1v1 Legendary Level League [LLL 12/2023]

Not played for a while, but count me in too please!

Count me in !

Changes are brewing

Count me in!:+1:

Awesome! Then we have an even number of participants. I’ll set up the maps soon.

Happy new year!

2 Likes

Here are the 6 match-ups based on my calculations (countries and Top28 world ranks shown in brackets):

1. @Solfyre [US-1] vs. @Lex [CA-4]
  2. @plug [GB-2] vs. @Satirael [DK-8]
  3. @Macomber [CA-15] vs. @FinrodFelagund [DE]
  4. @Lorentz [24] vs. @gaz123 [27]
  5. @Razhib vs. @kaschei [AU]
  6. @SUP vs. @HOUSEBOAT_THANGS

Use the according map link I provided for your game in @Dysp’s tournament tracking tool - press the hyperlink symbol to the right of the names:
https://np2stats.dysp.info/tournament.php?tournament=90

Password is 1v1 - please join your game with your forum username by January 9 and post in the forum if you win to be considered in the world rankings.

The special setting for this round as determined by the poll in the OP is a closed start. Please check your maps and let me know if you see any potential issues in playing them - unfortunately the home star isn’t visible for me anymore while checking them, so it’s harder to assess their playability from the outside.

This map didn't make the cut

Came across this gem as well where it would take a little bit until the players meet on the battlefield :wink:

1 Like

By my calculations, I should meet the victory conditions in my game this next turn.

GGs @SUP

@Trucriot pls add the STARS AND BARS (US and A!) flag to my listing (if any). Thanks!

Congrats!

Unfortunately @Lorentz did not show up despite a reminder on Discord yet, so unless he joins the game within 24 hours, he automatically forfeits and @gaz123 wins their match.

1 Like

Exciting end to our game!

Early on, @Razhib managed to break through my front, and a rogue commando ship jumped around dealing economic damage to the back stars. A painful cat-and-mouse mini-game which tied up far too many of my ships.

But a concentrated research program and a lucky Warp Gate investment gave me a blind jump to the @Razhib’s home star. I took it, but they managed to rally with their own gates and counter attacked.
Though @Razhib took it for the cycle, the Economic damage had been done.

A fierce fight over the home system of @Razhib. I managed to regain and hold it. In the end, the loss of the big resource star was too much, and @Razhib graciously resigned.

Good game. I enjoyed the change of pace which 1v1 offers.

1 Like

Just looking at the stats, and it seems that Game 3, @Macomber vs @FinrodFelagund, is turning into a real epic! Very nicely balanced and close… It’ll be interesting to hear the story of the galaxy when you’re done.

1 Like

It has been a great game so far, for sure! To offer a mid-game update:

I got off to a strong start with a lot of sneaky warp gates that took Finrod by surprise. Because of the close starting distance, and some big juicy stars along our border that made it a bit cheaper to lay down warp gates off the bat, my strategy succeeded and I took control of the centre on both the west and east side of the map from an early point. For a good stretch, I had a lead of about 10 stars and I was in a good position - but I wasn’t able to really get an economic lead due to all the investment in warp gates. Due to generally being on the offensive, I also didn’t build up a lead in ships - but instead of going for manu, I decided to amp up my banking to try to recover economically. I then started to build up ships in the eastern side to attempt a big invasion there, leaving my western side somewhat weakened. I foolishly then decided to attack from the western side as well, instead of fortifying up, hoping for an overwhelming strike on both sides on the same turn… but Finrod chose that precise turn to attack on the western side in force, thus taking one of the big central stars there that was the crux of my defence. We essentially swapped stars, but the breakthrough allowed him to start rampaging around my western region, disrupting the whole sector and allowing for further attacks. He is steadily taking over the western border stars now and invading further inwards. He had a good lead in manufacturing for a while, leading to an imbalance of ships. My eastern invasion is succeeding to some extent, and so the map is now rotating around and we have an even star count.

An exciting game. Hard to say how it’ll turn out, but I would say that Finrod’s momentum and ship lead may be the deciding factors… a huge turnaround from earlier on where we both felt that I had the game close to sewn up! I am kicking myself a bit for my mistakes but it is hard to be too troubled when the game is so engaging.

2 Likes

Thanks kaschei!
I had a blast!

In the beginning I was quite hopeful. Felt that my eco strategy of Terra vs your Banking was more fruitful. The improvised commando-action on Schedir-Aldhafera also felt like a successful coup.

But sadly I could not establish complete control in the western wing. Especially Fin which woulda-coulda been my staging area to your capital star. This led to a considerable churn of ships in repeated conquests and liberations and a limited economic use of those contested resources.

The real beginning of my end was my pyrrhic defense of Fomalhaut. I had to commit a lot of carriers, ships and cash (that was then ultimately missing for that prods eco-invest) to build 2 warpgates to accelerate a fleet that was already enroute from my capital…

That warpgate on my capital then broke my neck when I ignored my lack of control or even vision of Fin and Bam from which you then launched your successful decapitation strike.

A devastating economic damage and spread out fleet marauding in my heart lands… There was not really a coming back from that.

Thank you for that experience!

PS: And regarding your hint in the in game chat: You are absolutely right. I did eschew the microing after quite some battles that you won by something like 1 ship. :smiley: After those experiences I went more for an all-in approach, no longer trying to calculate and guesstimate how many ships will be where :smiley:

Sounds like some really exciting games, glad you guys are having a blast!

2 Likes

I had a lot of fun in my game with @plug ,the game itself was fun, and it was fun getting back into NP, I honestly missed it I’ve realized, although at the time I stopped I also kinda needed a break.

Anyway @plug is winning next turn in our game, whenever they are ready to submit it.

It started out quite interesting with both of us rushing hyperspace due to some interesting map features that I expect are at least partly due to the close starting positions. For a while we were pretty equally matched up, until I started making a few small mistakes in terms of a wrong research priority on manufacturing too early in the game, I kinda forgot how few ships it get you early in the game, which allowed them to pull ahead in terraforming and in turn use their economy better. Comuined this with a few bad carrier moves on my end, it slowly allowed plug to pull ahead in ship count, as well as having a slightly more advantageous position in term of star location than me, which in turn allowed them to slowly but surely press my defenses until they broke.

A fun game, even if I was set on the back foot after the first few cycles (I don’t remember exactly when…), and I’ve take away a new insight or two, as well as remembered several old ones which I clearly forgot during my downtime… Hopefully I’ll be back stronger than ever next time, now that I’ve had some time to de-rust! (If there is a next time, regardless or not thanks for organizing this round, I really enjoy this.)

1 Like

Thanks for the game @Satirael - although I ended up with the win it was close for a long time. We had home stars that were very isolated, and the map geography meant we couldn’t easily use warp gates much. It came down to a few key battles, which somehow swung my way.

My game with @Lex just ended. It started pretty fast, with a lot of star swapping. Early on, i made a play for a strategically placed star that was just into his territory and range 3 from my home star. It cost me a lot of ships and a couple lost stars beyond said star, in addition to range 3 slowing down my economic growth. But, the advantage it gave me won the game eventually. Thanks Lex! Sorry work got in the way at the end.

At tick 324, after a game with a lot of great battling and twists and turns, I’ve conceded to @FinrodFelagund. Well played!

Well played to all of you! Hope you had fun. I may set up another tournament in the upcoming weeks :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would very much appreciate if the 1v1 League players could please make sure you have everything you need to continue playing in NP4.

The Triton server may go down in the next few months.

I see my game with Lorentz is still showing as not started. Lorentz did not show up so I guess I get a default win??