Proteus Test Game

Has anybody done the math to work out if its worth actually building new infrastructure, or should I be sending all my money to allies for trade.

So I have 40 Econ now - Banking 9 - $8640 a day
If I spend $2500 I can pick up Banking 10 which will yield $9600 a day ($960 extra)
So the trade will take 2.6 days to pay for itself.

For the saem $2500 I can pick up perhaps 8 new economy. 8924 or $1728 a day.
Only a day and a half return.

err, so for banking to be better than buying economy, I need more total econ, or econ needs to be more expensive at each star.

It would be useful if the Intel charts, instead of ā€œIndustryā€, ā€œeconomyā€ and ā€œscienceā€, plots ā€œships/tickā€, ā€œ$/tickā€ and ā€œresearch points/tickā€. Or, if not ā€œinsteadā€, ā€œin additionā€.

Itā€™d be helpful to determine the real production/incoming of the players, because the multiplier effect of the techs.

About what you said for banking, Jay, I didnā€™t the math, but as the stars infraestructure costs grows a lot, if you donā€™t have lots of stars, I have the impression that is better buying banking. And, if you have lots of stars and too much economy, also is better banking. Maybe it really depend on the caseā€¦ the increasing tech trading cost makes it less attractive at a certain point.

Said another way, 1 new banking level increases your cash by 40/tick. Alternatively You need 40/9=4.44 Econ to increase cash by the same amount. You should pay up to 2500/4.44=562 per Econ before you trade for banking 10. Or 2500/5=500, using whole Econ points

Golly

The same math applies to trading manu and exp vs buying ind and sci. This explains why I did so poorly my first game. I over traded, ie traded way below breakeven, rather than building up my own infrastructure.

Suggests trading should be minimal in those techs, and should be focused on scan, range and weps. Interesting.

Unless you raise the marginal eis costs

The shortcut breakeven formula is:

New level squared * 25 * current level / production units.

I have 57 ind at manu 8. Break even is 9925*8/57 = 284. My cheapest ind is 300. I should trade. Or research. Not buy.

Thanks for keeping me from doing anything productive tonight, Jay!

1 Like

I didnā€™t take research into account, just the options of spending in infraestructure vs buying a tech (trading), and for me it still worths trade.

What I took into account is that my current income is 558 (banking lvl 9, economy 62).

Option 1: buy banking level 10:

1. next banking level cost = $2500
  2. next banking level income = 620 (economy still 62)

Option 2: buy 7 points of economy infraestructure:

1. cheapest 7 points of infrastructure costs $357 * 1 + $400 * 6 = $2757
  2. income after buying such infraestructure = 621 (banking still 9)

So, itā€™s cheaper for me to reach banking lvl 10.

That works only if I have the cash right now. But, if I have $0 now, this is what will goā€¦

1. First tick: earn $558
  • spend $357 in 1 eco, now Iā€™ve $201, and an income of $567
  1. Second tick: earn $567, now Iā€™ve $768
  • spend $400 in 1 eco, now Iā€™ve $368, and an income of $576
  1. Third tick: earn $576, now Iā€™ve $944
  • spend $800 in 2 eco, now Iā€™ve $144, and an income of $594
  1. Fourth tick: earn $594, now Iā€™ve $738
  • spend $400 in 1 eco, now Iā€™ve $338, and an income of $603
  1. Fifth tick: earn $603, now Iā€™ve $938
  • spend $800 in 2 eco, now Iā€™ve $138 and an income of $621

So, after 5 ticks, I have the income and $138 in the hand.
If going for buying tech:

1. First tick: earn $558
  2. Second tick: earn $558, now Iā€™ve $1116
  3. Third tick: earn $558, now Iā€™ve $1674
  4. Fourth tick: earn $558, now Iā€™ve $2232
  5. Fifth tick: earn $558, now Iā€™ve $2790
  • spend $2500 in banking lvl 9, now Iā€™ve $290 and an income of $620

So, after 5 ticks, I have the income and $290 in the hand.

So, now the difference between going for banking ($2500) and infrastructure ($2757) is not $257: it diminished to $290 - $138 = $152.

Sorry if too much numbers and intrincated explanation, when looked at the spreadsheet thought were easier to explain.

tl;dr: It depends, for @wfmcgillicuddy it seems to be better infrastructure now, for me it seems to be better banking.

Right, your break even was 362.9, you were better off trading, even if you had to wait to afford itā€¦ Or you could research it and spend your cash elsewhere.

But if you are away from the game for 4 ticks or so, youā€™ll have a pile of cash to make a decision on when you return. It has become my routine to calculate my break evens for each of eis to inform my decisions. Very cool.

Ok, this is dope extreme.

Peeved I missed out on this the first go around. Did that second game ever get moving?

Er, Iā€™m sure there will be a third shortlyā€¦

1 Like

Here is my response to the epic blar blar thread in game.

Just read this thread. its 9am here.

These great discussions should be on the forum so they wonā€™t be automatically deleted when the game ends.

Here are some random thoughts?:

Being able to find players is a bug in this game mode. Will trt and remove this afternoon after fixing some Blight bugs.

Wormholes will allow us to do intresting things like put players in clusters of 4 or 5 and then have a 20ly jump to the next cluster.

I did like having some randomness from experimentation, I think I would like to add this back in somehow. Perhaps discoveries of tech at new stars, or radom science advances after capturing stars. I think having just a little randomness can create some intresting opportunities or ā€œtwistsā€ in games ā€œemergent storyā€. I donā€™t want the game to be simply how good you are at accounting.

1 Like

Also, now that things are heating up, how do players feel about reseach costs and star infrastructure prices.

Are we getting new techs at a fair rate? Seems a little slow but not too bad.
Infrastructure seems about right to me. Right now I can buy a handful of stuff each time I check in.

Everything seems very balanced to me, but then again Iā€™m getting buckets more cash than anyone else I canā€™t speak for everyone.

Iā€™ve utilized the glitch to find people in lots of games. Itā€™s only useful here because we donā€™t know where people are. However in games with 30-30-4 starting home stars it makes it easy to target homestars and ignore the rest.

I liked the randomness. Right now it is 100% whoā€™s best at crunching numbers and investing the best. (I donā€™t do any math, all instinct). Accounting and allies are the only things that matter in proteus ATM. Even if I am tactically superior to my opponent, all that matters is who makes more ships and tech. I can be an idiot that just throws carriers in blindly but still win fights.

Then again, exp randomness didnā€™t do anything after cycle 3 or 4 anyways.

Also expensive carriers make the skill cap a lot lower on how to manage your ships. Thereā€™s only so many ways to do it with few carriers, but lots and lots of them opened up interesting strategies that were slightly more efficient.

1 Like

Dont mess with this star.

A funny bug when I was working on Weapon skill EXP bonus for this star.

Function is Math.floor(Math.log(exp) * Math.LOG10E)

1 Like

Also gutted to have missed out on this, and would be up for trying this if another game becomes available.

Is experience working? I noticed a star with 1 point.

And I have a carrier with experience! I am swooningā€¦

EDIT: I have several carriers with 3 experience points. Are you just tracking wins, or does it affect combat?

I agree, all is balanced. It takes me 3 ticks to pay for w11, so itā€™s scaling well. But if I werent constantly banging away at cash generation, Iā€™d be in deep doodoo

Cash is king in this game. My ad is banking, as is Heroā€™s. Is this the dominant gene?

I donā€™t mind the accounting focus. That mirrors real life.

Btw, I suspect Hero has an fpga imbedded in that earpiece of his loaded with Proteus algorithms. That dude is a machine!

2 Likes

It kinda seems like thatā€™s the case lol. What I imagine Hero to be like

2 Likes

Banking is more important here than in the first test game.
Also seems more valuable than other techs (if part of an alliance), as it soon marks a difference between the person who has cash and the poors with just a bunch of ships that canā€™t buy infrastructure or techs at the same rate.

So, if a new game with the same exact rules stars, itā€™d be difficult to choose anything different from ā€œsuperior bankingā€.

Everything else looks more balanced than previous game. And the invisible stars are really cool!