October/2019 1v1 EPIC Tournament with Mirrored Maps

The last 1v1 tournament was in July … so figured time for some more mano-mano carnage!

Similar setup as before with the following mods from default params:
NOTE: What do people think of starting Science at 1 instead of 4 and Ships at 100 instead of 50?
Weapons start at Level3 and are LOCKED (whoever gets W4 first has a too-big-of advantage)
Experimentation is LOCKED at Level1 and Manufacturing is Expensive to Research
Cheap Science (this seems to work well and provide some balance to an Indy-fest)
EPIC (64 stars/player) Galaxy with Far Distances
HomeStar is 20/20/4 rather than 5/5/1
Starting Cash is $2,000 (don’t spend it all at once, but lots of carriers to expand is recommended)
You start with ONE star that has 50 ships
The Map is MIRRORED … so you each have IDENTICAL starting positions.
Real-time games favor those who are willing to forgo sleep, so the play is turn-based SIX ticks/turn … although if Jay enables smaller ticks per this thread, we may try 3 ticks/turn.

Since this is an EPIC map, it will take a while to play out … please do NOT sign up if you can’t commit to AT LEAST a move/day … ideally a couple/day to keep things moving along. Note that you are allowed 48 hours to submit which is to take care of the (hopefully very rare) situation where something comes up in RL and you can’t submit in a day. Since it is 1v1, there is no diplomacy (except razzing your opponent!) and with turn-based, if you are the 2nd person to submit (and advance the turn), then please try to make your subsequent moves and hit that SUBMIT button! :wink:

Note that you do NOT need to be a premium NP player to participate … but if you have a “free” account, you are limited to 2 games at a time … so please don’t sign up for the 1v1 tournament if you can’t keep an open slot. Or better yet, consider signing up for premium and toss Jay a few bucks for a great game! :wink:

Hopefully we can keep things moving along so people aren’t delayed, but (assuming players start at about the same time), lets try to keep it to one month for any game/round but if everyone else finishes, then you have a week (and at least 2 cycles) to finish. Winner decided by most stars with tiebreaker being most ships. Stalling to win by time is lame (in NP and any sport), so please don’t abuse the time limits. Most of the tournament games finished in 2 weeks, so hopefully we can move along at a similar pace. I just don’t want people to have to wait around too long and lose interest.

If “something” comes up, the Tournament Director (that would be the Jolly Green Giant aka the Rule-Meister!) will attempt to make the fairest decision that benefits the most people. Sorry for all the fine-print legalese!

Please reply here in this thread if you’d like to join in on the carnage (and can commit to keep the games moving along) and I’ll setup the tournament!

Signed up: @HULK - @Gruffler22 - @Gwimweeper - @bythejatz - @gaz123 - @HOUSEBOAT_THANGS

Per thread, we’ll do two round-robin brackets of 3 … and then the respective winners will face off for the championship. Sorting alphabetically, that means we have.
Bracket #1: @bythejatz (2-0) - @gaz123 (1-1) - @Gruffler22 (0-2)
Game 1A: @bythejatz vs @gaz123 - game link - bythejatz WIN
Game 1B: @bythejatz vs @Gruffler22 - game link - bythejatz WIN
Game 1C: @gaz123 vs @Gruffler22 - game link - gaz123 WIN

Bracket #2: @HULK (2-0) - @Gwimweeper (1-1) - @HOUSEBOAT_THANGS (0-2)
Game 2A: @Gwimweeper vs @HOUSEBOAT_THANGS - game link - Gwimweeper WIN
Game 2B: @Gwimweeper vs @HULK - game link - HULK WIN
Game 2C: @HOUSEBOAT_THANGS vs @HULK - game link - HULK WIN

Bracket Championship: @bythejatz vs @HULK - game link - HULK WIN

Yes Yes Yes!
Sign me up!
But please don’t make me face SuperDave first again. :wink:

You are in luck @Gruffler22… I can offer to try and play the winner, but I can’t do the tournament. I’m having some health issues and using my computer/mouse too much is a problem at the moment. The plus to this is it will give the tournament participants a chance to build some momentum before they have to have to slam into my brick wall :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for organising and sign me up, please.

Sorry to here that SuperDave. I was joking obviously. While you did stuff me you did it with style obviously! :hugs:

Sure, count me in. Thanks

I’m going to give this one a miss. Lots going on IRL, so I’m trying to keep my NP activity low, at least for a while. Hope you all have a good tourney and I’m looking forward to hearing about some intense battles!

So we only have 4 people signed up … should give it a few more days … or go with that … and if so, maybe a round-robin tournament?

So no responses for a few days … so what 'ya think @Gruffler22 - @Gwimweeper - @bythejatz about doing a round-robin tournament among the 4 of us?

And as mentioned, lets try starting Science at 1 instead of 4 and Ships at 100 instead of 50

Sounds good to me. If I understand a round robin, everyone plays everyone else, then if there are any late arrivals we can still fit them in. :sunglasses:

Count me in as well!

1 Like

Sounds good to me.

Just pimped the tourney in the games I was in to see if we have any last minute entries. After all it was you Hulk who in doing that last tourney inspired me to play! :wink:

1 Like

okie dokes, sounds good

Added @gaz123 to the list … so we are up to 5 … will give it another day or so to see if more emerge from the galactic edges …

ok ok mark me dowwwwwn

OK … so with six of us, I’m thinking we’ll do two round-robin brackets of 3 … and then the respective winners will face off for the championship - does that sound good to you guys @Gruffler22 - @Gwimweeper - @bythejatz - @gaz123 - @HOUSEBOAT_THANGS

Perfect.

Ok by me :+1:t2: