Smarter AI

I’m ready to make this live but i’m a bit worried it will demolish new players. It’s not super smart or anything, just persistent.

1 Like

I think that with the new interface people who are new have a good chance to find a way past an AI even if its temporary diplomacy… Its definitely better than having the AI behave as it did previously - it has a challenge to it! If the codec is updated to give people straight up info about how to affect regard - those players who really want to interact with the game should be encouraged by it

I’m enjoying testing the new AI - feels like the game has single player potential. I found a rather amusing bug though:

Carrier with no ships in my test game Neptune's Pride

So, in some of the games I’m playing, I already saw a change in the AI interface with the “likability” of the player. Does that mean that the new AI is up and running in those games? I’m kinda scared of what that may mean for I have like a lot of AI enemies all around… :smiley:

@JayKyburz I cant guarantee yet…but in one of my 64 games which was already ongoing… it sure looks to me like the AI is behaving different. They are aggreasively defending…and im not sure yet, but i think attacking too. This game does show the new AI profile with regard.

Can anyone else confirm the new AI has taken root even in current, already ongoing games? I thought the changes would only take affect for new games…but im thinking this untrue.

The AI in Alpha Alsciaukat the most recently started 64 player game is acting differently, the AFK Frostmourn player now labeled as Ally to me playing Chmmr, so the AI change is live in the game. In another game 6 of 12 positions are being played by AI, are now actively counter invading. It looks to me that these changes are live in all active games currently being played.

THe AI will behave differently in all games, it just won’t attack in existing games.

Thanks for the bug report @PandaBear

@Trucriot please let me know if there is a bug there I need to fix, but I’m fairly certain the AI won’t attack!

@Mr_Bojangles, how come you removed your post. I would like to hear more about what Paradox does.

I thought your suggestion of using the term Friend was good.

Paradox Games is known for using assassins to rub out people who are critical of the quality of their AI game play.

Would love to work / be published by Paradox one day. They make all the most awesome games.

They are an awesome company to work for (attaches silencer to .45), nice benefits (pulls back slide on .45 chambering a round), with a nice work environment (slips into Mr_Bojangles bedroom)…my only complaint is their harsh treatment of people who critical of their AI performance (two shots to the heart and two more to the head) other then that no complaints (leaves Paradox calling card).

No problem - FYI I saw a 2nd case of a carrier with 0 ships in it in the same game.

One question - in a turn based game do the AI make their decisions per tick or per turn? So in an 8 ticks per turn game, lets say I launched an attack against an AI, would it react on tick 1 (after the turn has been submitted), or after all 8 ticks of that turn (as a real player would)?

1 Like

Seems to react (and receive the negative point modifier) when you enter scan range.

My own observations.

AI still lags behind massively in science research.
AI Wastes many carriers in suicidal attacks. When the attacks are launched, the targeted system already has enough defending ships to repel it.

If your carrier is attacking their star right?

Yep, still heaps of work to go.

should be fixed this morning.

Yes that is correct.

For me, the biggest issue with AI’s is they always fall behind in tech. Although the temptation is to wipe them out, it’s normally better to leave them as a passive flank whilst you focus on the real players. The longer you wait the easier it is to outweapon them.

You think they need to be spending more on science each day?

I agree they don’t spend enough on science… it’s the only way I can compete when playing against 15 of them (otherwise their tech sharing makes it impossible).

1 Like

@Rosslessness Isn’t this the same outcome and way to treat a human player whom you are certain would be passive? While it could still be the answer, I"m not 100% certain AI spending more on science fixes the issue brought up by Ross or not.

Ross’s point is true, but I think the point is not about science, rather about potential threat. We know the AI’s are not going to grow, or get any stronger…and we know that gap in strength between them and us is only going to grow with time. I could make the same argument that they need to spend more on industry because they don’t have as many ships as I do as time goes on…and they need to spend more on econ to keep up with me too LoL. Obviously that isn’t possible, but the reason is because they are passive and won’t grow in strength (or certainly not anywhere near as fast as a good human player).