Submit last, submit twice (was: Force 'next turn' in admin controls)

Or you could have the rule intact otherwise, but maybe it should not be enforced once there are only 4 (or 6) or so players left.

And I know this has come up in a lot of threads, but I wanna take it up here also: The afk rule for turn based games should be changed to 3 days (or xx days), not 3 turns.

Well, in the last game I was in that one guy was still around and submitting at or right before the deadline every turn when we were down to 4 players, so Iā€™d some form of this rule still took effect then.

Is 3 days still reasonable for a 48 hour turn limit game? What about a 6 hour turn limit? Iā€™m really not sure, Iā€™m must bringing it up.

@HULK Iā€™d rather see a shorter limit than that (perhaps 1/4 the normal limit?), as really one just needs long enough to consider a turn, but if itā€™s to hard to mitigate the AFK issue otherwise 1/2 is still a big improvement.

The AFK counter could be changed as Dysp suggested to actual days for turn based games. Also, his suggestion that it auto submit for players that didnā€™t submit at all is good too. Just donā€™t have that Forced submission reset the AFK counter for the player.

Another method to consider is that the submit button gets automatically entered for a player if they are last, but have also logged in during the current turn. That way, the players that come in and message, build or route ships get counted as having submitted only after the others have all submitted their turns as well.

I suggest not using a fraction of the turn time, but fix in 2 hours. If someone submits a turn last he probably will be able to submit another one in less than 2 hours. And if he wonā€™t, itā€™s not a deadline, he may have the luck to be in time before everyone else submits. Also, this feature will only be a real problem if this player does that every time. It will only affect the compulsive delayers, forcing them to consider when is a good time to intentionally delay the turn.

And I think that counting turns instead of time for kicking some player in turn-based games make much more sense. To miss 3 turns in a row is a big deal in most games, but would be good if this number could be customizable.

Sorry to drag up an old post - but Iā€™d be really keen to see a ā€œsubmit last, submit twiceā€ feature implemented (or some iteration of it). Any more progress on this one?

As someone who plays turn-based games pretty often it would be a great thing to help keep these games moving.

I havenā€™t read all the suggestions, but on face value I think this is a bad idea.

I play turn-based games so I can go about my daily life, work, sleep, travel, and still have an appointed time to seriously consider what Iā€™m going to do next in the game.

Somebody has to be last, and I donā€™t think itā€™s fair to punish them, because they might not be slowing down the game on purpose.

Even if they are, we all have the choice to join these games, and if youā€™re going to join a turn-based game the turn limit should be a limit you can live with.

I worry about trying to punish people purposefully delaying their turns (which they have a right to do) turning in to punishing people who happen to go last for who knows what reason.

1 Like

Also, you donā€™t want to screw players out of spending their production income just because they happened to be last.

If you sign yourself up to a 12 hour turn limit, expect it to take 12 hours.

Somebody might do one turn last, then not do theirs immediately because they have real-life stuff to do, a ton of stuff to think about, a ton of carrier loops to change, or a ton of battle math to do (or all four!)

You simply canā€™t assume that just because somebody is messaging that theyā€™re not submitting their turn because they are being a jerk.

This is why there are turn limits. I think it would be really stupid to add some ridiculous mechanism to add a turn limit to your turn limits.

Valid arguments Dakota, but there are players that have specifically stated they donā€™t submit turns on purpose, because they like the time frame the turns are due on, and screw everyone else. It is specifically a problem when turns are shorter, and people might be asleep during an entire turn (anything 8h and under) or with really long games where some players may have to quit if the game takes more than a couple months.

My answer to the Jerks (and they do play this game, the first Team game had one of them holding the game specifically at the full 12h limit) is to make the turn time an odd number. 11h rather than 12h. It forces the turn times to shift so one player canā€™t hold it at the time of his or her choice.

As for punishing people, I agree you donā€™t want a system that punishes people indiscriminately, but people need to be considerate to the other players as well. I feel if someone is taking the time to read and respond to many different messages, they should also be making their moves and submitting their turns.

The current system counts only missed turns until you submit the next turn. I would suggest a secondary counter, that does not reset, and has a higher count. That way, players that routinely skip turns would have a maximum limit.

After all, lots of games have a Delay of Game penalty. If you donā€™t have time to play, you probably shouldnā€™t have joined.

1 Like

Just to play devilā€™s advocate: I do many things from my phone, but after hyperspace and scanning gets too large and you have to zoom out, it becomes impossible to do your turn on mobile. Think, read, and respond to complicated messages? Sure, I can do that, but lots of time I just have to wait until I get back to my computer to actually do my turn.

Anyway, I do hate it when Iā€™m doing well and somebody else is holding the game up, but Iā€™m not sure thereā€™s a mechanic that could fairly punish these people, because you never know.

I agree with wanting odd turn limits to roll the time around the globe, so to enforce that what if there was a turn-based game mode where you didnā€™t submit? The turns would always go at the appointed time and everybody would have the whole time to do what they wanted or come back and make changes. AFK would have to change to be based on whether youā€™d actually made any moves in the last several turns, but that might be a good change for turn-based games anyway.

Making production every 11h so it rotates in a real time game could be nice too.

1 Like

I have actually been seriously considering a shifting production period that would come online in the next major update (with the new techs and the team game mechanics.)

I thought that instead of making it earlier I might push it back later, the question is how much.

I was thinking 30 hours, (24 + 6) or 32 hours (24 + 8). In 30 hours there are 4 different times through the game for production in a game, in 32 there are only 3 different times a production might occur.

I might make this a top level post and gather peoples thoughts.

1 Like

30 sounds better over 32, mainly because the one extra time it gives. Although 31 would give all the 24 possible production times. But the best possible choice would be to make it totally configurable.

I would also like to see this for the turn based games. Currently there is for example no way to configure 6 hours jumps with 6 hour limit and 2 productions per day.