The Asylum

I took it. I wanted a challenge.

Jay, you’ve totally screwed me.

I promise never to ask you to make a game again.

FYI FWIW that I’m in the same game and confirm what Ross writes above - there definitely is some sort of bug in the ruler tool - it says 4.0/12 hours for me too.

I actually did 10 round-trips between those two stars and got 80.0 LY.

This is because of the way computers do math. The X,Y positions of all the stars in a hex grid orientation require irrational numbers with an infinite number of digits, for which the implemented binary representation used will forever be inadequate. So the ruler reports 4.0 light years distance, but because of rounding, may actually be either 3.999999999 or 4.00000001 . These minuscule ( practically insignificant but highly impactful ) differences can mess with your mind when trying to compute times required for warp travel or scanning distances.

The JSON scripts only returns 4 digits of decimal accuracy, so . . . hmm . . . how to solve this problem . . . ?

There is no easy clean PERFECT EXACT solution to this problem. A square grid map might be more mathematically honest, except a hex grid game is more fun than a square grid.

Home stars will earn the worst of these “precision” distance measurement complaints, while the other 16 randomly scattered stars / player would often be less scrutinized or ignored. Those are random, and expected to be messy mathematically.

Maybe instead of a perfect exact solution to this problem, an imperfect solution might be acceptable.

A.
Perhaps home star distances should always be plotted at 7.998 , 11.998 , 15.998 LY distances. These will generate the formerly expected travel times and scan ranges of 8.0 , 12.0 , 16.0 LY . But then players would need to be reminded of this complicated nuance when creating a custom galactic map.

B.
Or possibly a solution would be to make this :

Scan distance = 2.003 + tech level Scanning

Hyperspace Range = 3.003 + tech level HR

C.
maybe the best way is to update the Triton Codex like this :

Scan distance = 2.5 + tech level Scanning

Hyperspace Range = 3.5 + tech level HR

This method will outright prevent the collision of “precision” measuring home star distances vs “precision” measuring distances for HR tech & Scaning tech, and it is easier for players to learn. “Precision” becomes less of an issue.

Travel times may also need adjustment.

Instead of carriers flying at 0.3333333333 LY / tick, they might need to fly at 0.34 LY / tick .

Although carrier speed of 0.35 LY / tick would be easier to learn.

Warp Gates might need adjustment too.

Sorry, I don’t understand what the bug is that Ross is showing. Everything look like it should to me.

edit. oh i see, horizontally you need range 2 but vertically you only need range 1

Range 2 and 3, but yes.

It’s a quirk, I don’t really mind. :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, I think the bug he is showing you relates to SCAN … to his left, you need S3, to his right you need S2.

What’s doubly puzzling is that I asked Pink Square what he could reach (with RANGE) and he could get to Ross … so I’m wondering if some rounding error related to Scan, not Range (?)

Yep, that as well. Hyperspace range 1, scan range 3.

These two images posted by @Rosslessness also show that

infrastructure is readable from the two stars “Red Circle” and “Capella”,
but Aldebaran is beyond scan range ?

The ruler measures stars Aldebaran and Capella at 4.0 LY distance,
but 13 tick flight time ?