Sharing external links in game chat?

Is there any rule against sharing external links in chat? Specifically, a link to a screenshot of your DMs with another player? I can’t find any rule against it, but wanted to be sure.

There is no rule against it, but it is generally discouraged within the community.

it is generally discouraged within the community.

Good to know, thank you! I can see how that would take some of the fun out of the game.

I wouldn’t say link sharing is discouraged.

Sharing links to screenshots of scans etc to your allies is very common. Likewise to things like np2stats

A screenshot of DMs is definitely less common, and I’ve usually only seen that when some weird stuff is going down and accusations are flying in every direction.

1 Like

I guess I was specifically referring to screenshots of DMs, since that was what was highlighted in the OP. But yeah, agree with Kaine - links to things that help you plan strategically are fine, but I’ll reaffirm try to avoid screenshots/links of DMs.

One of the features I was debating adding to Neptune’s Pride Agent is the ability to forge content – meaning for example to be able to make the game display a DM that doesn’t really exist, or to modify map properties and take a screenshot of that.

I don’t personally ever use lies as part of my strategy but feel that being able to lie to others is a key part of the game and the current common practice of sharing screenshots makes it too difficult to do so. The mere knowledge that a tool is out there that would let you forge content seems game changing to me.

If such a thing existed, would that change one’s opinion for the OP? Would people want that to exist?

Osric

The only time I’ve seen someone forge content it made most of the game rage quit. I think there’s likely to not be much appetite for that :wink:

I feel that being able to lie to others is a key part of the game and the current common practice of sharing screenshots makes it too difficult to do so.

I’m new to the game but I agree with this.

The only time I’ve seen someone forge content it made most of the game rage quit.

They sound like the people who claim I “ruined” a CTF game by putting down decoy markings. The rules said the flag had to be marked; not my fault you spent an hour searching an empty patch of dirt for a flag that obviously wasn’t there because it didn’t occur to you that there was no rule against fake markings :stuck_out_tongue:

People lie and mislead all the time in the game without resorting to sharing forged screenshots so it’s not really needed to have that “feature” ready to hand.

I think the main reason it lead to such a strong reaction is you have to consider the meta-game as well as the specific games. Over time, reputation matters a lot as you learn who to trust and who is only worth eating with friends. In the case I’m thinking of it was the perceived attack on reputation that lead to such a strong reaction.

This goes both ways as well. Get a reputation for sharing forged content, people won’t trust you and you’ll find it harder to make strong alliances.

To my knowledge, there’s nothing against the rules in doing so, but the general culture of the game has treated this as a red line not to cross where I’ve seen it in the past.

Oh yeah, I can definitely see that. Like, you could argue that people are supposed to be playing anonymously like the game encourages you to, but if the reality is that people form real friendships across games, and forged screenshots have the potential to ruin those friendships, then that’s definitely not something anybody should want.

i would suggest not trusting a dm screenshot any more then someone telling you what someone else said (so therefore it shouldn’t really be discouraged) as they can be very easily manipulated even without built in features.
E.g.

1 Like

Everyone should beware that links can not be trusted. . .

https://youtu.be/IHQr0HCIN2w 

So then gamer smack talk is allowed.

Just be sure that you do not lose sight of your real absolute reason . . .

https://youtu.be/P2Me_fcU1ZA 

for being here.

Philosopher Sun Tzu said that " All warfare is based on deception ".