Massed Eldermages

Sometimes, nothing but a nerf will do. I feel this was the case for these couple cards. When 1 cards power is so incredibly out of line with all the other cards then that creates it’s own problem. Now, if you’re not going to nerf you need to consider buffing every other card as a balance, to make them more on par with the over powered cards. This can create a feedback loop of continuously chasing the difficulty while tring to create balance.

I don’t mind being generous with the hero coins at this early stage. You guys are doing some great work helping us find these issues and most people here on the forums are paying customers so I’m very happy to just dish out more coins when requested.

(Soon Penny and I are going to want you guys to help us test the leveled up Righteous and Corrupted cards and you will have to grind up 10 regular cards to make one )

Unfortunately my design philosophy is to try and make a card really good, and only pull it down if its a problem later. Its much better I think than having cards that are a bit crap and trying to make them better latter. Unfortunately it means you are more often nerfing cards rather than boosting them.

Thats a good approach. It lets us know what the outer edges of possible are.

I’ve been tuning a lot of cards up and down this week and not all the changes have come through yet. You’ll soon find that a lot of the mages cost more gold, as they were very cheap compared to the might cards. I’ve also made some powers cost less mana. Some cards will also cost less gold or have more strength.

This is an ongoing process and just because something has gone up/down doesn’t mean that it won’t go back towards what it was. Please keep the feedback coming. I’m trying to make all the cards a bit more balanced in regards to how much they cost and what kind of benefit you get, whether they are might or magic focused. As a result, a number of the Elf and Troll cards will cost a bit more Gold.

Are the changes documented anywhere or do we just need to keep our eyes out (or yet another spreadsheet for me)

I would be very interested to see what you have in mind… especially for elves. I did my own break down for elves in another post -

In looking back on it, I agree I skipped over most of the mage cards - except maybe one or two - but many of them could also use a cost boost; cards like Dark Forest Witch, Elder Mage, and the High Elf especially. Even the Archers could cost a little bit more.

Just to comment on this, it’s entirely possible to get that many mages without spending money, . I have a similar range of cards, and I have not spent a single dollar in this game so far, I just have a lot of free time at the moment :stuck_out_tongue: (I used to be a premium member of the original though, so I got some coins to begin with)

The elder mages got another change so they cost 200 gold instead of 100. The high elves now cost 225 and range is limited to 6. Definitely changes things a lot now.

I’m seeing a lot of gold cost changes to a lot of units/heroes…

Not a fan of the Tangle Mage increase. Its already hard enough to get Trolls around the board.

Frankly though, the 20 mana cost to use their ability (and the fact it can only be used on specific squares) is probably enough barrier to widespread use while still keeping them at 50G. Im on a map now with 10 Tangle Mages deployed, and its not likely I am warping all over – it takes time to get an extra 20 mana I can use for this type of thing (rather than prioritize for damage abilities).

I dont think a gold increase on Tangle Mages was really necessary. Their are useful support units, but not game breaking and certainly need other cards to be useful (effectively making them a 50G + 20M cost increase to other units).

Please reconsider.

It could definitely come down a bit. I will think about the Mana cost too. Jay thought that 50 was way too low for the Troll mages, but maybe somewhere in between 50 and 150 would be better. I’ve done a fairly rapid pass through to bring all the mages up and fix some outlying mana/gold costs across the board.

In the game I’m playing as Trolls at the moment, I cashed in my starting Valour for Mana, as all I really needed was my starting town and then I gathered up Mana wells, continuing to cash Valour for Mana and Gold. It works better now that you actually get Valour when Trogs eat Goblins.

My thought comes down to this; If you spam out a bunch of Tangle Mages – is that unbalanced or game breaking? I dont think so. What offering Tangle Mages at 50G did was give the Trolls a strong niche role to play – they can get to a mana well quickly at the cost of hobbling other options.

On the other hand, offering the Tangle Mafe for 50G does allow the Trolls a bit more options, especially at the early game stage. It allows a players to get one or two out and to grab that mana pool (but only one – since the mana needed to go to another and capture it is usually just under another 25 hours away).

Tangle Mages are fun at 50G. They are cheap and only do one thing really well. So, once they do that one thing, they are bumps on a log. Keeping them at 50G allows a Troll player to get them out there, opens up options in an otherwise very, very slow race (which is painful at times), and doesnt really unbalance things.

1 Like