This is an idea that my friends and I came up with a while ago.
- Circular galaxy. In the centre of the galaxy, roughly equidistant
from all homeworlds, is the Core.
- On production, whichever player owns the Core scores one point.
- First player to X points is the victor, no other victory conditions.
- Any player can send ships to the Core, which acts like a normal star for the most part, but once a carrier arrives it cannot be issued new orders- once there, it can’t leave.
- When a point is scored, the Core is wiped clean. Anything built there is destroyed, as are all ships and carriers.
I think this would be an interesting variant to the game. You’d have to strike a balance between the normal galactic conquest, and focus on the Core itself- but scoring points could be very expensive, as it leads to the destruction of your ships. Anyone who secures the area around the Core would be able to score points without as much cost, but of course they immediately become the enemy of everyone else in the galaxy. Also, pour too many resources into securing the Core, and you’ll likely lose the fights going on elsewhere and end up outmatched by someone who’s conquered half the galaxy whilst you were busy.
What do you think?