Organizing a Team game

BTW, I’m pretty sure several of you are in the current 5x3 team game … and I might be up for round #2.

Be nice if Jay could implement some of those changes before we start though.

I’ll start compiling a list tomorrow. I have a couple full teams that want to join together, then several solo players to group up. Right now I think my rough count is 16, possibly 17. We will need multiples of three to make it work. I’m going to start playing with map design based on 18 players. and see what the new custom maps does with a 24 player game with only 18 starts. It would be great if we could get enough for 8 solid teams.

Edit: yeah, so it won’t allow a custom map without starts for everyone. This could be easily solved for our purposes if I design a map layout with a few intentional AI to start the game. Maybe teams start on arms, and the AI hold the center…

1 Like

BTW, curious why you say “multiples of three to make it work”

I wonder about a 4x4 game (maybe NOT have them placed together) … or conversely, teams of 2 (starting back-to-back) would be interesting.

Just thinking out loud.

I had thought of that Hulk, but as Jay currently has only the top three getting any rank, I figured everyone would want at least something when it came to rank. I had considered teams of 4, but pairs starting across from each other. that way everyone would be in battle right away. Instead I’m going to spend some time playing with the map design to make it interesting.

Until Jay gets around to implementing a secondary coordinate system for place holder stars, we may have to go with AIs for a few locations. I’m fine with that, it will delay direct conflict between teams while dealing with the AIs and give an interesting shape to the map.

I’d love to join this if a place is still available?

I haven’t done a team game since Jay was setting up alliances. Needless to say our tactics that day were not ideal.

I’m really selling myself here.

Meant to say this earlier, but a 6/12 turn game seems to be the sweet spot - enough time to chit-chat and compare notes with your teammates, plus usually enough time for RL (you can even get a colonoscopy in between turns (as I’m doing today!), but also moves the game along.

Also lines up well with the research/intel charts.

Yes Rosslessness, I’ve got you down.

Everyone, give me a day, and I’ll start posting a group list of teams. If you see someone listed above that you really want to be on a team with, please let me know.

Thanks

Hulk, the game timeout of 12h is normally fine, but when some people intentionally hold off submitting their turn until 11h 55m it makes the game painfully slow. Because of that Brian suggested a slow realtime game because it would be faster than waiting on somebody being unsportsmanlike. I think a turn based game with a faster timeout is better. Sometimes you may miss a turn due to RL but you just set up your carrier orders in advance to compensate.

If Jay can add a 10h timeout then the production cycle will vary throughout the game. Giving international players all equal chance to have production at convenient times for them.

I have played many 6/12h turn games and often a few turns can be completed a day. Sometimes it’s faster than real time. If people take their turn as early as they can and the last player takes their turn then the first turn in the new cycle, things tick along nicely.

I hope your colonoscopy was not from playing Triton, Hulk!

Andy: Nah, I’m just an old fart who turned 50 … so a rite-of-passage.
Clean bill of health … so I can continue to try to conquer the galaxies! :wink:

Infin8eye: I hear 'ya on the slowdown … as we both know and I was outspoken about it. But I gotta respect if RL comes up for people … and much prefer the turn-based format … which lends itself to more strategzy’ing I think. Plus even a 1/2x realtime game “requires” more monitoring than a turn-based game. I don’t think 10 versus 12 hours makes really that much difference in terms of getting the game done quicker, but those extra 2 hours are kinda nice to have the occasional times you might need 'em.

Note that a 6/12 game (in the slowest case) is basically running at 1/2 time.

2 Likes

I am used to playing 6/12 games where players are aiming for as close to real time as possible. Once it passes the 6h mark we start messaging each other to take the turn ASAP.

Okay, so forming teams. If we can get 2 more players, we can have 6 teams of 3, and use 6 AI to create a good galaxy shape map (the game currently allows for 16 or 24 players. I vote for using the 24, and having the AI take the center of the map, and form clusters around the outside. The AI will star off behind, as we force the game to start, and they go AI after 3 Turns/48 Ticks depending on how we go. I’ll be playing with star arrangements tonight.

Below are the three full teams, and individual players. I’ll let the individual players have a shot at first come, first pick. We also need to recruit 2 more, though I’ll work on that. If you know someone you want to be on your team, go get them and report back.

Brian, Infin8eye, Penitent Tangent

JonBoy, Itsmarty, DiscoJew

LDG, TomKat, Maladoni

MattS

Myk

Sekoms

lookupAndy

Vitezslav Ferko - from G+ community

Hulk

Rosslessness

Other than the AI, custom map, and some House Rules, I was thinking we would just do some vanilla settings for this:

66% of stars (This will force a team needs a clear 1-2-3 victory before they can start handing off stars to the biggest player. We can probably agree before we start that when a team hits 75% of all stars, the others concede to end the game.)

Formal Alliances ON - you can only ally with your team, no double crossing your own team, or you will be publicly flogged! There is no time requirement on spending on this.

Cheap Gates, no random

32 Stars per player (there will be ~180 extra due to AIs, so no need to go 48)

Standard Player and Technology Settings

Game Time… I’m tempted to go Real-Slow, because I prefer Real, but want people to be able to sleep, but am flexible. We could ask Jay to add the option for Real-SemiSlow (1 Pay/36h) or add a 10hr Max Wait time, as previously suggested, and explained by infin8eye. Can I get everyone to vote here on their preference?

I prefer real slow too. I’m not sure If I’ve ever played with any of these users, apart from Myk. So someone pick some teams. I’m UK based if that helps people pick teams?

1 Like

I am Vítězslav Ferko and I was mostly playing under nickname Lite Lime. My others are Orange, Artificial Intelligence or Qwerty. Just in case if anyone recognizes me and wants to play with me ^^

UTC+2 here

Slow as possible please! Otherwise looks good.

1 Like

You can count me in too. My “true” name is Rubberband. Also been playing as Mutant Goo, Mechanical Empire, I am Robot and others.

I’m UTC and I would prefer Real-Slow too.

As mentioned, a strong preference to turn-based … again, I think 6/12 is the sweet spot.

I’d recommend “close” stars and plentiful resources) with starting cash of at least $1,500. Would make weapons research at least expensive (maybe crazy expensive) and maybe Manu expensive too - those techs dominate too much.

Any word from Jay on implementing some of the team rules? Be nice not to to have some of the BS that happened in the current team game.

I’m in the US and might have a 2nd player to join me - it certainly is easier to coordinate if somewhat similar timezones.

Yeah, I would prefer 6/12 turn based over a super slow game, too. But then again, I’ve never played a super slow game

I’d prefer turn based if we are voting :slight_smile:

FYI; I will play on Hulk’s Team