Suggestions for clarifying help

Hi, new player here. I have 2 small changes to the help that I think would help clarify situations:

1. “When players have more than one carrier in combat, damage is applied roughly evenly to each carrier involved.”
    I think evenly should be changed to proportionally. As an example: you have 2 fleets with 100 and 10 ships attack a star and receive 55 damage. If it was applied “evenly” each would receive 27-28 damage, so 1 fleet would be destroyed. Instead it’s applied proportionally - the larger fleet gets 50 damage and the smaller fleet gets 5 damage. Giving this example would also help.

2. “If you are more advanced in a Technology than an ally you can send them enough information to unlock a new level.”
    I think that “a new level” is ambiguous, I think it’d be clearer to say “their next level”. Again giving an example that if you have level 3 and they have level 1, you can only immediately send them level 2.

Really sensible changes, I reckon.

Also with multi-fleet battles, which way is the damage rounded? Does the largest fleet take the “extra” damage?

Say you have 6 fleets - 100 + 5x10, for a total of 150 ships. You win the battle with 10 ships left. Proportionally you should be left with 6.66 + 5x0.66 ships. After rounding are you left with 1 fleet of 10, or 6 fleets with 5 + 5x1?

So one empire begins combat with 6 fleets of 150 ships = 100+10+10+10+10+10, and ends with 10 ships.
My guesstimate is that it will end with 4 fleets of 10 ships = 7+1+1+1.

But I am not absolutely sure.
It could also end with 6 fleets of 10 ships = 5+1+1+1+1+1.

Another possibility is that it could end with 5 fleets of 10 ships = 6+1+1+1+1.

Try reading this thread.

I don’t mess with the math at all. I just use the calculator in game, or one of the online tools like this:

That calculator is often wrong in the edge cases, which is what I’m asking about. For example for calculating time to visibility it does “d -= 0.33”, while the real game does “/3”. The answer it gives will be off-by-1 for any distance close to a multiple of 1/3.

That thread says “Jay’s code continues loss distributions over each fleet until each one of all 48 ships are killed.”

I’m wondering what the details of that loss distribution is :slight_smile:

Hmm interesting.That makes sense. I mostly stick to the calculator in game, but figured an online option could be helpful for some people

Yeah… not sure on the loss distribution either. I’d just send an extra ship or two to be safe lol

I just read through the code that Jay posted in the other thread. I am not a Python expert.

So one empire begins combat with 6 carriers of 150 ships = 100+10+10+10+10+10, suffers 140 damage, and ends with 10 ships.

Jay’s code sorts the garrison & carriers from largest fleet to smallest.
100 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 10

Every fleet suffers 93.3 % damage ( = 140/150 ) rounded down.
7 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1

but there are still 2 damage not yet allocated, so each fleet receives 1 damage until finished.
6 + 0 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1

Which means that one fleet is lost.

2 Likes