New Game Idea

Capital gives all ships +1/+1 ,so each strike now has 2hp.

In Blight there are Generals that give all of a race +X Strength and Terrain Masters that give all units fighting is a special terrain +y strength.

You should look at the Blight combat model if you are going to track individual ships with different abilities.

ah yes… forgot it was +1/+1

I created a test app so that we can test some of the various combat calculations. Right now it isn’t wired up, only spent 10 minutes getting the form up and running. I’ll start with @Rosslessness’s formula, then I will try @x_Molotov’s next. There’ll be some sort of switcher to allow us to quickly switch. Feel free to fork and implement. Please be sure to post back on here so we can test some of the ideas out. Thanks

I haven’t the time to read the above, but for interesting reading on combat mechanics Force concentration and Salvo combat model may interest the people here.

There’s also this video I found a while ago if you just want the rough idea: Can you win a war through MATH[S]!?

NOTE: this is not how Triton works, but force concentration is how, for example, Sins of a Solar Empire and Endless Space work.

1 Like

The salvo combat model looks very simple (once you interpret all the algorithmic symbols they use to explain it). Thanks for the links. I might try to implement them first into the combat calculator I made.

So I’ve implemented a few different algorithms including NP’s formula, a force-multiplier model and a salvo combat model. Currently they’re only accounting for a single type of ship like in NP. So no class calculations at this stage. One thing that doesn’t seem to work at the moment is the salvo combat model, maybe I can get some help on figuring out a solution for testing:

• A = fleet A’s number of ships
    • α = fleet A’s offensive power
    • y = fleet A’s defensive power
    • u = fractional amount it takes to destroy on ship in A’s fleet (for now I assumed 1)
  • B = fleet B’s number of ships
    • β = fleet B’s offensive power
    • z = fleet B’s defensive power
    • v = fractional amount it takes to destroy on ship in B’s fleet (for now I assumed 1)

ΔA = -(βB - yA)u, subject to 0 ≤ -ΔA ≤ A
ΔB = -(αA - zB)v, subject to 0 ≤ -ΔB ≤ B

salvo combat model example

Let’s use an example fight to demonstrate:

fleetA = { num: 25, ap: 2, dp: 1 }
fleetB = { num: 18, ap: 1, dp: 2 }

####salvo 1 (original)
ΔA = -(18 * 1 - 25 * 1) = -(18 - 25) = 7
ΔB = -(25 * 2 - 18 * 2) = -(50 - 36) = -14
note - Because there is a positive number for one and a negative number for the other, something is not right. According to this, depending on if you add or subtract the Δval, one will gain ships, the other will lose ships… anyway, let’s assume we add the difference back to the number of ships

“Fleet A lost -7 ships and has 32 remaining. Fleet B lost 14 ships and has 4 ships remaining”

If we utilize an absolute value subtraction method it makes a little bit more sense, but does it address all cases? Let’s see.

####salvo 1 (mod’d)
ΔA = -(18 * 1 - 25 * 1) = -(18 - 25) = 7
ΔB = -(25 * 2 - 18 * 2) = -(50 - 36) = -14
ΔA *= -1 if ΔA > 0
ΔB *= -1 if ΔB > 0

“Fleet A lost 7 ships and has 11 remaining. Fleet B lost 14 ships and has 4 ships remaining”

####salvo 2 (mod’d)
ΔA = -(4 * 1 - 11 * 1) = -(4 - 11) = 3
ΔB = -(11 * 2 - 4 * 2) = -(22 - 8) = -14
ΔA *= -1 if ΔA > 0
ΔB *= -1 if ΔB > 0

“Fleet A lost 3 ships and has 8 remaining. Fleet B lost 14 ships and has -10 ships remaining”

So does this all add up in your minds? Something is a little off. I still need to update the testing calculator and plug these formulas in.

Here is the updated battle calculator. It’s simplified meaning it doesn’t account for the various ship classes I had discussed. It still needs work on the salvo combat model. I think that probably works best with non-integer ap/dp values.