randomness of how the brackets lay out before everyone joins to make it the most fair…i.e. brackets will be built by going alphabetical by the 4th letter of the name and any ties then go to the 1rst letter, etc…

I am in.

Me too.

I’m in

I’m in.

Oh man, I’ve barely missed signing up for the past couple of these. Super excited now. Kudos to @HULK for setting this all up!!! …and to any who have helped coordinate/administrate as well! :slightly_smiling_face:

IN!!

We are up to 7 players … with 8 being an ideal number … or 16 … so let see if we can get some more signups in the next couple of days and go with 16! :wink:

I’m in

HEY … since we have 8 signed up, I’m going to start a tournament with that … and if we get another 8, I’ll just make it a 2nd half of 16.

Update: Brackets drawn and game links in the first post plus sent PM to everyone.

Looks like everyone has joined except @Karmadrome (who said he’ll do after work) … so I think we are rocking & rolling … hope everyone has fun! :wink:

…and we’re off :grinning:

count me in for next bracket

Id love to join the next bracket. Heres me hoping we get another 6!

Doesn’t look like we’ll reach a critical mass of 8 soon … but @nick.muzzio and @PafuriZA are first in line for the next tourney …

@Karmadrome and I are having quite the battle - I’m ahead in star count and Economy, but that is misleading as he is ahead in the more important Industry and ship count … plus just hit Manu4.

LOL that HULK has just went on another rampage in Dr. Bruce Banner’s Laboratory.
Here’s what the Exp hits have been for me:
1 - 72P - Hyper (OK - that’s helpful)
2 - 72P - Bank (Hey, maybe Dr. Banner learned his lesson from TWO (useless Weapons hits in the last 1v1) … so HEY, lets drop everything and research Experimentation to finish at the Cycle
3 - 144P - Experimentation (GRRR!!!)
4 - 144P - Terra (OK - that’s helpful … but HEY, since we have that 144 point in Exp, lets finish it! :wink:
5 - 216P - Experimentation (Double GRRRR!!!)

I’m sure @nick.muzzio will especially appreciate the “payback” from Experimentation! :wink:

I know my buddy lyle is interested. I bet I can track down a few more.

I’ll play if you bribe me :wink:

FYI that I setup a mini-tournament with Exp at Level 1 and locked.
@PafuriZA vs. @Hulk - game link - HULK WIN
@nick.muzzio vs. @HOUSEBOAT_THANGS - game link - nick.muzzio WIN

Finals is @HULK vs. @nick.muzzio - game link - HULK WIN