Upgrading Cards - Choose Your Path!

in my opinion very much this - I keep thinking I would have more fun atm in a single player but I wont get many coins and thus may as well wait til later. I dont think this is good for the health of the game long term. Forced decisions of how to play rarely help games imo.

Just wondering what race would you like to see updated cards for first? We are thinking these will be released one race at a time.

While these cards are still in development, you would also be able to grind them up for a full dust refund.

So, which race first? Which race do you have the most cards for?

For me, the question isn’t so much “which race do I have the most cards for” as it is “for which race do I have the most unnecessary extra copies of cards?” For instance, I’ve got loads of Dragonhelm Knights and Tree Whisperers, but I rarely feel like I have too many of those. On the other hand, I’ve got way more Ironshell Sergeants than I would ever want to put in a deck.

The other thing to consider from an outside perspective is “which race’s cards are likely to have the coolest upgrades?”

So here’s my rough ordering of races, in order of my card-upgrading excitement level from highest to lowest:

• Goblins: The Goblins’ whole thing is having lots of cool synergies and tricks. Who wouldn’t want additional diversity for these? Show me a Corrupted Assassin with a guaranteed kill spell that strips you of all your Valour, or a Righteous Icelord that stuns all Mortal units in a big area but grants them perfect saving throws. There is so much crazy potential here.
  • Trolls: The efficiency of the current Troll cards makes me wicked pumped for what crazy effects the upgraded versions could have. Plus I’ve had really bad luck with Troll drafts, so I have tons of commons and uncommons to grind up already.
  • Humans: The Humans have a pretty broad array of effects, and therefore I think they have a lot of potential, similar to the Goblins.
  • Orcs: Really I just love the Orcs and want to see more cool stuff for them. I think the Scarface Lord and Elder Shaman in particular have a lot of potential to do crazy stuff on their Righteous/Corrupted paths. The only reason they’re this low down is because a lot of their cards just don’t lend themselves that much to unique upgrade paths.
  • Dwarves: Dwarves come in near the bottom of the list mainly because I don’t have a ton of cards available to grind. But I still want to see stuff like Corrupted Blunderbusses with bigger attacks but who also inflict an attack 20% as strong against a random friendly unit in their location.
  • Elves: Elves come in last for two main reasons: first, Elves have probably one of the least grindable card sets. I never draft a new Tree Whisperer and think “oh man I’ll never be able to bring this in a deck”. And second, every upgrade path I can think of for the Elven Heroes feels unbelievably overpowered, and the Elves are beastly enough as it is.

Something I should add is that we are planning to make it so that you can grind any card to make “dust”, which can then be spent on upgrading any card. So you could grind up all your random unwanted cards, to upgrade your favourite card.

Roughly, it might look something like this:

Grind Common = 50 dust
Grind Uncommon = 100 dust
Grind Rare = 300 dust

Upgrade Common = 500 dust
Upgrade Uncommon = 1000 dust
Upgrade Rare = 3000 dust

I was thinking of starting with the Humans, followed by the Trolls. I personally love the Goblins, but I got the feeling that they weren’t the first choice of many people. Maybe an upgraded set of cards would change that though :slight_smile:

I’m definitely keen to hear any ideas that people have. We’re going to need a lot of new powers / variations!

Oh right; that makes sense. For some reason I had it in my head that each race’s cards would only grind into dust for that race, but that would be pretty rough.

If my own experience is any indication, people might not pick them a lot because they don’t seem that good or interesting to play? Stat-wise they seem like an inferior combination of elves and dwarves, so I mostly use them as money-makers. If they were more focused on their unususal hero abilities, they might become a lot more interesting :slight_smile:
As of now their heroes don’t really seem to stand out. They mostly do things that other races can also do, except worse because they’re the weakest race.

Goblins!!!

I love goblins anyway, and as I’ve invested in a more sizable collection I’ve begun to think that they’re incredibly underrated.

The trick to goblins I’m finding is using tons of hero cards and spider pennon, it keeps you from crippling your gold production too much and gives you a great gold/power ratio.

Mad pirate, especially on nightmare maps is a fantastic early game card.

I Would LOVE to see goblins get first crack at righteous / corrupted cards.

However…

I agree with Bwaa that overall I’d rather see specific cards of each race get upgraded rather than 1 race get all the love.

Instead of volunteers for 1 hero coin, could you just potentially upgrade the unit that visited? Like maybe make it 10% chance where you could have the option to have the unit that captures the point become righteous or corrupted.

Maybe have a in game event occur.
“As we entered the village, they were quick to bring us to a small hovel on the outskirts. Inside they claimed to have dug up some strange totem, and it had began to pulse at the approach of the immortals we had slew before arriving. The totem is clearly of some ill purpose, and its destruction would deal a blow to the blight…but what if we could instead use it as our own…”

Spend x dust or 1 hero coin to make your forest dryad into a righteous Smokey the Bear, or corrupt him into Uncle Istvan

1 Like

Nice flavor text. Though settlements are ususally captured by grunts, not heroes, so maybe give them an upgrade “token” or something? Also, having your upgrades rely on the Nuffle the RNG can cause some serious frustrations.

That’s a cool idea @Diaphanous, and something we could possibly do in addition to Volunteers.

1 Like

Idea is awesome. Can’t get away “Dust” association from Endless universe though. (Amplitude studio. I bet most of you definitely know at least Endless Legend.)

I do admit “dust” was just my placeholder (from the endless games) maybe use something like “vitae” or something or other

“Arcane Dust” is the term the use in Hearthstone so we will probably just use a similar terminology.

1 Like

the resource could also be gained in a small amount by burning graveyards or something. “immortal ashes” or “ashes of the fallen”

2 Likes

Hey, I really like the idea of collecting a little dust while burning bodies in greaves!

2 Likes

Ashes would be a better term I think, it would fit better with the gameplay and lore of ‘Blight’.

1 Like

Collecting Ashes sounds good to me.

In the interface you could “burn” cards to make the “Ashes” used to upgrade cards.

2 Likes

Sufficiently creepy.

2 Likes