April/2021 1v1 EPIC Tournament with Mirrored Maps

OK - so sounds like we should cancel options #2 and #3.

I haven’t heard from @panblanco (RL must be keeping him busy) … so unless he chimes in real soon, we should declare a forfeit (happens) and @Trucriot and I should play in the Finals.

When are you ready to start that game … and does this map look acceptable to 'ya?

As explained in the personal message, I’d give @panblanco more time to show up. All three of us are busy right now (not signed up for any recent tournaments for a reason) and we’re not keeping anyone else waiting.

Map looks acceptable :wink:

Okey-Dokey …

Circling back to see if anyone is ready to play …

Looks like panblanco is still away. Let’s start the final game next week then.

Sounds good - let me know when you are ready to go.

Still planning on this map? I’ll join on the weekend then.

Works for me - sign up when you are ready and I’ll follow.

Ditto above @Trucriot

Just joined, sorry for the delay. I currently have very little continuous time to play because of a few ongoing shifts in my personal life.

Cool you jumped on - sorry about the RL issues, but hope that gets worked out.
I just signed up … now I have to remember how to play this game as it has been a while! :wink:

FYI that @Trucriot & I agreed to call the Championship game “Not Decided” due to RL issues and I’ve updated the OP to reflect the final results.

Note the my semi-final game against @panblanco was also called due to RL issues. This is an issue with the current format of these 1v1 games … since games can take months to finish … and the tournament a year!

So I doubt I’ll organize anymore like this. I’m thinking either smaller maps and/or some sort of time-based deadlines would be better … such as the “Flying Swiss” format.

These recently larger KO tournament timeframes of up to one year are truly a long time and nearly impossible to commit to. I think the organically adjusted settings over the last years made the games more and more fair, but also tighter. The skill density also increased and the number of participants grew.

I would love to see the tradition of the EPIC KO tournaments continued though. One or more of these adjustments could help / be experimented with:

• 16 player limit (maximum of 4 rounds guaranteed for every player)
  • 1 month per game as a time limit with an enforced tiebreaker rule (thus ensuring a fixed timeframe to plan with)
  • Starting Distance Medium or Close
  • More Ticks per Jump
  • Random Warp Gates
  • More Starting Stars
  • Automatic increases of weapon levels based on ticks (something that Jay would need to implement first though)

Maybe some others also have ideas on how to keep this format alive.

1 Like