Xjhdexter Memorial 1v1 Tournament [XJHD 04/2022]

Hello,

inviting you all to a little competition in memory of our fellow player, friend and NP2 forum devotee @xjhdexter.

The prolific map designer was an early proponent of the mirrored maps feature too which is the foundation for the fair and intense tournament settings we have these days. In the past year he also provided a lot of players with many different maps to play friendly 1v1s on and kept tabs on them.

Although mostly quite stoic in his demeanor, I happened upon this excited description of one of his last map creations:

So I thought we’ll give these experimental settings features a shot in the first KO tournament in over a year. To summarize: Normal research for all techs except Experimentation, and a lower starting budget/income that I think will go nicely with the other settings.

Settings

Here are all settings that will deviate from the NP2 default ones in this tournament.

Stars For Victory: 66%
Turn Based: On
Tick to Jump Each Turn: 6 Tick Jumps
Turn Deadline: 48 Hours
Dark Galaxy: Disabled
Stars Per Player: 64 Stars, Epic
Home Star Distance: Far
Random Gates: Common Gates
Starting Stars: 1
Starting Credits: $813 (number of total forum posts created by xjhdexter)
Starting Ships Per Star: 100 Ships
Starting Economy: 20
Starting Industry: 20
Starting Science: 4
Cost Science: Cheap
Cost Experimentation: None
Starting Experimentation: Level0
Starting Weapons: Level4

As for time limits: After 50% of all games in a round have concluded, a countdown of two weeks will begin in which the remaining ones can still wrap up organically. Otherwise I’ll apply the tiebreaker (stats and wait time) to decide who moves on to the next round - please submit regularly as much as possible. Thanks to the settings, stalemates should be avoidable.

Seedings will happen according to the latest world rankings.

Time to give each other some chiropractic adjustments in xjhdexter’s honor! Sign-ups are open for a week, everyone is welcome to join.

Trucriot

1 Like

This is a nice idea. Most people probably don’t know that the current 64p map design was created by him, so the majority of the community benefits from his past enthusiasm even if they never spoke to the guy.

I’d like to join, sign me up.

1 Like

I would also like to sign up. A great initiative for a great player.

1 Like

I’m in :slight_smile:

Great idea @Trucriot - I’m not playing much NP these days, but sign up the Jolly Green Giant.

Sign me up.

I’d be pleased to play, and to honour one of the NP legends.

1 Like

I’ll sign up too. I am sorry to hear of his passing, I mostly knew him through his map creation efforts and always appreciated his detail-oriented posts.

Count me in as well please! Sad to hear of his passing and the tournament is a nice way to honour his memory.

I’d love to take part. Sign me up!

I guess I’ll join too!

Sign me up as well

I’d also like to sign up

Could I ask that the games be named something like “XJHD 1v1” rather than “1v1” in order to make them easier to find in lists of games for those with more than one 1v1 running at a time?

Sign me up.

I’ll join.

Good idea, will do.

Count me in!

Sign me up!

Thanks for the sign-ups, we are at a perfect number of 16 participants. I will now begin the preparations.