The first of the new bosses

Do you think these changes will make the first day too difficult if they’re out at the start of the game?

These things sure will need tuning. The older bosses were quite easy to kind of dodge so we’ll need to watch carefully how much of an impact these guys make.

They should land tomorrow. I missed pushing them out today because I found a few things I wanted to fix and now it’s quite late.

I just pushed out a new release and any Queen of Lies, Master of Coin, or Lich Kings should be automatically deleted to make way for new versions of these bosses.

That just made our Nightmare game easier.

Sorry Mike, there were just to many weird things that could happen If I tried to replace exiting bosses with the new ones. I didnt want to risk breaking your games entirely.

Here are the 3 revised bosses that are in game so far:

New boss changes coming soon:

2 Likes

Woah. These are nasty, and I love them. Good work!

Only concern I have is the Lord of Destruction: 2*Fortification Size isn’t a particularly formidable attack. Also, what counts as an “affected” mortal?

Yeah, I’ve been struggling with the wording there as it is so long and complicated.

It actually attacks each unit with: 2 * fortifications size * population of unit, which I shortened to each “mortal” with 2 * fortifications size. So it would attack an army of Human Swordsmen (50 individuals) in a Human Fortress (fortifications 4) with 2 * 4 * 50 = 400. So I was trying to shorten it to each swordsman would be attacked with 8.

Each mortal affected includes every individual in fortifications in range.

It might just be that we will change it to be something like Fortifications * 100 to be simpler, this just means that smaller/weaker units would get hit harder than larger/stronger units.

Ah, interesting. I like the idea for sure (I’ll like it less when I have to deal with it…). I agree that the wording is really tough though, haha. Not sure what to do about that.

Those look really cool. Way to go!

It occurred to a friend of mine that it’s unclear if multiple Queen of Lies/Lich King/Master of Coin would stack. If they do, it seems like they could quickly render a game unwinnable (three Queens would mean a small Elf town costs 8 Valour, etc). So… hopefully they don’t stack?

The Queen of Lies is especially dangerous since she starts off very strong. The others you could conceivably deal with before they become too nutty, but in a six-player game the Queen can easily have 3-4 thousand strength right when she spawns (as just happened to us in our Nightmare Fountain of Wisdom game).

How about changing it to:
Each mortal unit cowering behind fortifications within 3 leagues will suffer a Strength 2 Fortifications*X Size Attack, where X is the number of mortals in the unit. The Lord of Destruction gains +X strength.*

or:
Each mortal unit cowering behind fortifications within 3 leagues will suffer a Strength 2 Fortifications*X Size Attack, where X is the unit size. The Lord of Destruction gains +X strength.*

The current text for size comparison:
Each mortal cowering behind fortifications within 3 leagues will suffer a strength 2*Fortifications Size Attack. The Lord of Destruction gains +1 strength for every Mortal affected.

It’s a bit longer, but I think it should still fit and it may be a bit clearer.

I think it’s fine, since it’s meant to drive armies away from their fortification bonuses, especially dwarven ones. Also keep in mind that this means you can’t have troops sitting in any fortified settlement near this guy, or they will get hit.
It’s not particulary weak either: Even for a small +2 fortification, thats still a 4 damage AoE attack per soldier. Even against a Troll Spear unit, thats 20% of their own stregnth every 12 hours. Against dwarves in a dwarven fort, i’d be a 12 attack vs a 22 combat strength (including the fortifications bonus), and thats without any losses on the Immortals side.

Yeah I think it’s plenty strong as intended. I just thought it was weak as just 2 x Fort Bonus, rather than 2 x Fort Bonus x Unit Size.

Good rewording thoughts!

Ah, that explains it :slight_smile:
2 x Fort Bonus would have been laughably weak, yeah.

One thing these new bosses do is they make the Assassin much less valuable. As it’s basically a boss-killer, I don’t anticipate it seeing play when the vast majority of bosses have well over 500 Strength. The Assassin might merit a buff alongside these changes, or a rewording altogether, like just “destroy a single unit (or one unit in a stack) in the same location as the Assassin”. Though that might be too strong; I don’t know really what the intended power level is for that card.

maybe “destroy a single unit under X power”? and if all are above 500, make it do a regular 500 strength throw? Or up it’s cost a bit and raise it’s ability power along the same lines?

It would be a bit underwhelming if your 150 gold unit could just one-shot bosses reliably though (assuming they haven’t grown too much).

Thanks for the suggestions @shde2e. I will change it to something along these lines so that it is clear that is based on the population size.

Did the next round of bosses just go live? All the bosses in my games just disappeared.

yep. sorry.

A thought on the Lich King:

The mana restriction coupled with growing stronger via mana usage makes it so the King often hamstrings itself. The expensive mana use makes it so players tend to not want to use mana which keeps the King from growing.

Perhaps like the king’s growth to number of mana pools on the board that are blighted? Maybe something like +40 Power to the Lich King per blighted Mana Pool? That would 1) make protecting mana pools that much more imperative and 2) add some utility to the Pool Priestess .